ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

b*****d Struts/Springs

Punto/Clio GTT
thought ide attempt to take off some lowering springs from a car im breaking. got all my tools ready, tried to undo the top nut under the bonnet and the entire strut was just spinning around!, tried to hold it still n undo it, tried for a good half hour before i thought f**k it, the struts are no good anyway and got the grinder out lol

DSCF0756.jpg

DSCF0757.jpg

DSCF0758.jpg

DSCF0759.jpg

got the b******s off anyway :D

Chelsea tractor
Re: b*****d Struts/Springs

You do know that you have to put an allen key in the top of the shock right? Then use a 21mm socket and turn the socket with a spanner? ;)

Punto/Clio GTT
how can you turn a socket with a spanner?

i saw the hole for an allen key i thought that was for when the strust off the car

RB 182 Cup
you have to undo/loosen the nut whilst the cars on the ground lol otherwise it will spin like what happend :p

Punto/Clio GTT
ahhh, well we got no wheels for it so would have been impossible anyway unless i jaked up the hub

does the weight of the car tighten the strut up then as it wasnt the spring that was spinning, just the strut

Chelsea tractor

The outside of mine are a spanner shape on the outside? I think most are just cylindrical though :(

CS Dungeon

you have to undo/loosen the nut whilst the cars on the ground lol otherwise it will spin like what happend :p

It will anyway.

You need a 21mm swan neck spanner and a 6mm iirc allen key. Failing that an impact gun will whip it off

DSC00533.jpg

I hope you didnt damage the top part's;)

Punto/Clio GTT

It will anyway.

You need a 21mm swan neck spanner and a 6mm iirc allen key. Failing that an impact gun will whip it off

DSC00533.jpg

I hope you didnt damage the top part's;)

nah i took good care of them, im gonna have to lend one of them funny spanners i think, i aint got a 21mil spanner at all, just sockets :\

CS Dungeon
Want me to send you mine mate? You can send it back with my goodies:)

Alternatively, I bought mine from Mackays for £13

Renault clio MK2 RSI

So where do they sell these mythical 21mm spanners? I spent 3 hrs driving around last saturday, including stopping at 2 halfords, 1 motor factor, screwfix and 1 other place that I forgot the name of. Halfords had all the odd sizes up to 19mm, then the even ones after that, everywhere else topped out at 19mm. Is this just a french thing?

In the end I gave up, went home, and discovered I had a 21mm spark plug socket, which you can use a spanner on. It's quite tall though, so my first allen key just twisted. 2nd one I found was a freebie from ikea, with a round shaft, and that worked a treat!