ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

Cooksport Fleet
I may build a couple and rent them out... just to get people involved to start with... then if they like it, they can buy it!

Lotus Elise
I may build a couple and rent them out... just to get people involved to start with... then if they like it, they can buy it!

Handy for people looking to upgrade licenses as well. I rent an MR2 for two races, cheapest signatures I got.

Clio.
At least we are on page 36!!

I will try and answer some questions a little later, but fk me there are some dumb ass suggestions in here.

If I had the space, I would build the cars myself and just turn up with them at a meeting and draw numbers to allocate cars.

​That would be fun.

hehe! Arrive and drive? I'd like that, but only if the hospitality was better than some sweaty cheese sandwiches.

182cup & 172 racecar
How will the engine power be restricted ?
Will there be a minimium weight ?
Will there be a restriction on how many tyres for the season ?
Can you buff tyres ?
What restrictions on the gearbox and gear shift ?
If minimium weight can shell be dipped and ballast to weight ?
If standard suspension will there be a restriction on the quantity you can purchase ?
What wheel restrictions will there be ?

Steve

Firstly, I would like to welcome you Steve and your interest into the proposed series, the more the merrier.

1 Engine power.

standard engine, not one from another car in the range, standard cams and pistons (there are ways of checking), standard inlet manifold, air filter free.

2 Minimum weight.

No, not at the moment. Cars can be weighed at any time, no reason needs to be given.

3 Tyres.

Difficult to tell people that you can only use 6 tyres a year, so no, no rstriction
There may also be a control tyre in the wings (under discussion atm)

4 Buffing

By this, I take it you mean shaving and not out with a tin of boot polish to make them shiny.
If you feel the need to do this then crack on, but with the tyre I'm thinking off it will be a waste of time and money.

5 Gearbox

This will be a standard box ph1 or ph2 I don't really care. but remember the car needs a working dash.
Standard internals and gear ratios.

6 Gear shift

There can be an upgraded gear stick/shift as in quick shift or stiff shift, but remember these boxes are made of chocolate.

7 Shell dipping

Can't really say no, but why, this is bottom end Msport and this is not really in the spirit of what we are about.

8 Suspension

Again, how can I stop you by buying a new set every race, I can't. And yes it will standard suspension without a doubt.

9 Wheel restrictions

15" wheels are your friend, and round would be better. Remember the tyres will be 195-50-15

I hope this has answered some of your questions. If I can be of any further assistance then please don't hesitate to contact me.

Remember, we will have the power to inspect any car at any time, with no warning or need.

Anybody caught acting outside the rules and regs, will be reported to the MSA, which then will usually have a fine and points awarded, and will no longer be able to compete in any more rounds.

I will also have the option to refuse any entry without reason.

​Tony

330i. E30 Touring.
Failsport Rent-A-Racer.

I like where this is going.

Plus, I can guarantee that the cars I build will go faster as the race goes on. Mainly as things will start falling off, ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just an idea Tony, but with this largely (probably) being filled by CS members, it may be an event the club itself could be interested in sponsoring?

182cup & 172 racecar
Just an idea Tony, but with this largely (probably) being filled by CS members, it may be an event the club itself could be interested in sponsoring?

Yeah right, wouldn't sponsor me, and I had a big fk off CS sticker on the side of car.

When this gets finalised, it will be going out into the big bad world, that is not CS, then what?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah right, wouldn't sponsor me, and I had a big fk off CS sticker on the side of car.

When this gets finalised, it will be going out into the big bad world, that is not CS, then what?

You sarky old git. I just thought for a race series, largely (at least initally) made up of members (if this thread is anything to go by) then it might be a nice touch.

182cup & 172 racecar
Not to be a pain, but when do you think we will see a set of regs?

Ill be seeking sponsorship so I would like to go with a spec and costs to get a car ready.

​From what I've put down already, this would give you a very clear indication of the spec the car needs to be. Fkn hell!! I've got a life to live and other stuff going on.

WRX
​From what I've put down already, this would give you a very clear indication of the spec the car needs to be. Fkn hell!! I've got a life to live and other stuff going on.

The rough is a bit overgrown on the 8th. Neglected the last few days apparently.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Wow this all escalated quickly!

I'm on the look out for the roughest cup I can find as it will only get worse with me driving!

So anyone see's one do the nice thing ;)

I have already started selling bits off my MX5 track car to fund the build :eek:

Clio 182 Race Car
It's a bit like farting really loudly in public. Someone our age wouldn't do it but older people don't give a fcuk what consequences their actions will have. I think that makes them drive faster.
I have more awareness of my actions nowadays - and trust me my son can fart louder (and drive faster) than me!

Clio 182 Race Car
Firstly, I would like to welcome you Steve and your interest into the proposed series, the more the merrier.

1 Engine power.

standard engine, not one from another car in the range, standard cams and pistons (there are ways of checking), standard inlet manifold, air filter free.

2 Minimum weight.

No, not at the moment. Cars can be weighed at any time, no reason needs to be given.

3 Tyres.

Difficult to tell people that you can only use 6 tyres a year, so no, no rstriction
There may also be a control tyre in the wings (under discussion atm)

4 Buffing

By this, I take it you mean shaving and not out with a tin of boot polish to make them shiny.
If you feel the need to do this then crack on, but with the tyre I'm thinking off it will be a waste of time and money.

5 Gearbox

This will be a standard box ph1 or ph2 I don't really care. but remember the car needs a working dash.
Standard internals and gear ratios.

6 Gear shift

There can be an upgraded gear stick/shift as in quick shift or stiff shift, but remember these boxes are made of chocolate.

7 Shell dipping

Can't really say no, but why, this is bottom end Msport and this is not really in the spirit of what we are about.

8 Suspension

Again, how can I stop you by buying a new set every race, I can't. And yes it will standard suspension without a doubt.

9 Wheel restrictions

15" wheels are your friend, and round would be better. Remember the tyres will be 195-50-15

I hope this has answered some of your questions. If I can be of any further assistance then please don't hesitate to contact me.

Remember, we will have the power to inspect any car at any time, with no warning or need.

Anybody caught acting outside the rules and regs, will be reported to the MSA, which then will usually have a fine and points awarded, and will no longer be able to compete in any more rounds.

I will also have the option to refuse any entry without reason.

​Tony
Hi Tony,

On a serious note I would be happy to help you with this, it is a great idea to introduce people who would not normally know how to start racing on to the grid. I'll give you a ring to discuss.

Clio 172
Well that escalated quickly. Are there alot of really simple people on cs or is reading no longer a pre requisite for an internet forum? Tony mentioned the spec earlier In the thread whats all the chat asking a million stupid questions. Those that keep talking about cheating the whole concept is cheap racing, if you feel the need to cheat probably not for you. Seriously people grow up its getting beyond the joke, 38 pages and 90% of it is people asking inane questions or repeating whats been asked. Tony tbh if I was you id knock the idea on the head before someone turns up with Schuey as a guest driver.

Cup In bits
This thread is pretty funny, people saying I will do it without even thinking half the costs through.

Is CS totally naive, do you really think people will enter this just for fun, fun leads to the aspiration of winning and onto new ways of doing so.

Half the questions asked are relevant. Cheating will always happen especially with the title 'one make series' and a strict list of what and what cannot be done need to be written, you can't just say a standard car it doesn't work that way.

Some have jumped on the bandwagon as well slating others for asking these questions when they will have to be answered at some point but i'm sure Tony will get it all together if you give him time.

Simples .... can you afford 10k in year 1 and 7k for each year after as those are pretty realistic start from scratch figures

Fwiw those are similar figures to club racing karts in rotax max at lower end of budgets if people want a comparison

Spec will be as per released regs which tony seems to be slowly putting together but sounds fairly standard

Outside that people who have not raced before will obviously have many questions

WRX
Well nobody can really do anything until the basics are set in stone. My only concern is that some seem to be trying to go above and beyond the initial idea. I realise that people will push the boundaries of what can be done as someone will always want that extra advantage. It's just that the more you allow, the more the start up cost will be. Like has been mentioned many times, it's because an almost standard car is capable of doing this, that it's been born. The idea is that you buy a car, spend the minimum necessary to meet safety requirements and get out there.
Why does it need complicating?
I reckon I'd have finished in front of about 4 "proper race cars" at Mallory last Saturday. They may have been smaller engined but still a genuine racer. So there would be some achievement there for me. That's the type of thing I want out of it, mixing it with another few similar cars would just add to the enjoyment. I grew up with my dad racing, so I'm well aware of what is involved. I can't afford to compete against the likes of what we used to call the hillclimb top ten "The Big Boys" - In French Trophy those being Tony, James and Ian but I can afford to at least get on the grid.