ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AWT / GDI / My Clio 217 bhp (180lb/ft)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Suppose it depends what you want out of your car! My mk1 clio is 215bhp and weighs under 900kg.

Fair doo's its not my every day car, but its great FUN!

for the money i could have bought an evo 4, but i have every confidence that the clio would spank an evo 4 on track, and in a straight line (unless its modded a lot of course)

I used to have a scooby which was 280bhp, and the clio is twice a much fun to drive! and other than off the line to about 50mph, would kick its ass too! :)

Clio v6
Sorry to swear but f**k me you can't win with some people. Spend £6k on a shitty body kit and you get dammed. Spend £6k on proper engine work and you get dammed. :evil:

Choice.

Because I can.

A bit of fun.

Something interesting.

Its my car.

My cash.

I don't give a.

Might be one of the above (or all).

:D

meggerman said:
true, they are in the hatchback sector, dont get me wrong i think its awesome, in fact its everything i would do i mean that, i want an LSD, and Racelogic for my Cup (can be done before someone mentions ABS and the guy from racelogic i spoke to said it would work really well on a cup) id want a decent exhaust and induction + cams and correct fuelling etc.. bigger breaks also in my cup would be nice

your right loony i dont "get it" not on a N/A clio supermini, i know people do mad 4x4 conversions etc.. other crazy stuff but i thought the entire point of the 172/182 was to be a cheap to buy, cheap to maintain supermini with good fuel econ and due to low weight makes the cars fast.

how much in total ?? £6,000 at least surley including everything, if you bought the 182 for say 12k and added the 6k then that would be £18,000 car you could have.. a mate of mine spent £18k on his last car a 380bhp evo 7 looked mint and did 0-60 in around 4 secs and 0-100 in 10 secs

Not to dwell on the whys and why nots but heres my opinion.

You buy it because it is cheap performance, true. A year later you have a couple of grand spare so you make a mod, as ross said it is his hobby he is interested in that sort of thing. Why did you buy your 172 why not just buy a 5k scooby and chip it it would have been cheaper and more powerful?? Bhp figure 0-60 times 0-100 - so what - it is how it drives and how quick it is point to point that counts. You would probably be surprised at what ross' car would keep up with on a track

Some people have more cash to spend then others granted some like jap turbos covered in spoilers some like something a bit more subtle.

Your cost power argument IMO is irrelevent. Sorry.

An £18k Clio with 217bhp would destroy any other hot hatch for similar money off the shelf though wouldnt it, meggerman? If fun and performance are the goal, then an 18 grand rocket powered Clio stacks up ok against a 20 grand lardy Golf GTi, Focus St or Astra VXR - actually it would leave them all for dead and leave a massive grin on your face.

I see what you're saying, but when you look at it like I just have in this post...it actually starts to make a lot of sense in overall fun per pound.

meggerman said:
your right loony i dont "get it" not on a N/A clio supermini, i know people do mad 4x4 conversions etc.. other crazy stuff but i thought the entire point of the 172/182 was to be a cheap to buy, cheap to maintain supermini with good fuel econ and due to low weight makes the cars fast.

how much in total ?? £6,000 at least surley including everything, if you bought the 182 for say 12k and added the 6k then that would be £18,000 car you could have.. a mate of mine spent £18k on his last car a 380bhp evo 7 looked mint and did 0-60 in around 4 secs and 0-100 in 10 secs

thing is why the hell would any self respecting car and driving enthusiast want a shitty after market turbo kit? is it becoz dumpvalvez is wikkid innit?
The point of the Clio was to be cheap no frills fast fun yes, but by what your saying it's as if the only mod you should be doing is a turbo, otherwise dont bother :S
Yeah sure, you could buy an Evo for the price... but then you could buy a Fiesta and put a Cossie lump in for even less... so by that logic all cars are pointless, or your point is fundementally flawed. I'd rather have a Clio pushing over 200bhp per ton than an Evo or Scooby, it's funnier for a start when they cant lose you... or better yet, you go sailing past them.

Great work once again from the lads, will be time to get my wallet out again soon I think, cant have these pansy ass MK2 girls thinking they have the beating of us MK1 mofo's lol

Ph1
I can see both sides of the argument on this. 6k is a hell of a lot of money but at the end of the day thats his choice right or wrong sensible or not. Meggerman also is in titled to his own opinion.

Going back to the car front, the stage 2 manifold. Is that a heavier worked inlet or the re modded plenum chamber ??

PLUS he still has aircon! lol

The stage 2 manifold is a frankenstein unit!
It is cut open and welded up to the hilt to fill the plenham, then i spend far too many of my hours grinding and grinding, shaping and smoothing to make the entries as efficient as they can be within the space available.

Then the FULL runners are reworked, opened up, reshaped, matched and flow substantially more than any std type inlet ever done.

Took a long time and was alot of work, so if anybody wants it being done again, it will require alot of pestering lol.

P1010810.jpg

P1010813.jpg

P1010821.jpg

P1010826.jpg

Half stripped mk2 172
Hi ben, am i confused or not, cos i thought you did offer 2 variants of manifolds, the stage 1 and 2, stage one is 180, and if i am correct stage two is about 400 pounds. Is the stage 2 one, which ross has,is just for throttle bodies or could it go on the standard plenum as well? Cheers, Vince.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Nice pics Ben and excellent work. GDI and Angelworks really are at the forefront of Renault NA tuning imho. Ross's car is simply awesome!! I'd rather have that than some laggy turbo jap crap :p lol

I do only do 2 stages.
However stage 2 i will no longer do for silly money like £400, there is just too much work involved.

Stage 2 when finished looks like a std inlet manifold and will work as one.

Snotter's
This car has probably been done for enjoyment and love of cars,anything you do to a car isnt a good financial decision but neither is smoking,drinking etc.I enjoy my car but my money spent on its a complete waste,everyone has different ideas

Nice car by the way !!!!

Racin Blue 182
I think you're all being too hard on meggerman - he's only exercising his opinion - although it has been a good debate. I think the N/A vs turbo arguement will always rage on. Did anyone see the Top Gear episode when JC drove the Evo 8 FQ400? The lag is SOOOOOOO big that when floored in 5th at 30, a (I think) Skoda 5 dr hatch pulled away for about 30 seconds - it took ages for the Evo to catch up..... lol ( I know the Evo driver wouldn't boot it in 5th but it was still funny!!)

Half stripped mk2 172
This is a very good debate, my opinion is, if i had 6k i would spend it as ross did. I would prefer to leave a n/a car as it is than fitting a turbo, lowering compression, retarding ignition etc....
I really like his car, or should I say his engine! Bet he will give a trashing to a lot of cars on track and leave a lot of 'proper' race car owners gobsmacked. Good luck mate!!
Vince

E91 M Sport
BenR said:
PLUS he still has aircon! lol

...and we can't have that sh1t in a performance car can we! ;) Just remember Ross, its cheaper to rip stuff out than put it in.... and then the perspex windows... yes yes, it would be criminal to stop now!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If I had no mortgage my Cup would be getting similar treatment...I think the spec sounds fantastic.

Jap turbo barges? Give me instant throttle response and a lightweight hatch any day of the week.

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
I have lost count of how many times I have promised my wife not to modify a new car, and 2 years later - well there is always a good reason!! Oddly enough a small amount of sanity arrived when I decided that our MX5 (fun as it has been for doing hillclimbs and sprints rather slowly, although I did beat a VX220 last time out) was not a good investment to modify and so have swapped it for a Trophy. The simple fact is that generally spending money on cars is a bad investment, but it is a more fun affliction than some and normally not bad for your health

miketheman2k said:
...and we can't have that sh1t in a performance car can we! ;) Just remember Ross, its cheaper to rip stuff out than put it in.... and then the perspex windows... yes yes, it would be criminal to stop now!

a running corolla is comming round monday ;)

rmccardal said:
The main change between this figure and the previous one 205 are ...

AngelWorks Technologies Billet cams
AngelWorks Technologies stage 2 manifold work
Omex 600 ECU
Have you gone to a proper cable throttle body now with the new ECU. How come you went to the OMEX though is is this for future modifications the SMT cannot cope with? Isn't the 600 a bit overkill though or was it bought for future plans?

Thats a superb amount of power though any chance of a graph?

Any idea the extra potential the stage 2 manifold is worth? (probably a question for Ben).

Has the red line been pushed up (least the OMEX will alow this now).

Yes its running cable throttle on a MK1 plenham.

standalone ECU is required because the camshafts are too wild for the std ecu and it will not idle on it due to overlap values. The std ecu see's fluctuating map values and continues to close the FBW throttle to increase manifold vacuum for idle parameters....unfortunately it keeps closing it till it stalls.

Omex only do the 600 and 700 series now, the 700 would be overkill.

The stage 2 manifold and the omex are the only difference between what he had before at 208bhp and now. I predict that the manifold will support over 225bhp with a few tweeks as its still a std bottom end.

Redline is 7800rpm.

How much extra work would be needed on an engine beyond this spec to hit 225hp on the normal (abeitly modified) intake? Would you be needing higher compression pistons etc?
Its superb though the basic design can be modified so much, any idea the gains this along would make on a stockish engine with an appropriate remap?
That seems a lot though compaired with Yozza car getting "just" 230hp with throttle bodies.
Whats next though rmccardal if throttle bodies it doesn't look like will give a huge gains? A 2.2 engine?
I take it the AWT cams require an aftermaket ECU though without any option.

hats off Ben, that's truely amazing.

what sort of gains could you make on an F7R head if you did a custom manifold as surely there's more power there on std inlet with the right work?

Edde, very little extra work would be needed. Structurally none, it has enough RPM capability to reach 225bhp. Although a balanced and lightened bottom end with some ARP rod bolts would help for safety sakes. The main restriction at the moment is the exhaust system sitting at apiddly 2.25", i will be putting the prototype of my exhuast together on this car beginning of next year.

Whats next, ask ross! lol....but i'm pushing him towards a fabricated inlet manifold rather than ITB's because, IMO its not worth it and you can do about 95% with a fabricated inlet as you could with bodies but you would be able to run the stock ECU/management system which would be a benefit to most people. However, if you design a plenham type manifold from scratch, properly, you can outflow ITB's as your not limited to a cross sectional reduction design.

As for my cams, the ones in ross's car does require a new ECU.....its a middle spec cam, i do some which are much higher spec'ed. But i also finished a new cam profile about 3 months ago that runs on the std ecu, has a stock idle and provides massive torque, they seem to be the benchmark at the moment. They have also prooved to be 222bhp capable with just some modified bodies on a std engine.

jon, the std inlet manifold cant be improved or worked on IMO, its a waste of time, it flows enough and you could probably get some good power if you could rev the thing high enough.

The F7R head has alot to come from it. I do valve sizes all the way from the std 30.7, 31.6 and the larger OE 33mm conversion. Ontop of that i also have custom 35mm valves for the ultimate big valve heads.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Is the drivetrain still as standard?? If so, didn't think it'd handle 217bhp and 180lb/ft... If not, what's been changed to take the extra load?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Sorry...

Lastly, MORE PICS PLEASE ! ! !

Any PICS of the modded plenum chamber?? So cool..

Very nice, 10/10 to everyone involved,

KR~