ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bb vs k-tec

i thought id ask but is bb anywere as good as k-tec, there clio isnt as good as the k-tec clio,but what about there service,sales etc....

wait for Performance GTi to put BB and K-tecs clio against eachother... its due soon, i read it somewhere!

that will be the decider!

yes in the next issue i think!!! sorry but k-tec will win,ok the mark 1 is lighter,but bb just copyed k-tec and there spec isnt as good.....

BBs clio Mk1 16v turbo is well better than K-tecs, BBs show car standard.

BBs 172 turbo ex, Nice and subtle did you read the feature in PGTi last month. K-tecs is nice just abit ott for me.

Mazda MX5 1.8

dont really like going to ktec as they never seem very interested. (luckily im not easily offended) only been there twice tho...... but dunno about bb never been there

i like the phase 1,bbs car is nice in scarab green limited edition ..but the mark 2 is a better car,and has a more agressive look....lets just say its like putting the phase 1 and 2 v6s together....no contested

Quote: Originally posted by pigme1000000 on 28 January 2005

yes in the next issue i think!!! sorry but k-tec will win,ok the mark 1 is lighter,but bb just copyed k-tec and there spec isnt as good.....
do u even know what u are talking about ????

Quote: Originally posted by night.icon on 28 January 2005

lol, sorry dude

Mk2 phase 1

Mk2 phase 2

mines a mark 1, valver shape

i like the phase 1,bbs car is nice in scarab green limited edition ..but the mark 2 is a better car,and has a more agressive look....lets just say its like putting the phase 1 and 2 v6s together....no contested
im guessing youve got a Ph2 then :sleep:

Quote: Originally posted by night.icon on 28 January 2005

I was getting that impression too.

audi S3

if you read on the cars for sale you will see k-tecs first turbo conversion it had abuot 5 owners all haveing problems with it the car speeks for its self CRAP

ps sorry to who ownes it now

there is now way k-tec is better then BB

chavs shop at K-tec as they cator for more stuff that matters for them but BB is always about performance

if i had my clio it will go BB no doubt not k-tec

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

I live closer to bb, but have never been to either- when ever i made any enquires at k-tec they were very prompt at gettin back to me,perhaps i,ll have a drive down to bb next weekend.

My money wouldnt go on either it would be a proper 2.0T transplant with 6 speed personally.

But the Ktec setup is a better made Mexican setup kit so most of the problems should have been worked out there no problem with them. Ktec may be seen as chav but who cares its going to be £6k whoever you go to BB or Ktec and they will both be with there problems.

BB converted the bits from there 1.8 turbo kit I belive and there nothing wrong there.

2.0T engine and box from the MEgan/Vel satis/Laguna is the best way to go plus you can keep the 172 engine safe and use a better turbo block pistons etc rarther than an aftermarket modifed N/A engine. When Fred finishes hopefulyl there will be a better idea of the costs/problems but it will be less than K-tec or BB.

The last option is the VAG 1.8T engine the high power versions used in the Cipra R and TT will akke 270with just a chip and should cost about £5k to be done. j3ned is the person to ask and hes putting a guide together on how to do this which should help widen the option choice.

Quote: Originally posted by pigme1000000 on 28 January 2005yes in the next issue i think!!! sorry but k-tec will win,ok the mark 1 is lighter,but bb just copyed k-tec and there spec isnt as good.....

but both of them are using the same kit are they not? from the south american tuning company?

^^^ this is a question, not a statement.

/y0z

[Edited by y0z2a on 1/29/2005 12:21:01 AM]

BMW 320d Sport

Im not quite following all this, but Yoz if youre talking about the 172 turbo conversions, K-Tecs is the Mexican kit, BBs is their own ground-up design, similar in spec to the valver conversion but with better performance due to the greater potential of the 172 lump over the old F7P.

I vote BB, but to be honest I think they cater for slightly different markets anyway - plus East Anglians tend to use BB and South coast people use K-Tec, for convenience more than anything else.

Lionel Richie

Im writting into PGTI (once mine is finished and ive tested it) and im laying down the gauntlet to "these southern fairys" (K-tec and BB)

j3ned is also gonnna be joining me in his clio tt280, Nick you up for this little "clio turbo challenge??"

note to self - turn antilag on!!!

BMW 320d Sport

No problem Fred, definitely count me in - but see if you can make it either a weekend or weekday during a school holiday - remember in my line of business, I cant book days off, ever. I would be well up for that. Battle of the Clio turbos.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Does any one know what the figures are for the two turbos??? BHP wise....

Wonder wont mpg u would get lol?

Lionel Richie

the k-tec 172 did 239bhp at 9psi IIRC (was still being setup, should be near to 260 once finished)

the BB one did 270bhp at lower psi than k-tec (i think)

the BB rolling road is "interesting" with its claims IMO (all their cars hit bang on the power, whilst alot of people that have used it are no where near)

^thats not meant as a "sl*gging" comment, just an observation, ive never been to BB, so cant really say yay or nay about them, but their work does look very good

all i can figure out is the BB one is runnning a near std comp ratio maybe 10:1 (guess)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

lol i dont know who has the better car and i dont care lol, ktec have been helpfull but some of there staff are assholes lol treat u like sh*t, but also a few of there staff are really nice, the younger of the 2 main mechs is a really nice bloke to chat to, and david can have a good chat now and then when he isnt busy, + his wife chats alot too.

bb on the other hand i called once and they gave me some help, were nice over the phone, i then phoned back a few days later to ordersome parts was told it would be sent that day as i needed it really bad, 3 days later still didnt have it, phoned up spoke to some woman who gave me a parcell number saying it had been sent called the parcell company and they had no record, yet anouther call to bb and was told by some 1 else infact the parcell hadnt been sent and was just about to go out, so not only could they not be bothered to send the item when i ordered (money left account straight away) they then lied to me on the phone, i posted my experience on rtoc and Rach contacted bb who promised to phone me and appologise... that was over a year ago and im still waiting, so bb can go fist them selfs as far as i care lol.

172 Exclusive

I think the best thing to do will be to wait until PGTi when the test is in there to find out what they think of them both

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 29 January 2005

all i can figure out is the BB one is runnning a near std comp ratio maybe 10:1 (guess)
They have stuck some low compression pistons in in the end I belive since stock ratio will severly limit HP.

i have both the performance gti mags and they both look great.! but i like the mark 2, also nice chrome pipeing look better than lots of samco hoses

BMW 120i Sport

Hmmm, for the price of a new 182 + turbo conversion, id prefer a second hand STi with AWD with loads of further tuning potential as opposed to a very highly strung FWD hatch.

[Edited by Big G on 1/29/2005 6:31:18 PM]

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000

Anyone post up specs of these motors? Been into *cough*Ford*cough* turbo cars for ages, love to see how the other marques turn na into forced induction.

What times/top speeds have these cars posted?

TBH really think n/a is a strong point of the Clio as i cant imagine even turbod ones making good drag cars, surely these cars are all about great linear throttle responce with go-kart like handling :confused:

i will let you know that bb did not do all the work to there clio well i say that but thay did but it was running real crap so thay gave it to john at torsion tunning and he got it sorted out and now it runs like a dream pretty quick as well

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 29 January 2005

£6 bloody grand and they still both use open I/K:confused:
turbocharged mate, so its not AS important, plus there arent many closed kits that can really handle that much power

BMW 320d Sport

In my experience when BB first got their rollers in they were way out. After a few months they had them sorted out and since then they have been much more accurate than any other rollers Ive ever used. And Ive spent a lot of time putting my car on rollers, and debating rolling roads over the years so I know what Im talking about.

Stanton - what is it that Jon is supposed to have done on BBs Clio turbo then? Not that Im doubting his ability, I know hes a serious fella and respect his work, but he always dealt with GTT engines AFAIK - I cant imagine what he could do with a 172 turbo that BB couldnt do themselves a lot more easily?

Fred - exactly mate. When I was looking at changing my filter over to a closed system I looked at a BMC CDA, a Pipercross Viper Evo etc. None of them really flow enough air for the job. WHen you look at the kind of surface area that a traditional conical or cylindrical open filter needs, you can see that those kind of closed IKs are only good for 200-250bhp top whack. As you say its more important to have a big warm filter than a small cold one.

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 29 January 2005

Hmmm, for the price of a new 182 + turbo conversion, id prefer a second hand STi with AWD with loads of further tuning potential as opposed to a very highly strung FWD hatch.
I cannot see any of then selling many turbo cars but its all about image the company will get and all the free advertising.

I cannot see any 182 owners turboing them for a bit but phase 1 and 2 172s are getting quite cheap now say £6~8k then another 6k for the tubro kit and youve got yourself a bit of a sleeper for 182 money.

sorry people i have to appoligise as i got my wires mixed up in my last post john at torsion did not work on bb,s clio and it was running fine i was thinking of a totaly different clio again very sorry :oops:

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 30 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 29 January 2005

£6 bloody grand and they still both use open I/K:confused:
turbocharged mate, so its not AS important, plus there arent many closed kits that can really handle that much power

I see where your coming from fred but at £6k surely a £250 Viper or CDA would make some difference and these will be capable of taking the power.

Plus they look much tidyier under the bonnet then a open i/k imo

Smokey

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey on 01 February 2005

I see where your coming from fred but at £6k surely a £250 Viper or CDA would make some difference and these will be capable of taking the power.
Plus they look much tidyier under the bonnet then a open i/k imo
No theres no need so logn ads you can get enough air though it restriction isnt a problem as you can just run more boost.

Lionel Richie

there both running scared of my "under construction" clio 282 and j3neds clio tt 280 (which will be terrorising the uk on tuesday!!!)

smokey, vipers and BMCs can only flow enough air for 250bhp +/- a wee tad

seriously, ive looked into this, best bet is to use a BIG filter in a heat sheild (like the systems used on big power cossises, evos etc)

do you see rally cars using vipers??? nope, they use cone/cylinder filters in a heat shield (my mate is now a development engineer at prodrive)

if its a big issue, f**k it, just turn the boost up!!! :devilish: