ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

*Bagged Clio III*

renault clio
Hey, Alot of you will recognise this car as its my good friend Paul Hicklins old car:)
Just thought id stick a thread up of where its at now and how its looking.
Wasn't sure what to buy in the summer of 2011 then Paul offered me the clio,so after a summer of 60-80 hour weeks in Michelin I was delivered this in september:)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Once i had got the car there were things to be fixed and changed this included

- New offside front hub
- New wheel bearings all round
- New wheel bearings on the rear...Again (Bearings don't like camber lol)
- Two new front discs, these weren't needed but i got them for next to nothing so decided to stick them on anyway
- New brake pads
- The electric mirrors / Interior lighting / Horn / Sidelights decided to give up one day (Typical french electrics) so i changed all the fuses which didn't fix the problem so it was sent to an Autospark to get it sorted
- Airbag light came on and off as it pleased so got her plugged into a computer and all the faults cleared (there was 13..lol)

Got the car around winter time and knew I wasn't for keeping the Lenso's so put them up on gumtree and had them sold within a day.
The car was then run on the standard wheels for a few months until I gathered up the money for a set of new shoes:)
Wheels spaced with 5mm's at front at 20's at the rear.
Loved how low it sat on these wheels and they didn't look the worst either..

Heres a pic of one of the rear bearings, was in great shape...

Few random pics taken...

You have to love the Northern Irish country roads in the winter.....

I knew I needed new wheels to set the car off and I had my heart set on Schmidt 3 piece modern lines, asked a few of the guys and they all agreed they would be well worth the money so I bit the bullet and got them ordered...

Fronts are 16" 8.5J et 27 with a 2" dish
Rears are 16" 9J et 21 with a 2.5" dish

:)

Told they would take no more than 2 weeks...they arrived 3 weeks later but it was worth the wait when i opened them up..

Testing Fitment

Tyres on the wheels are 195/40 Continentals on the fronts and 194/45 Sunnys (All i could get in short notice) on the rears.
Had problems getting the tyres on, the shape of the wheel meant we couldn't get the tyres to pop, 5 cans of easy start later and even a bit of heat on the tyres they still wouldnt go on.
In the end the valves had to be took out of the wheels and the valve holes were re-drilled ( 20 quid plus VAT a hole for drilling them out by 2 or 3mm... ridiculous! )
tubes were then put in for Ballymena Carfest and they tyres were left for a week to stretch then the tubes were took out and new valves put in:)

Few pics..

Future plans are for a full retrim of the inside with s couple of nicely retrimmed bucket seats:)
Let me know what you think, cheers!

Ged

PD130 Peach
theres low... and super low.. but that looks broken :p Each to their own and that though :)

How far can the suspension be raised up? can you get it to a normal ride height?

Last edited:
  renault clio
Haha! yeah it can be raised up to pretty much normal ride height so theres no problem with speedbumps etc and its asmooth enough ride.
Handling wouldn't be as good as coilovers though

C1 VTR (Company Car)
I'm actually lol'ing looking at that, it's ridiculous...

Don't get me wrong I think it looks cool on the move.. but how can you drive further than 10 feet without running into a bump that's just that little bit to big to drive over.... :p

EDIT: 3rd picture from the bottom, the front is on the floor xD

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
WTF?

I like your ideas but it just isn't practical and in my opinion it looks s**t.

But kudos for going with your own instincts.

renault clio
WTF?

I like your ideas but it just isn't practical and in my opinion it looks s**t.

But kudos for going with your own instincts.

Its more practical than being low on coilovers as i can get over any speedbump etc...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks like you have done a good job of achieving the look you were after. :D

I wont give my opinion of the actual usefulness of what you have "achieved" though as Im sure you are already aware that "haters gonna hate"

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks like you have done a good job of achieving the look you were after. :D

Couldn't have put it any better myself. I really, really don't like the OEM splitters/sideskirts though, would looks far better without imo.

05 clio dynamique
man, the picture rolling down the front with everyone looking at the car. It looks so god damn sexy. 100 points for doing something different than making reps or track cars. Looks sweet, the bbs reps looked awful, your new wheels looks tasty. :)

^^ Ben i think it was the one from the megs top 25 at fcs 2011(if you were in attendance?) it originaly had multicoloured wire wheels i think:eek:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Is this the one that had multi-coloured BBS RS's on at one point?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
man, the picture rolling down the front with everyone looking at the car. It looks so god damn sexy. 100 points for doing something different than making reps or track cars. Looks sweet, the bbs reps looked awful, your new wheels looks tasty. :)

Which picture is that?

From your description it sounds like groups of people stood there admiring it, but the only picture I could see with anyone looking at it was these couple of pensioners who are presumably thinking its broken?

59875332863638721921998.jpg

The show pictures people seem to be just walking by not bothering to look.

Megane r26
Each to there own I suppose, not my cup of tea but well done for achieving what you set out too. The wheels look better then those cheap replica's though. Oh nice dog :)

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Take it it is on air bags?! I like it but it just seems that's all that has been done is slam it and new shoes... Do more to it and take it to shows!!

LY 182
Personally think it looks mint as i love the look of old golfs slammed and stretched tyres.. Never even thought what it would look like on a clio but looks amazing with those new rims! I dont think people understand that you can raise the car at the push of a button haha

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I still don't understand the point of stretched tyres? Why not just get wider tyres and have much more grip?

I'm sorry but it just looks stupid, if it had bigger wheels it may look slightly better but you're not even filling that archgap!

Won't even comment on those "epic" lows.

It's a no from me!

renault clio
Cheers for the comments people!
The car is on Air suspension so I can raise it to whatever height I please and drive away over any bumps..
The wheels are the size they are as I wanted the kit to sit on the ground when I had it fully aired out...
Stretch tyres are purely for looks:)

Phase 2 172 Sport
Looks nice mate for the look you have gone for. Very tidy motor not ruined at all.

Not everybody on here appreciates not every thing has to be for going fast. Stretched tyres help the tyres tuck up in the arches !!

I couldn't live with it personally but totally appreciate the time and effort put into this !!

renault clio
Looks nice mate for the look you have gone for. Very tidy motor not ruined at all.

Not everybody on here appreciates not every thing has to be for going fast. Stretched tyres help the tyres tuck up in the arches !!

I couldn't live with it personally but totally appreciate the time and effort put into this !!

Cheers mate! Im only 20 and cant really get insured for anything thats half quick so im going for looks until then! Once the insurance is down a bit something fast will be bought:)

Rusty Cup
I have to give it credit purely for the amount of work needed to achieve the look. So many people just stick turinis and a nurburg sticker on a car and call it a real head turner. I can't say I'd ever do it myself but fair play none the less. Bet that thing harvests road kill like a beast!!