ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Balancing Pro race 1 alloys, tyre choice & lowering

Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
Hello everyone, bit of advice needed please.

I have bought a cheap set of Pro Race 1 alloys, I was told one might be buckled. It is, the variance on a wheel balancing machine at a local garage looks about an inch or more up and down as it spins.. I thought that was it but a technician told me he see's that often & it can be balanced out with weights. These are my first set of non standard wheels and I do not know whether to use them or get rid of them, or source a single wheel on Ebay to replace it.

I've tried them on my car and they look fantastic. (Gloss black Pro Race 1s on my dark red 1.2 mk2 clio). I am using spigot rings because of the bore size differences. The tyres that came with them were half bald, and I am looking to buy four new tyres. I don't want budget tyres, but I am on a budget of around £160 (That does make some sense). I've found sources for tyres between £35-£40 for the below tyres, cheapest first:

• Marshall
  • Matador - Apparently made by Continental
  • Bridgestone
  • Yokohoma Parada

I am wondering what you would go for, i've not heard of Matadors but I was assured they are fantastic tyres (greedy Tyre Pros Salesman wanting a quick sale?). I want to get 195/50/15 to keep my speedo reading correctly. I usually put the cheapest of cheap unknown branded tyres on my standard Clio dynamique wheels, but want something a little grippier, but long lasting too. Any experience with any of these tyres please share.

Lastly, Lowering. It became apparent 0.002s after fitting the Pro Races that I need to lower my car. A lot of answers from searching these forums say that I would need coilovers, end of. In my opinion, it's too much money to spend on my car to get coilovers, but again I am new to actually modifying my own car compared to being around modified cars for a few years. I want it just above the tyres.

I'm torn where to buy them from. There are hundreds of sets from various manufacturers on EbaY from around £55 to £100 that seem legit, there's too many different ones to list.. K Tec seem to have some decent sets of springs, these own branded ones look alright, how low are they going to get me realisticly if I choose the 60mm option? The other option are these Eibach ones, 45mm seems more sensible with the amount of speed bumps where I live.

My main question about lowering is what else am I going to need to buy to strengthen the other important parts of the suspension? Shocks/Struts, renewed nuts, bolts, anything?

Many thanks for the help in advance.

James.

Mk2 Clio 1.2 16v
Well my wheels are on and are brilliant (touch wood) all balanced and can't feel any vibrations at all. I'm leaving tyres for the moment as my old ones from the standard alloys are fine. Suspension, i'm going for ebay, don't want to spend a lot. Don't want to go lower than 50mm, so found these two and wondering which would be best.. Cheap and cheerfull never-heard-of or Apex which is a little more but they're a bigger brand and seem more reliable (5 yr warranty etc)

Apex 40mm

U
ltimate styling 50mm

Fingers crossed someone will respond this time.