ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Basic spec Renaultsport Clio Race Series

Audi A5
Here's a questions as we're floating ideas around.

Camber bolts allowed but what about elongating different parts of suspension for more camber and castor?

Won't cost money and gives more suspension adjustment options.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
TBH, after reading the last few, people are right, it won't be difficult to spot the cheats in what is supposed to be an evenly matched field. Have a ban system put in place and point deducted or similar, should secure that it's not worth it.

I look forward to reading Tony's rules and doing some man maths. I was supposed to buy a new car next year, but maybe a year racing would be more fun.

Cooksport Fleet
Here's a questions as we're floating ideas around.

Camber bolts allowed but what about elongating different parts of suspension for more camber and castor?

Won't cost money and gives more suspension adjustment options.

Not worth it mate, especially as people will forget all regards for their own safety to find an extra 10th. I prob wont even run camber bolts to be honest!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH, after reading the last few, people are right, it won't be difficult to spot the cheats in what is supposed to be an evenly matched field. Have a ban system put in place and point deducted or similar, should secure that it's not worth it.

You cant ban someone just cause they appear to be quicker though, you have to work out WHY they are quicker, and then ban them if that reason breaks the rules.

Audi A5
Not worth it mate, especially as people will forget all regards for their own safety to find an extra 10th. I prob wont even run camber bolts to be honest!

Very true. I knew their would be a disadvantage I just couldn't think of it.

Keeping it simple is key as well I guess, so better to just rule it out.

Cooksport Fleet
Cheating happens in every form of motorsport.... this shouldn't be the "hot topic" of this championship, otherwise people will keep banging on about it during the season. Just trust Tony and the guys running it will do their job properly (which I KNOW they will).

Sooo lets steer this more towards something else maybe? i.e. circuits, roll cages, tyres etc.

(just my 2p worth)

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
You cant ban someone just cause they appear to be quicker though, you have to work out WHY they are quicker, and then ban them if that reason breaks the rules.

They may not break a rule, its so easy to bend them in different ways.

So much can be done to stop this and must be made clear as possible in the rules!

Tony don't know what he's let himself in for IMO! Don't think he'll loose any sleep of it though!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheating happens in every form of motorsport.... this shouldn't be the "hot topic" of this championship, otherwise people will keep banging on about it during the season. Just trust Tony and the guys running it will do their job properly (which I KNOW they will).

Sooo lets steer this more towards something else maybe? i.e. circuits, roll cages, tyres etc.

(just my 2p worth)

I agree, no one will cheat much (or even stretch the rules) during the first year or two anyway, it happens later on when things get more competitive normally in these sort of series.

They may not break a rule, its so easy to bend them in different ways.

So much can be done to stop this and must be made clear as possible in the rules!

Tony don't know what he's let himself in for IMO! Don't think he'll loose any sleep of it though!

i raced for years in a sealed engine class where every engine was the same ..................... yeah of course they were LOL it became an absolute money pit

of course people will try and spend and sort cars to have the best they possibly can .... most of clio cup is tied down so tight in the regs , yet it will still cost 10 x what this costs !!

Cooksport Fleet
Also in motorsport, once you cheat and get caught.... every single bit of success you have there after (regardless if its legit or not) with be branded due to cheating. Not. Worth. It.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i raced for years in a sealed engine class where every engine was the same ..................... yeah of course they were LOL it became an absolute money pit

of course people will try and spend and sort cars to have the best they possibly can .... most of clio cup is tied down so tight in the regs , yet it will still cost 10 x what this costs !!

Im sure some of the people crashing in clio cup are doing so on purpose to get a nice fresh unfatigued shell out of the sponsor/insurer to get quicker again, not against the rules but not in the spirit of them either!

WRX
Some form of reverse grid, should sort it out to a certain extent. If people really want to go to extremes of a)cheating or b)splashing stupid amounts of cash at it, then let them. They will probably be standing on their own in the paddock. Part of the enjoyment for me will be the banter on the day. As Jay said earlier, the enjoyment will be beating yourself, not cheating yourself. It ain't what you got, it's the way that you use it.

If somebody does appear to stand out, have an independent take it out for a few laps.

I'd feel really good on the top step if I'd cheated or spent 10k more than somebody else. (NOT)

Cooksport Fleet
Clio cup rules (as others) you must race in the car you qualify in... other wise everyone on the grid must sign a piece of paper agreeing to the change. Between meetings you can swap cars as much as you like, I could buy a new one for each meeting if I had the money!

Lotus Elise
OMG what a load of b****cks the last 3 pages have been.

Sit tight and be patient for the first draft of the regs to be released and discussed.

It amazes me that people who have never competed in motorsport are already deciding everyone will be cheating and that is not the right attitude especially for a new series. I suggest, stop all this nonsense and let the people with the experience (Tony) and in the know get on with making the decisions. I'm sure much more information will be along shortly.

P.S anyone want the number of a good engine blueprinter?

Im sure some of the people crashing in clio cup are doing so on purpose to get a nice fresh unfatigued shell out of the sponsor/insurer to get quicker again, not against the rules but not in the spirit of them either!

there are always ways within the rules to be faster , people will do them , its racing and therefore a fact of life, but it does not make you a cheat.

there are always the top people in every championship , and i'd stake my christmas dinner on the fact they know things the guys further down the grid have not worked out yet , and thats specifally more the case in any minimal changes allowed fixed championship

Cooksport Fleet
To be honest, its not going to be the car which is limiting factor for most people anyway... common saying in motorsport; "there is tenths in setup, seconds in the driver"

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

LOL

Lets hope that Tony's series lasts for long enough for that sort of thing to start being useful, all the rule bending that people like Steve are mentioning only get done in established series, so if those sort of things start happening it will show how much people care about the series :)

OMG what a load of b****cks the last 3 pages have been.

Sit tight and be patient for the first draft of the regs to be released and discussed.

It amazes me that people who have never competed in motorsport are already deciding everyone will be cheating and that is not the right attitude especially for a new series. I suggest, stop all this nonsense and let the people with the experience (Tony) and in the know get on with making the decisions. I'm sure much more information will be along shortly.

it does show how cynical people are Sam .... and i see it as getting everything spot on to get the best out of what you have within the rules and your budget ..... its not cheating but lots see it as thus if the budget is bigger than theirs.

​i have no input , as i am racing other non motorised things at the moment .

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
To be honest, its not going to be the car which is limiting factor for most people anyway... common saying in motorsport; "there is tenths in setup, seconds in the driver"

Agreed, Im sure if I had a car with a blue printed engine and more camber than intended etc, you'd still hand me my arse in a legal one.

cosmetic, not structural... stop trolling! LOL

i have done my best to stay out josh but work is light this afternoon,

i don't miss the you must be cheating comments in parc ferme but would love to get another couple of seasons in before i am like tony and need an annual medical ;)

Cooksport Fleet
I've got my battery located underneath the passenger seat, so will have to see if the regs let me keep it there as I CBA to move it!! Im prob going to drive to and from the event too.

WRX
My black Ph2 172 with all the trimmings to take out.
I have the heaviest car so I blatantly have an excuse to be at the back:approve:
As long as I enjoy it, I couldn't give a toss what everyone else is doing.

I will be using the pseudonym S. Mowle

182cup & 172 racecar
At least we are on page 36!!

I will try and answer some questions a little later, but fk me there are some dumb ass suggestions in here.

If I had the space, I would build the cars myself and just turn up with them at a meeting and draw numbers to allocate cars.

​That would be fun.