ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AUX belt, 172Cup, DIY-able?

got the 72k service to do and have ordered an AUX belt. just reading the workshop manual, it states that the tension should be checked with tool 'Mot. 1505'

just wondering if this is DIY-able. i don't want to chance it and would rather pay to have it done professionally if there's any doubt

340i
yes.... quite easy as a "DIY" job.

IIRC you should be able to push the belt in around 1" on the longest part once tensioned?

thanks. it's just the manual that bothers me - saying that the tension should be '183Hz +/-9', by this tool

is the oldschool method 100% reliable?

Lionel Richie
never seen that tool used once in 9 years!

generally with belts the rule is longest run, thumb and finger, max twist is 45degrees

340i
Mine has been fine for 10,000 miles :)

Its common sense TBH... just feel what the tension is like on your orignal belt, it doesnt need to be 100% correct tension of what the manual states

Just remember to check the tension after a few miles

ITB'd MK1
just make sure you look at the belt run before taking the old one off and you'll be fine. Seen renault c**k that up and run the belt on the wrong side of the waterpump

just re-visiting; AUX belt has changed fine - seemed quite simple, although did manage to snap the arch liner, getting it off (gaffer tape = fixed)

sorry Paul, missed your reply (and your avatar/signature!). i didn't twig that it might have been yours - did see the '225 inside' sticker though, so wondered if it might have been an enthusiast's car. looked clean! hopefully get the weather to wash mine for the first time in months this week:rolleyes: