ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Attemping boosted ph1

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Awesome news..

Everything back in together and running like a dream clutch is perfect thanks to chip :) all ready for blyton tommorow now..

No way this car is getting stripped :p

AWESOME news mate, really really pleased for you :)

So glad I could help you out with the clutch, would have been silly for such an epic little car to die over just the clutch.

Obviously with that one being part worn it wont last quite as well as a new one, but when it does wear out you can just send it back to helix and for under 100 quid they will put new paddles onto the existing plate I believe.

Ph1 T
Spent most of the day under the car not in it.. Tyrea were shite Oil return pipe split on track and was an absolute nightmare to get a new one on then on the way home bolts on the turbo started coming loose all in all a s**t day..

Conclusion the clio is getting stripped and me and my mate are doing another project together.. He has a clio ATM so both familiar with them and with costs ect should be better not throwing stupid money at this one just pure fun stripped and tyres :)

Chip thanks for the massive help with the clutch it was spot on ill be sending you some money over for that..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surely you were expecting a few teething troubles on your first shakedown?

I think its a real shame if you give up just cause of a few minor dramas like that, all sounds pretty easy to sort.

Ive had far worse days out than that in the early stages of projects, its just part of the development process.

Although obviously if you just want to drive a car and not enjoy developing it then you'll view it differently to how I would I guess.

Ph1 T
I was expecting niggles and yeah it is only little things but in all honesty with amount of stuff I've got on this year ill be struggling to afford to get the car out much anyway..

It is a shame as I look at it on the drive now and think that looks awesome but people's mindsets are different with fixing things time money ect..

In all honesty I wish I'd of kept the engine standard and spent the money on other upgrades but its all a big learning curve I suppose and don't regret doing it just at present I don't have the time and efforts to put into it that it needs..

Ph1 T
That is the other option.. The car was running lovely first few hours just don't know when ill have time and money to do the bits I want.. A good think is needed

Thanks again for all ya help through the build though chip

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That is the other option.. The car was running lovely first few hours just don't know when ill have time and money to do the bits I want.. A good think is needed

Its easy for the last thing that happened to stick strongest in your mind, did you get some videos of you destroying normal 172s etc early in the day? that would be a nice momento :)

Thanks again for all ya help through the build though chip 

Its been a pleasure mate, shame we are so far apart though!
But it is still looking like we are moving to newark soon (although still no exchange of contracts yet so not certain) so I might even be able to get a bit more hands on with helping you if you do put it to one side till winter :)

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I think you have to be fairly handy with the spanners to
run something like this, either that or have deep pockets.

For me for starting out doing track days I think you'd be better with a standard car engine wise and then Concentrate on suspension, brake and tyre upgrades.

vx220 + 172 cup
Joe with the turbo 106 knows some one selling a striped out 106 with cage and 170 bhp for sale ment to be a good price. If. Was u I would just stick with urs mate looked good today. Just need a bit of tweekin.

Gah can't believe I missed this - Joes a really good mate of mine and was trying to make it over to see how the 106 ran, completely forgot about it.
Gutted

Can't believe your breaking it - I know it sucks when you get out for a day and everything goes wrong
I'm sooo tempted to sell my bodies and boost mine though lol

Ph1 T
Small world!!!!

Joe wasn't running today mate his turbo fell apart the day before he came down to watch us lot..

Sell your bodies buy my boosted engine :)

Oh man - that's not good news. Better drop him a message

Yeah I know Joe from years back with the 106owners stuff - helped build the turbo car ;)
Every time I go out in it I feel like selling my bodies and going boost

We should just swap - then you'd get a reliable 200bhp engine hehe

Ph1 T
The decision I've made for the minute is ill be stripping the car but keeping the rolling shell and engine and starting from scratch getting the engine niggles and steering niggles perfect.. And using all the proper materials where at the min alot is just 'it'll do'

Engine wise taking my time on everything make sure every pipe wire ect near the turbo is fully heat wrapped all the down pipe ect ill also be going to 2.5" downpipe and exhaust instead of 2.25" steering ill be replacing all bushes ect and suspension..

New suspension,seats,exhaust,wheels tyres, ph2 flocked dash and engine all perfect there's no rush as Ill not be doing another Trackday in it this year

Hoping to have it all rebuilt by the end of the year to have some serious fun in it next :)

Countryman JCW
The oilfeed pipe split on mine too, so it got replaced with a Pirtek super high temp one, seems to be fine now but its not seen a track since being changed though....

Ph1 T
Also Ill not be cutting any more corners like not fitting oil cooler and catch tank ect everything's going to be done properly but as It was my only way of transport I kind of rushed it the first time round

Ph1 T
Yeah would like rid of the power steering pipes tbh just something else to go wrong and be in the way..

What they like to drive without power steering though never drove a car without it? Suppose it won't matter too much as it'll be track car but wouldn't want it to be too difficult

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The decision I've made for the minute is ill be stripping the car but keeping the rolling shell and engine and starting from scratch getting the engine niggles and steering niggles perfect.. And using all the proper materials where at the min alot is just 'it'll do'

Engine wise taking my time on everything make sure every pipe wire ect near the turbo is fully heat wrapped all the down pipe ect ill also be going to 2.5" downpipe and exhaust instead of 2.25" steering ill be replacing all bushes ect and suspension..

New suspension,seats,exhaust,wheels tyres, ph2 flocked dash and engine all perfect there's no rush as Ill not be doing another Trackday in it this year

Hoping to have it all rebuilt by the end of the year to have some serious fun in it next :)

Excellent news mate :)

Will be epic once you have finished that lot.

If you can find a spare grand (not like they are ever really spare though, lol) for a diff as well its a great investment.

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Such a shame really that you didnt see much track time, but as above the problems you had were mainly oil return problems/bolts coming loose, sort the niggles out, get proper pipes for everything and it'll be a great little car mate :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its worth spending extra money on the bolts for things like turbo too, if you are on 8.8 grade for example they will just fall out continually.

Interesting you should say that - spoke to Joe earlier and the issue he had with his 106 Turbo is he went for a drive out and the bolts holding the exhaust to turbo fell out

What bolts should you use?

Ph1 T
This is exactly what happened to me on the way home aswell sounded like a right heap of shite literally didn't go over 40 all the way home..

Actually really looking forward to all this now.. And yeah I'd like to know what bolts/nuts to get as ill be replacing them all

Gutted to see this be broke for parts

Can't you just use some removable locktite? Or is that a big no no

Last edited: