ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bah - Still cutting out

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That could easily be an ignition problem though, and the fuel is being added in the right quantity but not burned properly.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Hmm, well I'm stumped then.

As I say, the car was running well for 7 months, although still a little lumpy at idle I put that down to the decat. Now it's kicking out the same problems as it did when I changed the lambda sensors. It's only during the warm cycle, too. Car doesn't cut out when it's cold and when it does cut out, it fires up again straight away.

Not sure if it will have any relevance, but the cylinder head is from a 172 racer. KTEC claimed the only differences between this and the 182 cylinder head were the breather system location and bigger exhaust ports. Doubt that has anything to do with it anyway, as like I say the car was fine for all that time prior to selling.

Just odd how it hasn't been right since I got the work done, including the full system exhaust. So that was cylinder head, belts, dephaser, tappets and exhaust system.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Right iv got this car atm..

So far iv swapped the TB over from my car and it was no different.. Come to junctions or whatever an it cuts out..

Swapped my crank sensor and again no different..

Iv noticed it misfires and runs a bit s**t when you rev under 2k rpm.. Once your over 2k rpm it runs fine..

Going to swap some sensors around tomorrow if i get chance but i cant for the life of me decide what it could be..

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Similar symptoms to mine, fault with injector #2 and throttle body I'm told.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Iv swapped TB, injectors, all sensors i can see plugs, leads, coil pack, plugs all from my own car..

I think it needs a trip to Danny or Fred to make sure the Timing is 100% correct..

Iv had to refit the decat as the way its running is ruining the the Cat

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
and the fuel is being added in the right quantity but not burned properly.

Ya nearly there chip. You must know in the back of your mind whats wrong with this car. Nobody's mentioned to have checked in the whole post either.

Low & behold....... upon me posting Tunst... has mentioned it :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Ya nearly there chip. You must know in the back of your mind whats wrong with this car. Nobody's mentioned to have checked in the whole post either.

Low & behold....... upon me posting Tunst... has mentioned it :)

wish someone would tell me because im fresh out of ideas and iv ran out of things to swap other than the engine :rasp:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
No he sold it to one of his mates, I just offered to take a look at it and see if I could sort it out for him, but its not looking good, next step is checking the timing... But i dont have the tools for it so iv said to take it to Fred or Danny to make sure the timing is 100% correct

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It's going in to the local indie later this week to have the timing checked. Would the timing cut the car out though when the clutch is dipped during travel? It starts up again and idles ok - well, it doesn't, it sounds awful, but I just didn't know if the timing being out would cause the car to be such a problem like it is. When the timing was done and I changed the lambda's to rectify the fault last time, the car ran for 8 months with no issues at all.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Did you do a compression test Mark?

We had the exact same thing on an Alfa this weekend and it was the MAF sensor. If unplugging it solves the problem, bob's your mothers brother.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
No i didnt, never had time.. Dont think its compression tbh, it drives fine and seems to pull well.. Unplugging the MAF cuts the car out.. Pulling it from the inlet revs it to circa 3k rpm, and it runs like a dog

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Are the MAF and MAP sensors the same?

This is the one that was replaced a few weeks ago:
m1OfnGtjSqZ_CO-IyK-OnUQ.jpg

Anyway, will pick this up this evening if that's ok mate? Will send you a text. Cheers again for having a good go! F*cking car.

Cup In bits
MAF is a mass air flow flow sensor for air being drawn into engine, the ecu uses this to inject the right amount of fuel.

MAP is manifold absolute pressure which tells the engine a given load by pressures inside the inlet, same again adjusts fuelling via ecu.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Yeah no problem mate i should be about..

Tell him to get rid.. Il buy the coilovers and exhaust :rasp:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Quick update on this. My mate took it to the local mechanical and he's had it a while now (although hasn't had much time to look it at). He put it on the diagnostics over the weekend and noticed low voltage getting to the oxygen sensors. He couldn't find any leak though.

I did think it was odd how he's getting the exact same symptoms as I did. I swapped the lambda's and it was sorted, but this seems a little more complex. Perhaps a hard to find oxygen leak or a wiring fault to the lambda(s)?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Just a quick update on this: Fixed.

Air leak from engine sorted, new lambda (another one) and booster to the map.

All done.