ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best brake set up for 197 ?

197 cup
Sorry if bin posted before but I'm in need of new discs and pads on the front what would people recommend ? Interested in the 330mm 2 piece discs but not sure on pads ?

​Cheers Sam

Depends what you mean as best? Best for road and best for race are two different things. You wouldn't want ds1.11 on the road only. I'd go for yellowstuff or ds2500 for the best 'road setup'

I had a new brake setup fitted recently (PF 330mm discs, Ferodo DS3000 pads and KTR braided lines) and repeated an ABS stop test that I did a while ago on my old brakes, now that the new brakes have bedded in. Test was done on the same car, same driver, same fuel load, same road and same ambient conditions. All data was logged by my onboard motorsport data logger.

Below are the results:

Old Brakes (Pagid pattern replacement discs and pads)
60.68mph to 0mph
Time taken: 4.15133 seconds
Distance taken: 64.27 metres

New Brakes (PF 330mm discs, Ferodo DS3000 pads and KTR braided lines)
62.51mph to 0mph
Time taken: 3.462 seconds
Distance taken: 55.7 metres

When the car with the new brake setup had come to a standstill, the car with the old brakes was still doing 9.49mph.

The new brake setup stopped the car 8.57 metres sooner and 0.689 seconds quicker.

Old brake setup generated peak deceleration of 0.94g after 3.22 seconds and maintained this for 0.319 secs

New brakes generated 0.94g after only 0.692 secs and generated 1.05g after 0.862 secs, then maintained that for 1.485 secs

Below is a graph showing the two tests overlaid.
Braking%20Graph.jpg

I did a track evening this week at Snetterton and the brakes were flawless. Absolutely no fade throughout the whole evening.

In terms of "best brake setup", I think you would be hard pushed to better this.

Attachments

• Braking%u00252520Graph.jpg
    Braking%u00252520Graph.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 93
  Lionel Richie
It would be intersting to see what the 3000 pads on stock discs did JamesS

We've just launched are AP kit, but it ain't cheap!

197 cup
How much would I be looking at from you Fred 330 mm discs and recommended pads ? And what's the difference between the ap s and the k-tec and Godspeed 330 mm s ?

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
ours aren't 330mm, they're stock size 312mm - pointless going 18mm bigger, will make next to sod all difference in real terms!

It seems like you WANT to go overboard, just stick to stock brembo discs at £80 give or take, and decent pads (£120 +) and see how you go?

bit mad lauching £700+ if its a road car, regular track days then go nuts!

ours aren't 330mm, they're stock size 312mm - pointless going 18mm bigger, will make next to sod all difference in real terms!

Fred,

If you ever want "next to sod all difference" quantified, I'm more than happy to test a set and publish the results!

Lionel Richie
18mm is sod all, i think most of your recorded difference will come from the pad

Plus sticking to 312mm saves £150 over the PF kit (which is a great kit!)

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
would interesting to compare

£80 brembos
£600 AP's
£720 PF's

all with the same pads, cast iron is cast iron, sort of LOL!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
£600 for an AP kit, that's Bloomin cheap.
what calipers are they using, or is that just an AP bell and rotor setup?