ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery and STOP flashing. LIGHTS pulsing

hey guys

My clio was fine on wed, drove it 45 miles.
Then last friday I went to start it, and the battery and stop lights started flashing. Also every light (tail, side, clock, dash, interior light) pulses.

I have read other threads on this issue and I would like a bit more info.

I checked the main red alternator wire which seems to be secure, not broken at the small bit you can actually see.
The alternator belt is intact, - although I have not checked the tension.
I have checked the battery terminals they are both secure.
The car starts fine (infact ive started it 5 times since its been doing this)
The voltage across the battery with the car off is 12.6 ish
The voltage across the battery when charging fluctuates between 12.8 - 13.9 volts. (it spends most of the time around 13.5 volts.)

Please help renault want £49 just to tell me whats wrong, the dealer is 14 miles away too, If its the alternator I dont know how far I will get.

Here is a video of the voltage on a multimeter, and the lights doing their thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHI90RwBsb4

mk2 ph2 172 Flamer
there is one in passanger wheel arch and one going to the gear box but ideally you need to be under the car to see the second one

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
You probably need a new battery. My car did similar to this the other weekend while I was in the middle of a forest marshalling on a rally. I managed to bump start it and got it home but the battery just suddenly died completely. I tried jump starting but that didn't work. I had to buy a new battery and fit it myself to cure the problem.

Oh and the flashing lights get faster the faster the engine revs.
Its a model with a clutch in the tensioner aparantly, so my guess is the tensioner may be on the way out.

Thanks guys, Ive taken it to a buddy with a car garage.
New alternator on the way by the look of things, will find out in a few days.
I will update the thread with any findings too.

Titanium Clio 182
Hey, did you ever find the problem to this, mine is doing very similar but couldn't see the lights flashing, but interior lights were flashing and the stop and battery light were flashing. By alternator is just over 1 years, my battery was new with the car, a 54 plate, nearly 8 years old.

172 cup
Hey, did you ever find the problem to this, mine is doing very similar but couldn't see the lights flashing, but interior lights were flashing and the stop and battery light were flashing. By alternator is just over 1 years, my battery was new with the car, a 54 plate, nearly 8 years old.
Have you sorted yours as my interior light is pulsing