ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery draining overnight hummmmmmm

Hi I've had this problem for a while now.

ATM I disconnect the negative overnight and reconnect in the morning to get round the problem, car starts and runs fine.

My alternator is fine I've been told and I've just had a new battery so that also is fine.

But if I leave the car overnight with battery connected It's normally flat by the morning.

I've sometimes caught it ticking quite loudly which I presume is this UCH I heard people talking about?

What should I do as my next step(s) to track down where this draining is coming from?

Thankssss

This happened to me turned out to be a fault with one of the doors and the car thinking its not closed, caused the boot light stay on without me noticing, maybe worth a try?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
You need to get a multimeter put in line on the battery to check the current draw, unless there is a light,stereo,phone kit etc staying on that's the only way to find out.

E46 M3, Clio 182
Do you have cruise control? and do you leave it switched on at the panel next to the t/c button? As this has drained my battery before.

Just like to say a big thanks to AlexW who contacted me privately to help.

He kindly came round to my house (which I locked myself out of, and had to climb though the bathroom window lol)

Anyway plugged in his spanky device and went through my whole car.

I was told previously by someone else it wasn't the alternator, so after going though both my fuse boxes he tried the alternator and found it was reading 0.3 when the car was off and locked.

unplugged it and it read 0.0. bingo.

Now on the look out for a alternator so I can finally fix the problem and get the car on the road.

Thanks again Alex, was nice to meet you and appreciate your help.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
So how does this work then? The alternator is drawing current, why would it be doing that? Strange sh*t electrics are!

Clio sport .172
I 've had the same fault,replaced the alternator,(for the second time,first time was over charging)and now it is exactly the same,as it was before! Discharging to the alternator 0.3 amps.and you can sometimes hear a hum noise ,from the alternator,just like yours.I would be interested o hear how you get on !

Many.
Only just seen this thread again.

You're welcome as always.

As to how its doing it, basically its backfeeding and trying to turn the alternator as a motor, so if you came out to in the morning (after leaving the battery connected overnight) then more than likely it would be quite warm. Its pretty common on most vehicles.

Sleepless - More than likely got a faulty second hand item, If you're local I'd happily look into it, but I would imagine I'd just find the same fault as you've had before.

Clio sport .172
Both the alternators I have used have come from my local auto-factors ,and are meant to be from different suppliers ,but both have the same fault.When i put an amp meter in line it starts off reading 0.3 amps then falls slowly to 0.1 amps.
I also found yesterday draining 0.05 amps to the 2 amp fuse for locks? And draining 0.05 amps to the fog lamp fuse!!!!!!my Toad alarm seems to be on this Fog lamp fuse???!!