ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best insurance for a 17yr on a P 1.2 clio

3 MPS, MX5

One of my staff has a son whos recently bought a P reg 1.2 Clubmed (not sure what that is) and hes 17 years old and about to take his test.

The car cost £1600 but the insurance quotes are more than the car is worth with TPFT. I bought a new 550 Boxster S this year and paid £416 fully comp, and before anyone says anything about age, I am under 40 :p

Has anyone got any sugestions where to go for cheap insurance at that age?

elephant were w**k for me

tesco did me £1100 FC under my dads name when i was a learner

Current insurance is admiral £600 TPFT 18 no ncb

3 MPS, MX5

Ive tried Elephant thanks, also Tesco, Directline, Egg, Adrian Flux, Priviledge, Norwich and Halifax. Nearly all are over £2,000 an odd one or 2 about £1650ish.

thats shocking

though he would probably be better going under his dads name as a learner

after hes passed all the quotes should come in under 800

Quote: Originally posted by ukravo on 16 November 2004

Hang on, how can Elephant be "w**k" but then you went for Admiral? Im guessing they must be very similar.. being the same company and all..

Elephant were cheaper by about £20 I think than Admiral.

Ive just passed my driving test on thursday and as a learner under me dads name i was payin about £1200 if i get insurance in my own name now will it be much cheaper?

2004 1.2 Dynamique

Mine was 1089 in my mums name on a 1.2 8 v clio, declared my alloys exhaust and spoiler!!

And oh yes, the insurance company whistled, when they pulled my pants down!

2004 1.2 Dynamique

Quote: Originally posted by justinRT on 16 November 2004

yeah churchill for me to. 1996, 1.4RT, 17 years old, £1070 TPFT, in my own name

JK
you b*****d!! 19 pound cheaper than me!!!! :p

actually thats awesome, mines in my mums name ant its 1089, thats only for a 1.2
[Edited by JoelDee on 16 November 2004 at 2:55pm]

endsleigh are always good for young drivers on low powered cars. Haggle them and they will get down to 1k i reckon.

If not tell him to get pass plus then go with norwich union as theyll count it as 1 years NCB.

Alternatively go on elephant or admiral and add his mum as a named driver.

3 MPS, MX5

Quote: Originally posted by justinRT on 16 November 2004

yeah churchill for me to. 1996, 1.4RT, 17 years old, £1070 TPFT, in my own name

JK
I just tried them and it comes out at over £1500 and the postcode is not in a high risk area. I dont understand:confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 16 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by ukravo on 16 November 2004

Hang on, how can Elephant be "w**k" but then you went for Admiral? Im guessing they must be very similar.. being the same company and all..

Elephant were cheaper by about £20 I think than Admiral.
no idea mate? didnt know they were the same company, but elephant dont seem to like me, maybe my postcode? i dunno, i know they run the same online engine for processing quotes but believe me, admiral was cheaper

i put down 6000 miles a year at churchill, if that helps, but im the only named driver and am also in a low rate crime zone. oh yeah, parked on the driveway

JK

Quote: Originally posted by 18ME on 16 November 2004

I bought a new 550 Boxster S this year and paid £416 fully comp, and before anyone says anything about age, I am under 40 :p

New Boxter eh.....................BUCKET:D

£416 F/Comp.......................CHEAPSKATE:D

Under 40 eh..............................FLAT CAPPED OLD CODGER:D

By the way you have PM

Cya Stu

Quote: Originally posted by dudelove on 16 November 2004

i was 17, and payed 995 TPFT for a 1.4 RT :eek: which is a higher spec and engine power than the 1.2.

hes getting ripped

Tell him who that was with then:D

3 MPS, MX5

Quote: Originally posted by stusV6 on 16 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by 18ME on 16 November 2004

I bought a new 550 Boxster S this year and paid £416 fully comp, and before anyone says anything about age, I am under 40 :p

New Boxter eh.....................BUCKET:D

£416 F/Comp.......................CHEAPSKATE:D

Under 40 eh..............................FLAT CAPPED OLD CODGER:D

By the way you have PM

Cya Stu

Thanks for the info, but what does bucket mean? and Ive still got all my hair so no need for that flat cap yet, although I might get a baseball cap when I pick up the wifes 182 in 3 weeks time and then turn the same baseball cap round when I pick her Clio V6 up on the 1st March;)

What does BUCKET mean:eek:..................scrapper, nail, junker, crappy, rubbish:D

And you have PM.

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 16 November 2004 at 4:33pm]

S2000

what do you all think about going under your parents name in the insurance?

I dont know how Ill do it when I get my car - I think I may be putting it under my dads name because I couldnt afford it otherwise because of other commitments. Its not as if I would be the ONLY user but I would probably be the main user of the car but as I say it may be the only way I could afford to pay for it. I know its not the best option but I would hope to change that after a year anyway as I would have more money availiable and would want to build up my own NCB etc.

When i past my test i bought a brand new clio 1.2 with free insurance, cost me 100 quid a month and then tradded it in after a year. In total it cost me less to own the car for a year than it would of cost to buy a second hand 5 year old car then insure it. Once id got the 1 years NCB + the 1 year free NCB my insurance more than halfed.

I used Adrian flux/ Highway was £750 But allowed to modifty which makes them cheaper than anyone else.

Im 22 with 2 yrs NCB.

Mate just got insure with Tesco (are good) at 21 for £900 as a first car.

Quote: Originally posted by dudelove on 16 November 2004

i was 17, and payed 995 TPFT for a 1.4 RT :eek: which is a higher spec and engine power than the 1.2.
His is also a P reg.. which, is a Phase3.. they were higher.

500bhp Scoob

im 19, paying just over 1200 tpft on a 1.4 RT K reg.

Im with liverpool victoria, couldnt find it cheaper anywhere else, had to haggle to get em to lower it.