ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

Ph2 172
What's with the running theme of punching people out/brawling in the car park? :confused:

Blame Jason Plato and Matt Neal

"I'll rip your f**king face off..." Etc.

It will be a massive shame though if this gets derailed by a chequebook hero. That's not what this series is about. As long as some stay faithful to the ideology of this series then there should still be some decent door to door racing thrills to be had.

If some helmet wants to go all out, either illegally or within the regs as Chip states, then more fool them, they may as well be doing a trackday if they want to be driving around with nobody challenging them. Can't be any fun.

Last edited:
  Cooksport Fleet
Swap engines around between competitors ;)

Whatever happens someone will pour big bucks into this series... It happens in every series, but I guarantee they won't be the ones winning.

It's all about how well it is policed.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
So what about someone who was a genuinely better driver (Sam, Josh etc) - surely by the same merits that would be equally as 'unfair'?

Would toys be thrown & would they be picking up their teeth aswell?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Swap engines around between competitors ;)

Whatever happens someone will pour big bucks into this series... It happens in every series, but I guarantee they won't be the ones winning.

It's all about how well it is policed.

I think the easiest way to prevent people excessively developing the cars is to have a rule that if someone offers you 5k for your car then you HAVE to sell it.

That way no one will put more than 3-4K or so into their car in the first place.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So what about someone who was a genuinely better driver (Sam, Josh etc) - surely by the same merits that would be equally as 'unfair'?

Indeed, its not a non competitive sports day at a lefty feminist run primary school, there are always going to be winners and losers.

Some people will be winners because they are better at extracting performance from the car on track, and some will be winners because they are better at altering the car within (or just outside) the rules, either way its never going to be "fair"

Ph2 172

Clearly it's all in jest mate. You don't need to play the devil's advocate.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think Daniel is just an angry little man who got bullied at school, lol.
Its only him talking punch ups so far.

I must confess that I do think racing is better with fisticuffs in the carpark and some real hatred than with all this nice friendly nonsense tony and james do etc, far more likely to be interesting for the spectators if the entrants hate each other!

It's got nothing to do with being bullied, it's to do with morals amongst 'friends' supposedly all doing this series for the same reasons; cheap Motorsport. It would be a sad shame if after season 1 a lot of people leave because of one or two assholes that see fit to cheat or bend the rules.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

No. Don't be stupid.

I think the easiest way to prevent people excessively developing the cars is to have a rule that if someone offers you 5k for your car then you HAVE to sell it. That way no one will put more than 3-4K or so into their car in the first place.

Then what? You're without a car and miss out on the races..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LOL! Yes, I'm sure everyone would be annoyed that someone was a better driver than them.... because that's well unfair. Perhaps we should put stockings over Sam's head so he can only see a little?

I hope there's not all this BS going on when it really happens but I guess we'll see.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's got nothing to do with being bullied, it's to do with morals amongst 'friends' supposedly all doing this series for the same reasons; cheap Motorsport. It would be a sad shame if after season 1 a lot of people leave because of one or two assholes that see fit to cheat or bend the rules.

Ok, so assuming me or you go out there with our average car and average talent and do a 57 second lap of mallory.

Lets say that Steve joins and builds a car thats VERY competitive but still within the rules and does a 56 with his average talent too

And Josh with his "mad racing driver yo skillz" goes and does a 55 in a car the same as yours and mine.

How is it that Steve is somehow ruining your day and going to make you leave the series but Josh who is also quicker than you isnt?

If you want to just go out and have fun then do so, it wont matter why people are beating you and if its talent or better car surely?

If you want to go out and really try hard to win then I guarentee that you also over time will want to improve both yourself and your car to do so, thats what ALWAYS happens when people care about winning.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
What about a spend limit on the car?

if someone can work out what it would cost to get a car up to scratch, add x amount ontop for random bits and bobs. Then have a spend limit over the course of a year?

​tough to police but keeps costs down.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What about a spend limit on the car?

if someone can work out what it would cost to get a car up to scratch, add x amount ontop for random bits and bobs. Then have a spend limit over the course of a year?

​tough to police but keeps costs down.

Thats why I am suggesting a forced ceiling price you have to accept to sell your car, its the best way to put a spending limit on as if you do it your way then you have to somehow police what people are spending, and thats going to be literally impossible, where as if you just tell people they HAVE to sell their car for 5k, you can guarentee they wont go and spend 10K on it, in fact they wont even want to spend 4K plus a lot of hard work on it!

Cooksport Fleet
You can't apply rules into the regs about selling cars, won't work.

The ONLY way this will work, is if we start it and develop regs as we go. Everyone is trying to make this so competitive.... It won't be. It's FUN.

If you want to race for ego boosting points, go race something else... Where someone will actually care if you win or not.

What about a spend limit on the car? if someone can work out what it would cost to get a car up to scratch, add x amount ontop for random bits and bobs. Then have a spend limit over the course of a year? ​tough to police but keeps costs down.

Impossible to police.

"I got this engine for a quid off my mate" etc

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yes, but then it's the time of building another.

You can't just enforce a spend limit as you can't prove what someone has spent. But if you, in theory, had something like chip says, where someone hands you 7k, you have to build another car with some of that money, then give yours over... so you don't miss a race. But then someone with money could just offer to buy your car to waste your time! LOL

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You can't apply rules into the regs about selling cars, won't work.
It works in other series. Like the budget swedish rallycross series.

The ONLY way this will work, is if we start it and develop regs as we go. Everyone is trying to make this so competitive.... It won't be. It's FUN.

To you having done much higher level racing it will just be a bit of fun, but to some others where this is the highest form of racing they have ever done, they will want to really compete.

If you want to race for ego boosting points, go race something else... Where someone will actually care if you win or not.

Josh, how many series have you raced in where no one cares about winning?

330i. E30 Touring.
Think it's being over thought tbh.

It'll be obvious if anyone cheats. We all know who can pedal and who's not so able.

Two close cars pulling out of same corner, one pulls away noticeably. You'll ask why.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
LOL! Yes, I'm sure everyone would be annoyed that someone was a better driver than them.... because that's well unfair. Perhaps we should put stockings over Sam's head so he can only see a little?

Tongue in cheek Rob, what with people bitching about how unfair life is etc.

Post #652 seems a fair summary.

Cooksport Fleet
If it was forced sell for 5k.. And I was intending on cheating (being scum).. I'd get a shitter and bang a 3k engine in it... Still be in pocket.

Nice idea, but it won't work IMO

Cooksport Fleet
It works in other series. Like the budget swedish rallycross series.

To you having done much higher level racing it will just be a bit of fun, but to some others where this is the highest form of racing they have ever done, they will want to really compete.

Josh, how many series have you raced in where no one cares about winning?

I don't think you have quite understood what I meant... Obviously everyone cares about winning, otherwise they wouldn't do it....

No one else (i.e. touring car teams) is going to think "wow he must be one hell of a driver for winning a standard clio race"......

Cooksport Fleet
The easiest way to do it... if someone is cheating... they WILL get caught. Its only a matter of time. When they are caught, ban them for a number of meetings (dependant on the severity of cheating and up to the discretion of the scuits)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
I can feel the anger from Tony from 60+ miles after him reading these past few pages. Some stupid bloody comments in here...Just build a f**king car to the proposed spec, get out there and have FUN!

Agreed but there's always one or two that are willing to go that little bit further and hopefully not mess it up for others.
If they cheat they'll just be moved up a class.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed but there's always one or two that are willing to go that little bit further and hopefully not mess it up for others.
If they cheat they'll just be moved up a class.

Thats why its important to clarify the sort of points Steve raised, so work out what is cheating or not in the first place.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Really no need to get angry. There's only ideas being floated about, if people are getting angry then I would suggest they themselves are taking this too seriously

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Any cheats will only be cheating themselves. Any cheats found can be towed round the track for at least one lap by their ankles.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Really no need to get angry. There's only ideas being floated about, if people are getting angry then I would suggest they themselves are taking this too seriously

Because cliosport.net? :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
At this rate, it's sounds like it'll fall apart and be punch ups before the first race.

And it is a good idea.
A less extreme example of what happens are buffed tyres (worn out !) for dry track, less buffed for a damp track and full tread for wet track.

As standard 'control' tyres wear they get faster in the dry slower in the wet.

Steve