ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

*Bagged Clio III*

I clearly do know what I'm on about Chip

I know two people, one with a mk5 golf on air and one with a mk4 r32 on coilovers. The r32 could not keep up with the golf around the corners.

That was what I was meaning with the spending 5k on air can make the handling better than 1k worth of coilovers.

Do your research on air before you start slagging it....

(I'm not saying mine handles better than coilovers on its current air setup, I'm just stating what I meant in previous comments)

That proves absolutely nothing.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cars are driven by people. People are different.

Not to mention there are some HORRIFIC coilovers available for peanuts for a golf.

Another example of people fitting utter rubbish to their car for "lowz" that ruins handling.

I would imagine a standard R32 would have shown them both who was boss very convincingly on the corner with all other factors being equal (tyres and driver etc)

And thats before you even start on the really important stuff like if the geometry was correct, a cars suspension effectiveness is NOT a straight sum of its parts

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Cars on air bags do not handle 'terrible', Chip. Granted not as well as an oem set up, but far from terrible. Have you ever driven a car that's on air, Chip? I'm going to assume you have driven and owned several cars on air bags..

I've seen this before a year or two ago, looks awesome. Really fresh.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cars on air bags do not handle 'terrible', Chip. Granted not as well as an oem set up, but far from terrible. Have you ever driven a car that's on air, Chip? I'm going to assume you have driven and owned several cars on air bags..

I've seen this before a year or two ago, looks awesome. Really fresh.

Ive never owned a car on bags, but have had friends who have had them and yes I have driven them (so has anyone who has driven a lot of landrovers etc, lol), they DO handle terribly compared to a decent set of coilovers unlike what the OP is claiming, especially when actually driven buried in the weeds with no suspension travel.

The other massively important factor that most idiots with these sort of cars TOTALLY disregard is the effect of bump steer, if you are raising and lowering your car as you go along, every time you do so you would need to correct your tracking if you wanted it to handle ok on the new setting! Just like if you raise and lower coilovers you need to for that matter.

Last edited:
  renault clio
They are bilstein coilovers in the r32 and it's not that low at all

Im not here to argue just was saying...

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Ive never owned a car on bags, but have had friends who have had them and yes I have driven them (so has anyone who has driven a lot of landrovers etc, lol), they DO handle terribly compared to a decent set of coilovers unlike what the OP is claiming, especially when actually driven buried in the weeds with no suspension travel.

Everyone's opinion is different. I don't think air ride handles terribly.

renault clio

You've clearly never been in a car with a decent air setup and management system then:)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You've clearly never been in a car with a decent air setup and management system then:)

Absolutely correct, I have indeed NEVER been in a car with a decent air setup and management system in terms of things like proper control of toe settings, and that is something we both have very much in common.

Pop along to a trackday sometime and I will take you out in a well setup almost totally standard 172 and you will be totally amazed at how much better round bends it is than your car I would imagine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Everyone's opinion is different. I don't think air ride handles terribly.

It depends where you have it set, like I have already mentioned if your track is correct at one height it wont be at another height.
I think a car with the tracking set wrong handles terribly, its those sort of problems that air cars have, cause everything keeps moving around to different places.

If you fitted airbag, set it at one specific height, left it there, and set your suspension up to suit (damper adjustment, toe, camber etc) then fair enough you could get one to corner reasonably well, but then you have totally removed the point of having it in terms of dropping it right down to the floor and raising it up etc and you would have been better off spending your money on quality conventional suspension instead.

renault clio
Absolutely correct, I have indeed NEVER been in a car with a decent air setup and management system in terms of things like proper control of toe settings, and that is something we both have very much in common.

Pop along to a trackday sometime and I will take you out in a well setup almost totally standard 172 and you will be totally amazed at how much better round bends it is than your car I would imagine.

Not gonna lie I'd absolutely love to take you up on that sounds like a lot of fun:)

Without a doubt it would eat my car my air setup doesn't handle anything special at all!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Who the f**k gives a flying pigs arsehole how a 1.2 Clio handles now its on bags? I love it when brain dead w**kers come up to me and say "Oh Jason, your Bora must handle like s**t with those bags on it" OH TEH NO!!!! MY DIESEL SALOON CAR, WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT HANDLING?

And also, even with the cheapo bags, my car now handles better. Why? Because they use gaz shocks. So It's not all bad! Either way, It's still a great big barge with a huge diesel iron block up front. You want handling? Buy a Lotus Exige.

So f**k you, and f**k your ways. (_)_):::::::::::3~~~~~yourcoilovers~~~~

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Who the f**k gives a flying pigs arsehole how a 1.2 Clio handles now its on bags? I love it when brain dead w**kers come up to me and say "Oh Jason, your Bora must handle like s**t with those bags on it" OH TEH NO!!!! MY DIESEL SALOON CAR, WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT HANDLING?

And also, even with the cheapo bags, my car now handles better. Why? Because they use gaz shocks. So It's not all bad! Either way, It's still a great big barge with a huge diesel iron block up front. You want handling? Buy a Lotus Exige.

Watchout we've got a badass over here!

renault clio

hero!!! Lol :clap:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I just really don't see why there is an argument about Air and Handling. You either buy expensive coilovers to go round corners, or air ride to look low as possible.

It'd be like going to a strip club, and shouting at them all. Because if they went to church they'd be out of place. Well guess what, they don't go to church dressed like strippers. Nobody does. And I don't go to track days with my Bora, and you don't go to cool scene kid shows with your clios. SO SHUTUP b**ch.

DISCUSSION END.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Because the cars owner reckoned good bag suspension can out handle high end coilovers. That's why there is a discussion about it.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Because the cars owner reckoned good bag suspension can out handle high end coilovers. That's why there is a discussion about it.

Bags were developed for racing originally, and if you spend silly money I'm pretty sure they could match coilovers. But not any off the shelf stuff for sure!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bags were developed for racing originally, and if you spend silly money I'm pretty sure they could match coilovers. But not any off the shelf stuff for sure!

As I have already mentioned, if you set them for a specific height, then set all your geometry, its perfectly safe so long as they then stay at that height, the problem is when idiots start winding them up and down while driving along massively with utterly no knowledge of how that effects their steering geometry.

renault clio
Heading to uni and not keen on leaving it up with me and would like a diesel for better economy, plus insurance is coming down which means faster things can be bought...

FF 182
Ive just read through the thread and i personally think its awesome. Fair play for doing what you want and not conforming to the trends! As been said many a time so far, "haters gonna hate". Shame your selling it but i understand the reasons why. Hope you achieve the same level with your diesel.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'll stick to performance and handling type mods I think rather than measing around with pointless visual
changes that get very boring very quickly. At Least you can get on track and enjoy them then