ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Autocar this week

Top 15 cars for under £15K

Cup pipped to post by Type R - No 1 Shock -Mazda Mx-5!!!!!!

Cooper S - nowhere to be seen and not so good a review! At leas the type R boys will be having a chuckle right about now!

320d M Sport

yeah this was posted yesterday as well, check a few pages earlier, bottom line was they give it too cars MORE than £15k?!?

Was just going to post the same myself!! Have the copy in front of me.

Selected highlights:

Lap time:

CTR: 1.26.56

Cup: 1.27.03

VTS: 1.27.55 (y)

106 GTi: 1.27.86

Caterham 1.4: 1.27.87

Astra GSi Turbo: 1.28.25

206 GTi 180: 1.28.65

Cooper-S: 1.28.90

MG ZR 160: 1.29.09

Focus ST170: 1.29.71

Mondeo 2.0: 1.30.11 (Wow!!!!) :eek:

SEAT Leon Cupra: 1.31.05

Lupo GTi: 1.31.20

Octavia RS: 1.31.84

Ibiza TDi 130bhp: 1.32.09

I was surprised to see that the Cooper-S and Pug 206 180 were a fair bit slower around the track than the Cup, CTR - and especially the 106 GTi/Saxo VTS. Look at what the boggo Mondeo 2.0 is faster than too!

Apart from the Burberry cap jibes, I would be happy to recommend a VTS to anyone.

Is this sl*g CUPSIZE day BenR?............or are you just having a bad day?

BenH - I agree, the 180Pug is only out! Hasnt really taken of yet though! They really should have made more of it performance wise? Yeah, the cooper S, not realy as quickas its made out to be! Impressed with the VTS, craggy will be well chuffed - his VTS would probs take the number 1 spot had they used his!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, my mate with a CTR pointed this out to me at work (I wonder why?!), so I had a quick read at lunchtime...

Impressed by the lap time of the Civic as I was always lead to believe it was bl00dy quick, but not quite as sharp in the handling stakes. Seems we were mislead.

As for the 106 GTi and Saxo VTS being so bl00dy close the Cup I am shocked! :eek:

The Clio "should" have walked it here, but the 106 & Saxo even with that massive power disadvantage did a blinding job and were nearly as quick! :D

Also, how did the Caterham come 5th and get beaten by the CTR, Cup, VTS & 106?!

Cooper S was slow, new 206 GTi-180 wasnt great either (but beat the Mini), the ST170 was poo, yet Mondeo was pretty good and surprised the Octavia RS and Lupo GTi werent better.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 30 April 2003

bedfords track (depending which one they used) are quire long and have taxing straights.
Apparently, they used the twisty bits to eliminate any speed advantage some cars may have had and even the playing field.

As such Id have expected the Caterham with 194bhp/tonne to win easily?!