ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AUSSIE 172 Cold start

172 CLIO Sport Maserati

Hi All

I have a Aus spec 172 and that means a Renault has had fiddle with the Computer to suit the Aussie Polution regs. There is no change to the way that the car goes when warm( past 1/4 on the guage). Before that the car is sluggish hesitant and generally dead. A good number of them will not start first go even following the handbook recomendations. Our local Aussie Froggs web site has lots of discussion about it.

I complained on my last service and was told the official line and I read it said the setup was for local polution regs and thats the way it is.

Is this an issue in the UK and if not does anyone have a copy of the Computer program for the car.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Ours run lumpy at tickover/cold.

Again its down to the emissions, but Im not sure of any bad starting problems.

172 CLIO Sport Maserati

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 21 November 2004

Theres not much they can or will do. The engine is mapped to keep the emmisions down.

In 2004 to me this is unacceptable at least being able to start the car would be a prerequiste as a warranty issue.

Quote: Originally posted by AU-YT on 21 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 21 November 2004

Theres not much they can or will do. The engine is mapped to keep the emmisions down.
In 2004 to me this is unacceptable at least being able to start the car would be a prerequiste as a warranty issue.
I agree with its terriable quality. Have you tired the recomended idea of giving the engine a few second till all the lights go out ie like you do with a diesel before you engate the starter.

Black 182 + Recaros

"Have you tired the recomended idea of giving the engine a few second till all the lights go out..."

As Edde says, this generally works well for me. The first thing I do when I jump in the car is turn the ignition part-way, then I prep myself, glasses on etc (no make-up ;)), then shes usually ready for lift off. Hey thats how it feels sometimes.

I have a 2001 OZ 172. Never have experienced the cold start issue, but I have heard others with the same complaint. Few people on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oz_Clio_Sportyahoo forum come to mind... BUT, I believe if you wait until you hear the fuel pump prime, then start the car, should not be an issue. As for the sugglish driving, i sometime get that, but only lasts for a couple of minutes. And again, shouldmt be "giving it" to the car until is warm

172 CLIO Sport Maserati

Hi Guys

Yes to all the sujestions, waiting till the lights and the pump do there thing and as for giving it to it you cannot . To give you some idea you need three times as much trottle movement just to get to 2,000. then it takes its time. But if you do and the temp hits 1/4 Hang the program changes at this point and it takes off. And yes this may be part of the protection built in but its the way it does it $u(ks

Also from memory the s1 has cable throttle the s2 Fly by wire. This also equates to a difference.for me the S2 feels much more responsive under foot.