ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Away to change the caliper,disks and pads

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Any tips for me guys?

The drivers side caliper is sticking cause one side to wear the pads and disk. So im just renewing the lot while i have the caliper off.

Im handy with a set off tools but since everything is a first for me on the 172 i thought i had better ask before i start taking things apart.

Any steps or tips would be appreciated:D

PH1 172 Sport
^^ Yeah pay your tenner you tight arse!! You get a nice keyring, tax disk holder and cliosport sticker out of it.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Yeah mate, was really good info:D

Have a few questions for anyone in the know though.............

I took the caliper off to find the outside pad was really worn and the inside pad was not far of new. What could this mean? I would have though that both pads would have been near just as worn.

Could this be caused by a sticky cylinder?

Didnt help that one of the two prongs on the pad were sticking out of the caliper.

Anyway, new disk, pads and second hand caliper on now. Just need to do the other side and bleed the brakes

Any info on the pad situation would be mucho appreciated :)

PH1 172 Sport
Yeah mate, was really good info:D

Have a few questions for anyone in the know though.............

I took the caliper off to find the outside pad was really worn and the inside pad was not far of new. What could this mean? I would have though that both pads would have been near just as worn.

Its normally the other way round as the inside pad is the one thats got all the pressure on it from the piston.

Could this be caused by a sticky cylinder?

Possibly its worth checking the sliders are well greased and move freely on the replacement caliper

Didnt help that one of the two prongs on the pad were sticking out of the caliper.

Anyway, new disk, pads and second hand caliper on now. Just need to do the other side and bleed the brakes

Any info on the pad situation would be mucho appreciated :)

See above!

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Yeah the sliders are fine mate. First thing i checked.

Im guessing it was the cylinder that was nacked.

Heres hoping the replacement caliper is fine.

How long did it take you to do them bud ?

There a piece of piss to change :)

I did mine in a couple of hours :)

Although the screw for the disc needed an impact screwdriver (the ones you hit with hammer) to free it :(

Astra van,Mk1 nova
How long did it take you to do them bud ?

There a piece of piss to change :)

I did mine in a couple of hours :)

Although the screw for the disc needed an impact screwdriver (the ones you hit with hammer) to free it :(

Thats because yours is a rotton old piece of s**t ;) you know i love you!

Took a couple of hours to do the caliper, disk and pads. Every thing came off very nicely with no hassle what so ever. Had to take the strut brace and engine cover off to get to the brake fluid resevoir tho.

Thats because yours is a rotton old piece of s**t ;) you know i love you!

Took a couple of hours to do the caliper, disk and pads. Every thing came off very nicely with no hassle what so ever. Had to take the strut brace and engine cover off to get to the brake fluid resevoir tho.

That makes us, the two with rotten 172's in Aberdeen

haha :rasp:

It was only the discs screws everything else was plain sailing asn peice of piss to strip.

No sticky calipers or nearly 70k miles here :rasp: