ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery relocation gone wrong!

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Hi guys,
Bit of a strange one. So I have very recently relocated my battery to the boot using an Odysey pc680. Did a nice neat job and using a thick wire. Not had any problems. It's done about 80 miles. However almost got home today and the dam thing was firing on 3 cylinders and in the end gave up. Left the car on the side of the road for 30 minutes and towed it home. Felt the battery when I got home and it was hot! So it must have been roasting. . . Under the bonnet I put the ecu (gen90) where the battery sits as a temporary measure, however it must have vibrated loose. The voltage in the battery was 3.5v! Tested the car with old battery and it fired back into life.
So any gurus out there know why A- the battery cooked? Is it linked to the ecu becoming loose nd not ezrthed?
I have yet to check the alternator to see what bolts it's kicking out but I'll be surprised if it is this that caused it? Could be wrong
Hope you guys can shed some knowledge
Thanks
Mark

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You need to check the voltage that the alternators putting out for a start.

What size cable did you use?
Is the earth cable the same thickness as the positive cable?
Is it a good earth point that you’ve got?

Running a battery in the boot requires good quality thick cabling to cope with the flow.

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
It is yes I'll measure it. Earth strap is marginally smaller? Earth is bolted 12 inches from battery using one of the old rear seat belt anchor bolts. Never struggles to start . I'll check alternator tomorrow evening and report back. I'm hoping I can charge the battery and it's ok?!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
If the battery is reading 3.5volts, then it's fucked im afraid. I can't see that recovering at all

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I'm in the process of reverting back to the old battery for now. I took a photo of the cable used. It's 6mm in diameter which equates to 28mm2. Not small?! Earth was the old battery earth from under bonnet.
Will report back once I get it fired up and test the alternator.
I HATE ELECTRICS

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Here are pics of said wiring and farthing point. Bit of a bodge using the eye but I thought it would be good for an earth point
f05a94c8c7cf615950e032538edef4e2.jpg
7c921849ee750d1d717c124db88b608c.jpg

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Grrr
I have just this minute connected old battery up and as soon as i did a horrible smell is coming from back of alternator. Started the car fine, tested back of alternator red lead to live and black lead to earth. Fluctuating readings including up to -6v and also checked battery end 10.3v.
So we have a fucked alternator

markmcgivern

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
If the battery is reading 3.5volts, then it's fucked im afraid. I can't see that recovering at all
Battery is brand new, fingers crossed it seems to be charging, after 2 hours it's at 11.7v

dan's cast offs.
Battery is brand new, fingers crossed it seems to be charging, after 2 hours it's at 11.7v

they're shite!!! seen so many of them throw in the towel after hardly any use, wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Whenever you make a new Earth make sure you clean the chassis where the earth is made and then coat it is grease to prevent corrosion, seat belts are a crap Earth unless you clean them, kids love earthing amps there and wonder why you get noise :(

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Know a few people who've ran powervamp even as a daily and they've not had a problem.

The oddest just seem to be so fussy and go flat if you give them a funny look!!!!

I've spent a few hours looking and I think they have stopped making there own batteries? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

Tom