ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Banderson's BG 182 (something different)

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
well alot of you have seen pictures of my car and also may have seen it at FCS 11,

and although it is nearly 'where i want it to be' i thought it was about time to start a project thread as theres always room for more mods haha

i previously had a valver but it was old, i got fed up of polishing AROUND the rust :( and it was nearly due MOT and was going to fail big time! so 182 it was :cool:

my old valver:
23341_10150216540660006_599780005_12636615_3566957_n.jpg

i kept all the wheels and front spaces from the valver ready for my next project :p

when i bought it from Dean. back in february this year the mileage was on 54307 miles (Now on 57755) and it was in a very good condition already! when i went to view it we had driven straight past his house as it was on a corner :eek: but after a phonecall and a U-turn i could see it sat there gleaming in the sun and it was at that point that i knew it had to be mine :rasp:

the paintwork was very clean, a few swirls (my pet hate) but nothing over the top and as im fairly anal when it comes to my car this wasnt a problem, as ive been known to polish/detail my car for many hours! lol, the interior didnt need no work from what i could see as it was fairly immaculate too :rasp:

In the past year the car had everything it had needed, this includes:
Cambelt and Aux belt.
New Front and rear Pads AND discs.
Brake Fluid
spark plugs
Ignition Leads
Washer jets (which are prone to leaking)
Tyres
Coolant change

Standard renault sport spec including:
Both Cup Packs
Xenon headlights
Auto lights and wipers (very handy!)
Half leather and suede interior
Cruise Control
Climate Control

the extras it had were:
Silver visions all round
3/4 plate on the front
Milltek cat back with enlarged CAT outlet
Eibach prolines
JMS remap
poly bushed 'dogbone' mount

i was very pleased with the Spec and the history of the vehicle :approve: so after a good roadtest and good check over (not that it was really needed as everything was tip top and been to the likes of 519automotive, JMS and wests reanult), i handed dean the £4300 and set out on my trip home :)

the drive home was faultless, it was such a smooth drive! seemed very powerful and even though i didnt want to push my luck yet, it seemed to just grip and grip around roundabouts! and still managed 39mpg :O which was alot better than my valver lol

the car just after i had bought it:
27022011091.jpg

27022011098.jpg

a week later although i loved the OEM radio and that i decided that i would JUST TRY my old headunit out as it had FULL ipod controls built in, and only a matter of swapping it back if i didnt like it...or so i thought :dapprove:
when i came to remove the original head unit all the clips were mangled and it was all held in with silicone :S so once i had started, it needed to be removed. the clips were beyond repair so i had no choice but to fit my old alpine headunit. :(
luckily it all lit up red so wasnt far off of the OEM orange bulbs throughout the rest of the interior :)

981710c7.jpg

after fitting the alpine headunit, the sound quality was not as good as the original and i thought it was lacking from the rear especially...so i got in there, pulled the rear speaker grilles off and 'OH' no speakers lol but the wires had been joined from either side and a cable going into the boot that wasnt connected! luckily i had some speakers in the garage and they fitted straight in after re wiring the loom! much better having surround from all around :p

after a few more weeks i decided that my 182 was looking a little 'LOST' in all the other BG 182's on Cliosport as all BG's seem to have the anthracite wheels and cup packs (not saying theres anything wrong with that :rasp: just i like to be different :D)

so next on the agenda was colour choice...
i decided that as my old ROTA RB's were red and the colour combination worked well on the valver, i'd go down this route :)

my old wheels were ROTA RB in red, 15x7 and ET30

i trial fitted the ROTA's on but due to them being offset 30, they foul the calipers so it definately going to need spacers, so itll have to wait until two new spacers have been ordered to be sitting pretty but you get the idea from these pictures :rasp:

c16ff23a.jpg

1556a506.jpg

in my opinion the standard 182 alloys sat too far inside the arches so heres the comparison between standard 182 wheels and my ROTA's (obviously rota's have spacers too)

Fronts:
75e71ed9.jpg

07ff72d2.jpg

Rear:
67f5f8b2.jpg

9b688a02.jpg

7df998b9.jpg

unfortunately i needed 2 new spacers, 2 new tyres and some majors lows to pull these wheels off! so they had to put them on hold for now :(

whilst it was back to standard i thought i would start aquiring a few bits of red detailing to tie everything in for when the wheels go on.

first up was the spoiler stripe - i can almost guarantee i was the first with this, although a few others have followed suit! (YOU SHEEP BAHHH!!! :rasp: lol)

next was the red 'cliosport.net' stickers and the elf stickers

then the pedo bear and the 'stealth' down and out sticker (i may get critisized for these :p)

43cc3052.jpg

bba9df56.jpg

a8448e99.jpg

2f6a06ab.jpg

5ba51250.jpg

more to come...just need a break :p

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Car looks really good, what did you use for the red stripe on the spoiler, oh and whats with a pedo bear sticker bit odd ????

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
so after searching here there and everywhere and getting info on all different sets of coilovers...i realised that cup packs were a B*****D to buy for and money would not allow for me to buy some 'decent' coilovers!
so in the end, i settle for some Vmaxx and ordered up a set of these and a set of extra spacers!

Vmaxx coilovers 60mm bolt spacing
and 15mm hubcentric delta mic spacers

when the coilovers turned up i got stuck into fitting them at work during my lunch hour :rasp: they were fairly straight forward to do on a clio so when i got home from work...

8d57f22a.jpg

88c0fe76.jpg

i thought it was sitting very well considering i had not set any of them up properly...literally just would them to the same level and fitted them haha

a few days later the spacers turned up, but many people were saying that the bolts were breaking on these particular ones and when fitting i found out why!
it was as though they were not bored out far enough

when fitting the spacer i found it wasnt sitting flush with the disc face!! therefore when the bolts are tightened, it is slightly stressing the spacer inwards and when driven this gap is allowing the bolts to work loose and eventually snap with the stresses being put on them.

what the problem is, is that the center bore isnt bored deep enough into the spacer therefore making it push against the spigot instead of the disc face!

what i done was grinded a small amount of of the spigot face (hub center) back allowing these to push in closer to the disc!

did this on my valver and had no problem...

pics
19422f56.jpg

note that there is a small gap between spacer and disc

better pic showing this (air gap-can see the floor between the two)
59f3bb26b.jpg

spigot and spacer touching
c617568eb.jpg

heres what i grinded
5b1f44fc.jpg

and now how the spacer sits
978e3e3a.jpg

and the spigot and spacer
08af0191.jpg

after doing this and i was 100% on them sitting flush to the disc hub i set about fitting them and FINALLY able to get my wheels on yay! :clap:

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
150cc3ea.jpg

needless to say...i was VERY VERY happy with the outcome of this! it was sitting absolutely perfect!

then i realised that the O/S/R tyre kept rubbing the arch when cornering and/or accelerating which was doing my head in! (i know the wheels are wide but they were staying) i done a little investigating and found that the o/s/r was sitting lower than the other side despite being exactly the same level on the rear adjusters :S

e38f27da.jpg

e786c781.jpg

a few emails to FRED and him explaining that i need to set the o/s/f approx 7mm higher due to engine weights ect. i had it sitting a little better but i still had to have the adjusters wound unevenly

e1233407.jpg

289adaa5.jpg

eventually got to the bottom of it...the spring had turned when i put it in and for some reason this was affecting the height issue! once sorted...i adjusted them as low as possible (with adjusters still in) and it was sitting perfect :D

the thing with the Vmaxx coilovers is that the fronts seems alot stiffer than the rears as when you accelerate (even really gently) they make the rear 'squat' down and thus, causing the rubbing where my wheels are so wide ;)

so...i must invest in some new coilovers in the near future! lol

everything was coming together really well...until you opened the engine bay! it just seemed really 'drab', silver cover, oxidised aluminium inlet + fuel rail guard and just general dirt!

so next on my list was the inlet, rail guard and engine cover.
i bought mini chilli red paint - for the cover
and satin black paint for the inlets.

i took the inlet off for this as it was much easier to get into all the nooks and crannys and less risk of overspray.
i then cleaned it down using auto glym engine degreaser, dried off then 'keyed' it using 800 grit wet and dry paper, then cleaned again before setting about it with paint. i primered it using ordinary primer and then just satin blacked it with ordinary primer (it doesnt get that hot up top)
once dry i polished off the 'RENAULT SPORT' logo and refitted with NEW gaskets as there wasnt any previously :S

same deal on the fuel rail guard! then i took the engine cover and give it the same preparation techniques. then sprayed it all in 'mini chilli red' :D
i was pleased with the outcome although it needed the '2.0 16v' sticker for the oil cap cover :)

so ordered one up! :)

b0b0cecf.jpg

also fitted a new Motorcraft Ford battery with a red label...just to be anal :p and polished the air con pipes to a high shine ;) although the pic dont really show this lol

Last edited:

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
664f751c.jpg

it stayed this way for a while,

i then thought that the fog light covers could do with a lick of paint as well as the top grille and rear bumper insert as they had been sprayed poorly by someone previously and started to 'chip'

so i went and bought some more satin paint...removed the fog trims and rear bumper insert sanded them down, cleaned, primed, rubbed down again, cleaned, primed (repeated this until it was all level and no chips showing through) then painted!

its amazing how much difference something like this makes!

unfortunately the top grille is going to take a little longer to do so this is still on the waiting list...considering buying a new grille as a better 'base'
but i did introduce ANOTHER new craze to hit Cliosport! THE FRENCH FLAGGED GRILLE lol its only elctrical tape for now but it will be painted on when the grille gets painted :D

i also bought some new OEM grille stickers to tidy the bay up.

grille stickers and french flag:

682be8eb.jpg

next up was the fogs, i decided that i loved my old valvers yellow fogs so i was straight onto ebay and picked myself up a sheet of lamin-x for £12. this was very simple to do, i literally just popped the fog trims off. cut the lamin-x to the correct size (but square) cleaned the lenses, centralised and smoothed the film on. at this point i thought 'crap how am i going to bend it round the edge' but i got the heat gun out and it just kinda formed arounf the fog with a little help :D
was very impressed with the ease of installation!

so, from this:
c6f47c88.jpg

to this:
43abb32a.jpg

8173ec3c.jpg

i also bought some 3000k Xenon bulbswhick i think look really good, and should (i say that very loosely) be legal! according to the VOSA handbook!
lol just depends on the copper if i do get pulled...

that was that for then. i am pretty pleased with the exterior looks of my 182 now so i dont really think much else will change...so i moved onto other stuff!

i bought a piperX panel filter and replaced the original filter, which i must say...i didnt really notice the difference. just a placebo effect that you now have a 'better' filter lol

then it was onto bigger stuff and i recently thought about how much the CAT could be restricting the exhaust system (althogh its got a modified CAT outlet to help) and i wanted to hear a few pops from time to time
:eek: so i bought a Milltek decat pipe to complete the system :D and only cost £46 off of ebay brand new.

it turn up very quickly but i was waiting for the gasket set from renault for a few days :( so when it finnaly all turned up i fitted it at work! its definately changed how it sounds but im not too keen on the RASP :/

it also may have a small blow but we will see.

th_7e169887.jpg

ideally i would like to go down the Throttle body route or SC route but i will just enjoy it for now :)

a1a4b059.jpg

73f50096.jpg

159222c4.jpg

5dc66cd8.jpg

ffeaa3db.jpg

434dc054.jpg

thats it for now until i have some more updates. thanks for reading, i know its dragged on and noit very good but hey...i done it in one night :p

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Good project thread mate, great how its different! Were did you get the oem grill stickers from??

BG 182
This is stunning mate, really gets me motivated on my BG. an absolute **** to keep clean though.

Can I have first dibs on the v-maxxs too please :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
first up was the spoiler stripe - i can almost guarantee i was the first with this, although a few others have followed suit! (YOU SHEEP BAHHH!!! :rasp: lol)

A cool little mod too tbh. Yes im a sheep and yes i saw it here first! :eek:

Such a cool looking car and definitely one of the best BG's on here! :)

Clio Dynamique Noir
Niiiice car matey!! Definately inspired me to get back into my Clio, even though I only have a 1.2 :( for now anyway! Loving the pedo bear sticker!! Ha! Bit of a perfectionist myself when it comes to cleaning my car, what products/process so you use looks very shiny! :eek: Also liking the French flag on the Grille, very original!

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
thanks for all the comments people :) wasnt expecting the nice comments to be honest lol its by far not the best BG on here but i do like to keep it tidy :D

nice car :) i miss it sometimes :(

next time you buy a car remember to sign the v5 ;)

would you like to buy it back? .....joking :rasp: and i will try to remember to sign it, altho it will not be for a while i hope :D

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Good project thread mate, great how its different! Were did you get the oem grill stickers from??

thanks mate :)
ive just to let everyone know, i got the OEM grille stickers from renault themselves. cost me arounf £6 but that was on trade :)

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
right, todays little update :)

i decided that the standed gear stick gaitor looked a little 'cheap' and drab :dead:

247dcd65.jpg

so i decided that i would buy a new leather gaitor from eBay :D
i went for the black leather with red stiching to keep in with the colour scheme of things :)

3c2a7355.jpg

in all honesty...it was a royal pain in the asre to fit as when it turned up, it was approx and 1 1/2 inchs taller and alot wider than the original.

771c618d.jpg

but i persevered and got on with it, picking all the old staples out of the original plastic ring and making a few cuts here and there :p then it came to stapling (if your gonna do this...get a decent staple gun! its tough!!) where i nearly stapled my fingers many times as its a little difficult to hold lol
but i got it finished and fitted!

and this was the outcome :) :

6f35a21b.jpg

its still growing on me but i do like it better than the original thats for sure! and the leather still needs to settle in as its still trying to 'rest' properly lol

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
rite a few little updates to add to the 'A team' clio lol

to cut a long story short...i beeched the 182 on a sand track, to give you an idea of how stuck. the wheels were not touching the floor anymore and i had sand covering my plate :( WHOOPS

this resulted in a highly embarrasing rescue from a ford fusion at around 3am :eek: and all was well until i had to reverse quickly to avoid getting stuck again. my splitter acted as is shovel and SNAP!!

5c0333b0.jpg

this did annoy me but it was better than being raped out in the woods! lol
so next on the list was to atleast 'try' and make something that looks 'okay' out of what was left so out came the air cut off tool and the files till i was left with 2 corner splitters. these look 'OKAY' :dead: but still not great so this will have to do until a genuine cup splitter is sourced and fitted!

16796821.jpg

569265e9.jpg

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
a couple of weekends ago i was fed up of the previously painted grille and the splitters flaking due to stone chips, so i took the grille out ready for painting as well as took the splitters off and badge surround.

42ebc857.jpg

this had to be done quickly as i hated driving around in a car that looks broken lol

and although it is hidden, it is still kind of in view so whilst the grille was out i decided that the A/C condensor (aircon radiator to those not in the know) was looking rather cack so i decided i would give this a quick lick of paint (as well as the alternator)

33e4fe5d.jpg

to this:

114709f6.jpg

(also notice..being sad i also polished the A/C pipe running along the top :rasp: )

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
finished my grille (for now)

7bb593fc.jpg

and finally got the grill and badges all back in and decided on something a little different whilst i await parts (paint) to do the french flag again

a6b6c53b.jpg

49f60af3.jpg

also fitted my spare badge that i sprayed ages ago (grey with a glitter laquer lol) i fit it when im in the mood and remove it again when i feel in a chrome mood lol

c43c90a2.jpg

353f589a.jpg

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
(heres one for Dr Jekyll ;) )

i also got bored of the engine bay and decided the yellow 'warning' symbols were not in keeping with the black and red colour theme, so out came the red tyre pen i bought and started painting lol

c2059479.jpg

16a9c5db.jpg

the most difficult was the PAS cap as there isnt a raised edge to do...so it was just a steady hand for that one but heres the out come :)

e7b796c6.jpg

also sprayed myself a 'negative' battery terminal cover in satin black and painted the terminal itself red to show through the " - " symbol window lol (its okay i wont get it mixed up with the possitive) but i didnt quite get this in the pic lol

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Fantastic little touches!

Quick question... How did you go about painting the alternator without getting paint inside?

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
i didnt :rasp: haha it wasnt a proper spray job...just literally gave it about 2 squirts just to brighten it up (not visible with grille in) should be fine!

Last edited:

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Small updates:
Few months ago i Decided I'd get a new 'clio' badge to replace the tarnished one...not a big change but makes all the difference to a clean shiny car ;)

c712687a.jpg

And a few reflections ;)

43c35c0f.jpg

946df519.jpg

762e5b07.jpg

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
There hasn't been to much going on within the last few months really regarding the 182. Just been enjoying it really.

Although there has been a few changes...
decided to lower the front a little more to 'level' up the arch gaps between front and rear,
luckily the coilovers were still in good shape and just undone (but I still decided to give them a little maintenance whilst under there ;) )

Although I have this much to play with on the front:

e1bc5dde.jpg

I decided I'd go for a suitable 7mm drop :p but I'm unsure wether I have to much 'rake'! It'll do for now though haha

32c1842f.jpg

166402d9.jpg

Next was just the usual, enjoy, clean, enjoy clean and so on...but I'd just like to demonstrate the importance of tyre shine when keeping an immaculate car!
Its amazing how it actually makes the paintwork look so much deeper even though it's not part of the paintwork :p

a95daede.jpg

c55d8542.jpg

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
I then started to get a little bored of the Clio (not in general, just the fact I wasn't changing much) Always love it when it's clean but hate it when it's dirty! Lol

so even though there are conflicting opinions about them, I decided I would get an induction kit! I Was looking around for a few weeks, had my heart set on a BMC filter but when watching them on eBay, the prices always shot up to more than I was willing to pay at the last minute!! :(
then a simota aeroform came up... Heard these sound fapping awesome so I immediately started to watch it and with 5 odd days left still sat at starting price...then looked at lunch that day and it had sold :( owner had received an email from someone and decided to put a 'buy it now' on it :mad: lol anyways fired off an email to ask about it but not a lot I could do...
then I got an email back the next day saying the customer had messed him about and it's back up for sale with the same 'buy it now' price :D !! In the end paid £70 for it which I though was reasonable!

ac6ac2e9.jpg

Got it fitted the night it arrived (no pics unfortunately) and all I can say is WOW, WHAT A NOISE!! :evil: haha!!

enjoyed this for a few days....until for the first time in ownership, the Clio broke down! :( fault occurred the night before but cleared itself, then on the way to watch 'the avengers' it decided to go into limp home mode and lost all power! Whilst sat the idling I had no throttle control or anything :( so in true Clio ownership style (and to avoid embarrassment) I limped it home :p and left it where it was at least till I'd seen my film! On the subject Avengers was awesome :D !!

So next day i Stole the laptop from work the next day and code read it, came up with throttle codes...tried clearing them but still wouldn't have none of it! So set about stripping the air filter off again to find that the throttle body was seized solid! :( took it off and managed to free the butterfly off with some slight hammer and punch persuasion ;) lol refitted it and it now it runs, but still have no throttle. Throttle body was making a buzzing sound and when touching the electrical unit on it, the buzzing note changed and made horrible noises! When switching the ignition off it clunked around like a gooden :( lol

So ordered a new low mileage throttle body unit from chris205 on here (thanks), and whilst I await the part and my car is immobilised I decided it'd be a good chance to replace the spark plugs :) so ordered the recommended NGK PFR6E-10 straight away!

So whilst i wait for all my parts i started to strip the inlet top off to get at them, only to find an oil weep around the top of plug hole number 4 next to my Vvt solenoid! :( sh*t!!! under further inspection I found that someone had used silicone sealer around the Vvt solenoid top and shoulder previously to stop the leak. But obviously this didn't fix it! :mad:
So cleaned it all down, posted up on here and see what sealing it should have, turns out it only needed the one oil seal!

7e76f498.jpg

So phoned Renault and got this seal in question for around £7 :D but it was going to take a few extra days :( Booo!!!!

So then I decided to start cleaning up the engine bay...started with the maybe ore plug leads as they were looking really grotty! Lol only to then find that the coilpack needed replacing due to one of the plug lead terminals corroding...so to not cause further damage I ordered a new (second hand 30k) one! Lol

I was happy nothing else needed doing so set about the bay once again! Cleaned and sprayed up the cam cover in silver to make it look fresh again :)

f315f54b.jpg

Next was the inlet itself...sprayed this ages ago in satin black but fancied some more shiny shiny :D so sanded that and the fuel rail guard down and bought some gloss black paint!
First attemp, must have been silicone in the air as it reacted with the paint! So sanded down and tried again, to my annoyance...same again! So third very infuriating attempt later, It can out spot on :)

9e2dfa07.jpg

af82b123.jpg

2f690eb1.jpg

Ive still got to sand back the 'Renaultsport' on the top half but I'm happy with the outcome :) can't wait to get it all back together!!

My spark plugs and turned up :D so went out to fit them...!! Only to find my F**CKING bonnet cable had snapped!!! ARGHHJHH!!!!
so next step was to gain access! Easier said than done :( couldn't get to it through the grille! And with the car being so low I could jack it up :mad: Was starting to lose my temper with the car lol!
Managed to get it jacked up and got the undertray off, could see the cable but there wasnt any room available to get access up to it! :( in the end I Forced my arm up inside the bay between gearbox and subframe and managed to release the bonnet :)

Then hit a major problem...GOT MY ARM STUCK! Lol was stuck there for about 20mins! Couldn't get my other arm across to help due to limited access. Even my dad couldn't help from above in the bay! In the end decided to risk my arm and pull as hard as possible and HEY PRESTO :D there she be buh!

Panic over, fitted plugs and replaced small o-ring on MAP sensor as mine was buggered! :)

Looked on here for a price for the bonnet release cable but no luck but found genuine ones on ebay for £32, nearly bought one but needed it ASAP so renault it was...thought this was going to be doubled from them but to my surprise they were half that! rand rand new genuine bonnet cable for £17!!! Yay!

But yet again waiting for parts still!

Finally Picked up my oil seal and bonnet cable today and got the seal fitted :) old one was worn badly and slimmer, so this should fix the leak!
also fitted the bonnet cable...which was average to fit! Wasn't hard but neither nice :p haha

I was now happy with everything so far so put my inlet and fuel rail guard etc back in for a 'mock up' :)

b512fa27.jpg

6a1c3ead.jpg

Despite me still needing to sand down the 'Renaultsport' I was over the moon with the results :D

Last bit for this post :) I decided to add to my red engine details and paint the fuse box cover 'lightning' logo :D (still need to shine the plastic up though)

43d7bc12.jpg

Thanks to reading :)

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Thanks for the comments :)

Its getting there slowly...want to do all the interior. Dash strips, a-pillars, roof lining, wheel retrim with red stiching etc next :) but got to fund holiday :(

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Some more updates :)

This is why I was replacing the coil pack :)

d9577bf1.jpg

22fa3e24.jpg

Then whilst it's in bits I started looking for other bits to tidy up...so set about some engine bay brackets :)

15cd45e2.jpg

d8572b6e.jpg

Not very many pics I'm afraid :(

Polished up my simota too ready to be refitted ;)

c80944c7.jpg

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Throttle body finally turned up,

4261249d.jpg

So after a quick trial fit to make sure all was okay, I set about painting it up :)

b866ea5f.jpg

20afc5e9.jpg

All done :)

f9e840d6.jpg

Getting there :)

2e6b6848.jpg

And all done, bar the oil cap cover as this mysteriously went missing one day :(

9e9d83f6.jpg

ef3341ab.jpg