ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Autocar Latest Issue All Hot Hatches

Bought the magazine over the weekend.

It had the 182 and all the other hot hatches, comparing them all, im sure some of you might have seen it.

It had the 182 doing a 0-60 in 6.73seconds just a fraction quicker than the new face lifted type r, was it Autocar that also said it done it in around 6.3 seconds (182)

Can someone please explain how a 182 is quicker to 60 than a cup without starting world war 3.

The cup weighs 70kg,s lighter, but the 182 does have 10bhp more, i know that many people have discussed this matter just recently and some converstiaons have turned bitter, but i dont see how an extra 10bhp would make that much of a difference. I know it all comes down to the launch, and the driver, but the cup is alot lighter and has the same engine.

The new magane RS was quick aswell just a fraction over 6 seconds to 60, but the Alpha Romeo pissed on all of them.

I do like the 182 but the monthly payments were to much, it would have cost an arm and a leg to switch from a cup to the 182.

Lee

BMW M2C

It appears that the 182 wins the 0 - 60 sprint over the Cup due to the traction of the wider tyres.

205 as opposed to 195 in width.

I know it might be the tyres but when comparing all the cars the 182 managed 6.73,. It might be the mileage aswell, that sounds more realistic, renault claims the 0-62 time in 7.1 seconds..

Ph1 172

It proberly has alot to do with whos in the driving seat at the time. If the conditions are right, and you have a good driver that can side step the clutch well, this could be possible.

Or perhaps they just made a misprint and it is supposed to read 7.73 secs;)

(Only kidding)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by 172mgw on 04 May 2004

*shouts to nearest mod* quick lock the thread, b4 it gets outta hand again! lmao!
Dont worry, Im warming up my delete finger as we speak.;)

The 182 scored a 6.73 and 17.01 in the test.

The Cup has done the 0-60 dash in 6.5 according to Evo, so the cup has been proven to do the 60 dash quicker. As for the 100 dash, im sure thats in the 182s favour.

Honestly i dont want to start any arguments, i just want to know.

I know that the 172 mk1 mk2 cup and 182 are all similar in performance, it all depends on the launch and driver ability, but its amazing how 10bhp and a set of tyres can make that much of a differrence.

anyone hear that has exchanged there 172s, cups for the 182s can you feel the difference in performance.

Lee

BMW M2C

Im waiting for my 182 to arrive, but I know its going to feel slow compared to my nicely loosened up 20k mile 172. Id need one with a fair few miles on the clock for a reasonable comparison.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 04 May 2004

The Cup has done the 0-60 dash in 6.5 according to Evo, so the cup has been proven to do the 60 dash quicker. As for the 100 dash, im sure thats in the 182s favour.
if we are talking 0-60 then this time (6.73) doesnt really count as the test was to 0-100 and back to 0. In a 182 you can hit just over 60 in second gear which is perfect for 0-60 as you dont have to change at the last second (which would obviously slow the time down like it deos in the CTR having 6 gears).

In the first 0-60 autocar test the 182 got 6.3 secs. In the 0-100-0 test it was 6.7 because to get to 100 you need to change into third and the optimum time to do that is just before or on the 60 mark which therefore slows down the 0-60 time in that particular dash as they were aiming for 100 not 60!

The Cup will beat a 182 to 100 I think but the 0-60 sprint will go to a 182.

Correct me if I am wrong (but with reasons please, not just silly statements!)

dk

911 GTS Cab

well obviously some people do as the question has been asked, I was just answering it???

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

ok. but still its pretty obvious why the 182 is a smidge quicker.

Its had more money spent on development. its supposed to be better than the clios before it. that is fact.

The times are dependant on so many things they should just be seen as a guide to the cars performance. You maybe able to better them or you might not be able to get near them, but thats where the fun is to be had.

Yep, standard 172/182/Cup aint anything to right home about in a straight line really. 15.2>15.5 1/4 mile at about 89-92 mph is the average.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

* # * # ** # * # ** # * # ** # * # ** # * # *
* # * # * YAWN @ THIS THREAD * # * # *
* # * # ** # * # ** # * # ** # * # ** # * # *

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

*But you cant simply just pluck figures out of the air because you dont think its correct surely?

if its been tested to do 6.3 and 6.5 then the logical 0-60 time would average 6.4 based on the most accurate sources we can get our hands on.

Same with the cup. which from what i have seen averages about 6.5 to 60.

But like i said before these figures are all but a guide. the actual performance may vary.

[Edited by Tomclio182 on 04 May 2004 at 2:00pm]

For Christs sake, whats 0.5 of a second between friends? Or are we not friends here?!

B

O

R

I

N

G

!

!

!

Forgetting the insanely dull argument about which car is quicker, does anyone know which hot hatches feature in this Autocar test?

VW Potato

alfa gta is one of them. The picture shows smoke pouring from its front wheels to which my mate said: ooooh, look, the engines blown up. Git.

g

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 04 May 2004

Ive got the latest copy of autocar (0-100-0 edition) and on the day they got the 0-60 down as 6.73 & 0-100 as 17.01 but if you look at the roadtest section at the back its also got the 182 down for 0-60 @ 6.3 & 17.0 @ 0-100.

does it really matter? 0.1 or 0.2 of a second difference!! that could be slightly more/less revs, little bit of wheelspin! the fact that the driver had a big breakfast!! its not really worth gettin all worked up about!