ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

auto wipers not working

Golf GTD Mk7
Had my windscreen changed by autoglass the other week. The correct one was replaced and wipers worked fine, as do the headlights. But they seem to have now stopped working? The work find on all other setting, just not the auto. They'll move once when you click down into the position, but then nothing.

Fuse? Relay? Autoglass not connected something correctly? Any ideas?

Clio 182
I had this same problem with Auto Windscreens back in February ... and it was only resolved last month! After ALOT of phonecalls and a couple of complaints! Think they thought I didn't know what I was talking about as I was a girl :mad:

Like you say the wipers would work fine to start with but after a week or so they would gradually get worse and worse to the point where they wouldn't work on auto at all.

My problem was with the gel pad where the sensor is on the windscreen. If you look at yours ... is it like a milky colour? If so then you probably have the same problem as me. For the sensor to work the gel pad needs to be clear i.e. pushed firmly up against the windscreen.

Auto Windscreens replaced my screen THREE times trying to rectify the problem (after trying to fob me off I must add!). Where Auto Windscreens were using 'copies' of the original Renault glass the brackets that hold the sensor bit were bending (crap quality) which is why the gel pad looked milky coloured after a week or so after gradually coming away from the screen and thus the sensor was not working properly. If I pushed my hand hard up behind the rear view mirror making the gel pad appear clear again from the outside, the wipers worked fine which is how I knew it wasn't a faulty sensor ... but trying to get them to believe me was near on impossible!

In the end I INSISTED I had a genuine Renault glass and hey presto the problem went away!

Hope you get it sorted ... windscreen companies are a nightmare!

not a bloody clio!!!
Thats because AutoWindscreens use UKG glass and its utter shite. I fitted it for 7 years :rolleyes:

Now with regards to autoglass Just call your local branch mate and they will be rite out to fix it. 12 month warenty on glass and life time warenty o workmanship. Dont call the 0800 number either go in to your local branch or bell them up :cool:

Golf GTD Mk7
Yeah just had a look. Looks kind of cloudy yeah. See what they say tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up

Golf GTD Mk7
they came out to see if there was an issue, he squired some fluid on the screen and it worked :mad:. So annoying. The only thing that had changed from the day it didn't work to the day it did is I changed my RStuner map. Wierd

Clio sport 172
having the same problem as you mate. After having to get autoglass to refit my new windscreen and t cut my roof because they badly scratched it my auto wipers are now not working. My brothers 182 looks all clear but mine looks all cloudy where it isn't up against the screen properly. If you pour liquid on it, it will work but in normal rain it won't.

None
I found a solution to this that worked for me, i first tried someones idea of using ibuprofen gel but it doesn't work for long as this dries out too quick so i then came up with the idea of using clear silicone sealer on both the gel pad to sensor and gel pad to windscreen, works a treat, sometimes a little slow still in detecting the light rain but it's much better than before and it doesn't leave the pad looking cloudy or hazy, it looks brand new from the outside, just make sure you don't allow bubbles in when you press the two together.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I had this issue when mine was replaced by Autoglass. It's because the sensor isn't touching the windscreen. The guy fixed mine by putting some sticky pads between the bracket and sensor so it would contact with windscreen.

'04 182
I think mine must have been bypassed at sometime. On auto position they just work intermittent, no matter if it's raining of not, and the sensitivity doesn't make any difference. I can live with it though.

None
I think mine must have been bypassed at sometime. On auto position they just work intermittent, no matter if it's raining of not, and the sensitivity doesn't make any difference. I can live with it though.

I would rather have the standard intermitent ones back, the auto ones have been nothing but a pain for me, i liked having control myself :)

If anyone knows how to bypass the auto setting i would love to know?

Some models (including the Trophy if you change the wiper stalk) still have the sensitivity bezel thing that the ff's have, but instead of being auto it lets you select one of five (I think) different speeds for intermittent, and then obviously you still have the normal and really fast speed after that - perfect, complete control!

Any auto electric experts out there - can it be done, I hate the auto wiper thing.

Although I don't know if, when it's on normal speed (on those other models), the wipers stop when you pull up, and then start again when you pull away - I like that feature.

I've seen people say you can disable the auto wiper thing - but I don't think you can. I think only the auto headlights can be disabled (but even that's not permanent - you'd have to do it every time you drove the car.)

None
Odd thing is that the FF 182 has the sensitivity controler on the stalk so why not make it usable?

Some say their auto wipers work perfectly - I've only ever found them an utter pita. If it's not raining hard enough for the 'normal' speed I'm constantly turning them on and off to keep the windscreen clear - arrghh!

P.S. Sorry Jonny, not exactly helping you this is it.