ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AWT / GDI / My Clio 217 bhp (180lb/ft)

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Well it's taken a while, has caused a few little arguments, but she is very nearly finished.

Went on the rollers today at mass for the second time in a week. The first time she decided to destroy a plug which brought things to an early close for the day.

GDI have worked flat out this week to get it back up and running 100% ready for today's session, which it was.

The main change between this figure and the previous one 205 are ...

AngelWorks Technologies Billet cams
AngelWorks Technologies stage 2 manifold work
Omex 600 ECU

The change these have made to the car is quite amazing when driving.

Its the first Stage 2 manifold Ben has done, and it would appear it flows beautifully. It took a hell of a lot of work, and he may take some serious £££ persuasion to make him do another ;)

Many thanks to Andy, Stu, Phil and Bex for your hard work and more importantly coping with me and my occasional strops.

Ben, thank you for answering my daily calls for the last 2 months, not even once did you tell me to piss off. You do realise its not going to stop now.

Picking it up (again) on fri/sat so I will get some pics if anyone is interested.

If I can be arsed, I will post a full spec list in a bit.

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
nice mate, love these threads! and yep full spec pleeeease!!

i need to save £££ for a nice bottom end for more power :)

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Ok then ... in chronological order (italic items are no longer in car)

De-cat
ITG panel filter
Pro-Speed system (001) ;)

Piper Cams
SMT6
AWT manifold work (stage 1)

ITG Maxogen

AWT Headwork
Peco Injectors
GDI Lightened and balanced flywheel
Brembo 4 Pots / Braided hoses

AWT Billet cams

AWT Stage 2 Manifold work
Omex ECU
Innovations AFR meter
SPA Oil gauge
AWT 15 row oil cooler kit (with oil pressure/temp sender)
Racelogic Traction Control
Leda coilovers
Higher spec plugs !!!!!
Recaro Profi SPG seats
Momo millenium evo wheel

erm ... might have missed a bit or two ...

ITB'd Ph1 172
Ross

You have been a pleasure! Always welcome to the workshop! You'll have to still visit lots or the gdi kitten's will miss you! Now yours is awake ,now i have to get my clio up and running again!!!!;)

E91 M Sport
BenR said:
best get that premium rate line installed..................

What, Hong Kong Hotties? quality line that...didn't realise it were you! ;)

Ross, your neighbours will now wonder why that mobile shed is missing from your front garden ;)

You have a LOT of driving to do to make up for this time off....starting with the 'ring! (or perhaps the '660 ;))

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
its got the most impressive array of gadgets in it..

the AFR meter is a definate must have in a tuned car....

plus it looks damn cool....

its got other good features as well, being able to output wideband voltages to the Omex etc.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
good results, what alloys did you go for? at a rough guess 6kish of mods there eh, yeh show us the gadgets!

MKIII 138
rmccardal said:
I'll just turn up then .....

just show us some 0-100 vids (oh damn you dont do those i remember from last time when i asked at 197hp nearly two years ago) :D

pics or sounds please

MKIII 138
havin just read about this clio with 217hp and 180lbft the cost to install and reliably run this must in total equal over 6K including new ECU race logic etc.. not to mention to ammount of free time taken outside of work to get to GDI and remap and setup etc..

is there a point where there isnt any point ? i.e 6K for breaks,ecu,seats,cams, zorst, tc system etc..on a car thats whole point is to be a cheap, fun and fast little run around for people on a budget, with a good modern design in terms of safety and interior kit.

all only for 217bhp ? you possibly could have turbo charged or supercharge for this total cost and produced massive torque (although those lbft figures are great for a 2.0 16v) and large bhp i.e 270bhp with posibility for 300bhp.
of perhaps an engine transplant with 6k spent you could have 350bhp or more ala jned

or just keep the decent economy, insurance and great pace of the 182 and fair enough spend £1k on engine to reach a genuine 190hp leave it at that.

it looks like a really beasty car and i bet it shifts like fook given lightweight and power it must be great 30-70 60-100 just seems like a lot of money spent on something that has below average everything in terms of quality..

alternativley there are now turbo hatches both petrol and diesel with 180bhp that can gain 40-50bhp and simular torque for £250 remap ! you have spent ££££

still fantastic but cant help but think lot of cash spent on a now old shape clio

VaVa
rmccardal said:
Well it's taken a while, has caused a few little arguments, but she is very nearly finished.

Went on the rollers today at mass for the second time in a week. The first time she decided to destroy a plug which brought things to an early close for the day.

GDI have worked flat out this week to get it back up and running 100% ready for today's session, which it was.

The main change between this figure and the previous one 205 are ...

AngelWorks Technologies Billet cams
AngelWorks Technologies stage 2 manifold work
Omex 600 ECU

The change these have made to the car is quite amazing when driving.

Its the first Stage 2 manifold Ben has done, and it would appear it flows beautifully. It took a hell of a lot of work, and he may take some serious £££ persuasion to make him do another ;)

Many thanks to Andy, Stu, Phil and Bex for your hard work and more importantly coping with me and my occasional strops.

Ben, thank you for answering my daily calls for the last 2 months, not even once did you tell me to piss off. You do realise its not going to stop now.

Picking it up (again) on fri/sat so I will get some pics if anyone is interested.

If I can be arsed, I will post a full spec list in a bit.

I think thats the first post I've seen from you where you've not been having a snipe at someone. lol.

Car spec sounds fantastic!! :D :approve:

Last edited:
rational and 'i want' have nothing to do with eachother.

i have a beat up valver, i just spent its own worth on suspension components..........no particular sound financial and sane reason..........infact, its more fun because its not sensible.

meggerman said:
havin just read about this clio with 217hp and 180lbft the cost to install and reliably run this must in total equal over 6K including new ECU race logic etc.. not to mention to ammount of free time taken outside of work to get to GDI and remap and setup etc..

is there a point where there isnt any point ? i.e 6K for breaks,ecu,seats,cams, zorst, tc system etc..on a car thats whole point is to be a cheap, fun and fast little run around for people on a budget, with a good modern design in terms of safety and interior kit.

all only for 217bhp ? you possibly could have turbo charged or supercharge for this total cost and produced massive torque (although those lbft figures are great for a 2.0 16v) and large bhp i.e 270bhp with posibility for 300bhp.
of perhaps an engine transplant with 6k spent you could have 350bhp or more ala jned

or just keep the decent economy, insurance and great pace of the 182 and fair enough spend £1k on engine to reach a genuine 190hp leave it at that.

it looks like a really beasty car and i bet it shifts like fook given lightweight and power it must be great 30-70 60-100 just seems like a lot of money spent on something that has below average everything in terms of quality..

alternativley there are now turbo hatches both petrol and diesel with 180bhp that can gain 40-50bhp and simular torque for £250 remap ! you have spent ££££

still fantastic but cant help but think lot of cash spent on a now old shape clio

Ross,

someone was going to say it.

PMSL

/y0z

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
meggerman said:

I think the point is Ross "wanted" to do it, if there is no other reason then that is enough on its own.

Ross has also taken some risks with the tuning by having the guts to try some new ideas and new products that have been developed on his car, hence the reason its taken quite a while.

Andy

Meggerman i dont think you quite "get it" do you. And as for the financial comments lets face it if you wanted to make a sensible choice regarding a car it would be to not buy one, they're a moneypit with no return anyway.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Must be a killer for you then. Same figure atw but you have bodies and a new bottom end.... probably that dodgy headwork.

Anyway, didnt think you were going to speaking to me again ?

y0z2a said:
Ross,

someone was going to say it.

PMSL

/y0z

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
I dont see a point in what you have written. This car is my toy/hobby. I didnt want a laggy turbo, and if I did it would be making nearer 400bhp ... unlike the iffy ones currently on the market. :D

meggerman said:

FlamingMonkey said:
hehe having a snipe at Yoz in a thread about YOUR car, nice work lol

What you gonna do with this car, track it, 1/4 mile?

kids can't help them selves rob.

pmsl

/y0z

Ross I saw your car the other day when at GDI and had a good look around it. Very nice all tastefully done and as said it must fly.

What turbo hatches are there in the clio class I thought they were all in the class above?

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Cheers mate :)

MarkM said:
Ross I saw your car the other day when at GDI and had a good look around it. Very nice all tastefully done and as said it must fly.

What turbo hatches are there in the clio class I thought they were all in the class above?

MKIII 138
MarkM said:

true, they are in the hatchback sector, dont get me wrong i think its awesome, in fact its everything i would do i mean that, i want an LSD, and Racelogic for my Cup (can be done before someone mentions ABS and the guy from racelogic i spoke to said it would work really well on a cup) id want a decent exhaust and induction + cams and correct fuelling etc.. bigger breaks also in my cup would be nice

your right loony i dont "get it" not on a N/A clio supermini, i know people do mad 4x4 conversions etc.. other crazy stuff but i thought the entire point of the 172/182 was to be a cheap to buy, cheap to maintain supermini with good fuel econ and due to low weight makes the cars fast.

how much in total ?? £6,000 at least surley including everything, if you bought the 182 for say 12k and added the 6k then that would be £18,000 car you could have.. a mate of mine spent £18k on his last car a 380bhp evo 7 looked mint and did 0-60 in around 4 secs and 0-100 in 10 secs

Last edited:
  Audi A6 (S3 on order)
It's about choice though. Your mate wanted an evo !! this is what I wanted .... understanding now ? lol