ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Driver’s Car for under £15K

In this weeks Autocar they aim to find the best drivers car for under £15K at Rockingham. Out of 25 cars the Cup comes 3rd behind the Civic Type R (at £15995???) in 2nd and the Mazda MX-5 1st (at £15495 ?). The Cups lap time was the 2nd quickest of the lot, 0.5 of a second behind the Civic. BTCC driver Phil Bennett said of the Cup "a very capable drivers car...the motor is twice that of the a Cooper S. Superb."

and they twist it to suit themselves dont they? journos must be worse than politicians!! I know it was a long time ago when I went to school, but when I was at school £15995 and £15495 were both OVER not UNDER £15000???!!!

but we all know the Cup/172 is the best thing for under £15k so thats all that matters! :D:D:D:D:D:D

VW Potato

good old Autocar.

So, does that mean that they now think the Cup is a better drivers car than the MINI. Or is the MINI is the better hot hatch? I couldnt actually careless which it is, but its just unusual for Autocar to be inconsistent, thats all...(hearty cough)

g

i have test driven the mx 5 and i wud agree that it is beta than the cup cos its more nimble and the steering is spot on. plus i am a fan of the mx5 and always have bin which is y i so badly want 1

I drive a Cup & the Missus has a 1.8MX5 s . i much prefer the Cup for driver thrills (plus she moans like fuk if i leather her car) But really the mazda is more suited to posing with the top down although the steering is very direct. Its just tooo slooow...I have instructed her that her next ragtop must be an S2000 honda & shes happy with the choice, she says it looks nice but has no idea of how fast it is..he Little does she know i have had 2 trackdays involving heavy use of S2000s & some sideways action- wont be too long before you can pick up a second hand one for 15K thats value for money!

Renault Laguna Coupe

The MX5 is a lot slower round a track than a 172 - there were 3 of them at Donington Park last November and they were cannon fodder for the Cliosport team :D

yeah got a copy of the mag here! it should really be called "best car for under 17k!" ish! they have cars for 16.5K in there but are sayin altho thats the price, you can haggle and deal to get em for under 15k!
oh well! clio still rules! and as one of the cheapest cars out of the 25 i think 3place isnt bad! and 2nd fastest round the track!

Altho good on the type R!

he he theyre only stating the obvious. Ill have a 200hp cup for less than £13k. Beat that with an butt ugly CTR. Mwahhahhhaaaa

Astra 1.9cdti XP

So do they now like the CTR??? They slated it last time they had it round the track. Wish they would make up their minds!!!

Doubt your get 200bhp for less that 13k m8.....more like 16k and thats using throttle bodies.... Ill just stick to a nice looking CTR that already has 200 bhp standard so i dont void my warrenty or strain the engine...

VW Transporter 174

"but we all know the Cup/172 is the best thing for under £15k so thats all that matters! "

Looking at the data id say it was the VTS ,less(just) than 1 second behind the CTR and well in front of the 200 brake Astra. Add to that all the free insurance and tuning potential it has to be the King of hot hatches at the moment-for the money. 1:27.55......WOW

Slayer

mk2 172

hehehehe is that what the vts did? mine is tonnes faster with de-cat and sealed ind kit

muhahahahahahahhahahahahahh

muhahhahahaahhahahahahaha

muhahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Hiya Steve, good to get a reaction. Bought the car as a demo for 10.7k with 2k miles on. . May get to 200hp (just) without TBs, otherwise thats an extra £2.5k ie £14k car. Ill post the RR results when Im done in June and a copy of the invoices ;). Looks are perso, but I really prefer the cups - had my choice of cars and did a little cost/power/weight comparison + needed 2 occasional seats in the back, so went for cup as toy car!!

Yeah I know what u mean but small is not always better or your see Clios winning touring cars and you dont eh...... Dont get me wrong I do like the cup I really do and if i didnt have all these problems I might well have brought one but lets face it Renaults are sh*t....

Coz I got to pay mine off now... Im stuck with it for another 2 years... Soon as I paid for it though and that warrenty runs out im trading it!!!

Good for you, instead of moaning to us, why dont you stay off a clio forum and talk to the CTR boys about how you like to dream at night.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

hehe, come now lets not be nasty to the CTR lover..

he is entitled to his opinion, as are we which is that the CTR is a bread moving MPV with such ugly looks it scares children from up to 5 miles away..

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by DannyBoy on 29 April 2003

The new VTS they used has morette headleamps and rear clusters! do they come like this as an option now?!
yes astoundingly dealer fit only

i didnt say hes not, but when we have to listen to his dribble about hows hes unhappy well......

ive got the option of ignoring him, but i choose not to lol.

CTRs are good, 172/Cups are good..... shut up and talk about something more interesting.

Did you notice how Autocar didnt mention about the Cup having crap brakes this time thay hammered it on a track? LOL

Oh and the CTR has gone from Zero to Hero? what the f**k are they on about, talk about change of heart.

LOL........ your all sooo funny

I dont even know if I want a CTR just yet but Ive driven one and think they are the dogs b****cks.... But I also fancy a nice second hand scooby....

VW Potato

Steve - perhaps youd help your case if rather than saying that Clios are sh*t, youd elaborate a bit more; maybe theres something about the handling you think could be better, or you feel the gearing is not right etc....just saying its sh*t doesnt really help that much.

g

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 29 April 2003

Steve - perhaps youd help your case if rather than saying that Clios are sh*t, youd elaborate a bit more; maybe theres something about the handling you think could be better, or you feel the gearing is not right etc....just saying its sh*t doesnt really help that much.

g
Love the handling.... Love the looks.... f**king HATE RENAULT they have weak parts that fail from my caugh caugh hard driving...... If I had not have had 2 gearboxes and 1 circlip in 11k miles then maybe I might like them!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

om pom pom om pom pom didly didly om pom

all the birds are singing and the day is just beginining

pat feels hes gotta really crappy van

everybody knows................

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 29 April 2003

maybe if you learnt to dirve it a bit better?

ive not broken anything ever.

Exactly i drive mine like a total arse

i expect it to explode

Come on guys, you would be lying if you said Renault has a good reputation for build quality. LOL.

They rattle and bang and clonk.....the 172s do go like f**k though (as long as you rev the nuts off it), so as long as you dont mind the odd bang, lose seat, slipping clutch etc etc there ok.

As for CTR build quality? f**k knows.....i have heard bad and good stories, at the end of the day i think its luck of the draw.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 29 April 2003

low blow
have you broken anything?

surely Renault doesnt jsut give all the crap boxes to him!

and how do you brake a circlip!!!!!! lol