ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best engine modifications for a cup 172?

Clio cup 172
Had my 172 a couple of weeks now and i'm getting used to the power and find myself wanting some more.
When i got it the guy claimed it was cammed and mapped. It does run a tad lumpy on idle and goes really well. But the typical no proof excuse is there. It has got a yozza catback exhaust and a cone filter(which i will change for an enclosed one).I will get it rolling roaded after i fit a new dephaser and timing belt. Just wondering what else you guys do for power. And i don't fancy turbo or supercharger..

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you're going to be doing the belts soon, look at a cams + remap package from someone at the same time.. Danny or Fred perhaps.

Plenty of info on the forum.

Apart from that, you're looking at megabucks for ITBs or Forced Induction to get anything noticeable really.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Turbo is the cheapest way to a decent increase, cams and bodies are a great way to spend 4K and only be slightly faster TBH

Clio cup 172
If you're going to be doing the belts soon, look at a cams + remap package from someone at the same time.. Danny or Fred perhaps.

Plenty of info on the forum.

Apart from that, you're looking at megabucks for ITBs or Forced Induction to get anything noticeable really.

Its 'supposed' to be cammed already. But this is the only sport i've driven so i wouldn't know the difference. Unless i took the cam covers off and measured the size of the lobes and compared the measurements with standard?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its 'supposed' to be cammed already. But this is the only sport i've driven so i wouldn't know the difference. Unless i took the cam covers off and measured the size of the lobes and compared the measurements with standard?

You do realise on this engine that taking the cam cover off to measrue them is about a 4 hour job all in and requires timing tools to get it back on?

Black Sheep
From what I have read (a lot). Chasing power without doing a turbo is an extremely costly and pointless hobby, as Chip has mentioned.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
From what I have read (a lot). Chasing power without doing a turbo is an extremely costly and pointless hobby, as Chip has mentioned.

In terms of increases its basically a case of
ITBs and cams = 30bhp for 4K
Turbo conversion = 100bhp for 4K

Clio cup 172
You do realise on this engine that taking the cam cover off to measrue them is about a 4 hour job all in and requires timing tools to get it back on?
I'm replacing the belt and dephaser pulley anyway and can get ahold of the correct tools to lock timing

Ph2 172 Track Toy
What do you use the car for? Can you take the rear seats out and buy lighter front seats? Much cheaper way of going faster with the added bonus of improving the god awful driving position.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you had fast cars before ?

Unless you've got money to blow, trying to get power out of these is pretty pointless. For £2k you can buy an Impreza which is quicker out the box and almost infinitely more tuneable, for example.

They feel fast <100 on the road anyway... down a B-road at 60-70ish is as fast as I'd ever want to be on the road in a small tin box. Housemate's M3 was too refined and at 100 on the same B-road, I could have made a cuppa TBH. Clios were never designed to be fast really. Get the handling sorted and do some track days. Your £x,xxx's will be much more fun.

Chasing power in anything always leaves you wanting more. I thought my 172 was quick when I first got it. It still felt quick when I sold it but I never wanted more really. My 300+hp Impreza felt like a Saturn 5 rocket when I first got that ! I was soon used to it and wanted more but luckily for me it ate the (already f**ked) gearbox and I put my sensible head on instead and ended up with a standard one.

Clio cup 172
Have you had fast cars before ?

Unless you've got money to blow, trying to get power out of these is pretty pointless. For £2k you can buy an Impreza which is quicker out the box and almost infinitely more tuneable, for example.

They feel fast <100 on the road anyway... down a B-road at 60-70ish is as fast as I'd ever want to be on the road in a small tin box. Housemate's M3 was too refined and at 100 on the same B-road, I could have made a cuppa TBH. Clios were never designed to be fast really. Get the handling sorted and do some track days. Your £x,xxx's will be much more fun.

Chasing power in anything always leaves you wanting more. I thought my 172 was quick when I first got it. It still felt quick when I sold it but I never wanted more really. My 300+hp Impreza felt like a Saturn 5 rocket when I first got that ! I was soon used to it and wanted more but luckily for me it ate the (already f**ked) gearbox and I put my sensible head on instead and ended up with a standard one.

I've had 'quick' cars. Not fast ones. 106 gtis and 8v 106's that have been cammed etc. I chased a lad i work with who has a impreza around the 300bhp mark and i didn't do too badly. And i thought i woulda come off worse than i did. So this clios quick, but i dunno what brake it should be.. A rolling road should be the best to identify power i suppose.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
There's no way on earth that was running 300 hp .. or the guy was a spoon.

Mine was silly quick. Quicker in gear (just!) than my housemate's e46 m3.

My standard one was dead level from about 50-100 with a friend's stripped cammed 182...

Anyway ... enough pub talk. Strip it, breathing mods and cams if you can justify it.

If you want a fast car .. buy one ;) or just enjoy it for what it is !

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
250px-Balde.png

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How much are running costs increased by fitting a turbo? General wear an tear etc

Depends how often you use all the extra power.
When just driving briskly you dont have to rev it as much to make good progress so some items will be more relible after the turbo conversion than before.