ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best rear setup for 172 cup?

Clio 172 Cup
172 cup running KW V2s at the front; what would people recommend as the best rear setup (springs/dampers/arb) to match the front. Mainly used on track and fast road.

Im on a reasonably tight budget, so whilst Cup Racer rear coilovers would be nice ;-) I've got to look a little bit more down market.

Car will be running road semi-slicks mainly.

Cheers

Andy

205 GTI, Clio 182
The best setup is the AST rear coilover (a proper coil-over-spring, rather then the way everyone else does it with a conventional spring and damper). Has a lot of adjustment.

I would recommend a Koni yellow adjustable with either the KW spring or Eibach SportLine.

derv biege barge
I will +1 on the koni's but with eibach pro.

Enables very confident spirited driving ;)

No regrets, plus they don't leak like Renault dampers either, nice added bonus.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't understand the question.

You want the best rear setup, but can't afford it. :S

I want a F355 but I can't afford one. Shall I start a thread?

In answer to your question, IMO, The best rear set up would be a single coilover unit, a pure motorsport rear beam stiffening kit, some camber/Toe shims, and a bearing conversion kit.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I run kw v2's on my car and found the rear way to soft for track work. I opted to modify the kw's and had custom made stiffer rear springs and got the kw dampers revalved to my settings. Works perfect on track now and is useable on the road.
I also use the pure motorsport bearing kit in the rear beam along with their shims to add camber and a very small amount of toe out. It's lively with the toe out on the back and tbh, not to everyones taste. Dial out some of the toe in that's on the rear beam would be my advice and see what you think to it.

The kw rear dampers are koni's anyway btw.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3

In answer to your question, IMO, The best rear set up would be a single coilover unit, a pure motorsport rear beam stiffening kit, some camber/Toe shims, and a bearing conversion kit.

<3 Daniel :rofl:

Clio 172 Cup

Ok, I admit it's maybe a bit of a misleading title. What I'm looking for the best setup for my 172 cup, given the mods I have, how I'm going to use it and the budget I have in mind.

Given the KW V2s up front, do you think a rear coilover kit will be overkill and outclass the front completely?

I was thinking Koni sport rear adjustable dampers and some stiffer rear springs, but if a rear coilover is similar budget then I'd like to find out more. On the other hand, I could just junk the existing kit and buy ASTs but my budget is not £1K+.

In terms of ARBs, do you have experience of the rear beam stiffening kit vs the whiteline ARB vs Ultra Racing ARB? I did a search and couldn't find anything. I don't know anything about the bearing conversion kit - is this a stiffer set-up or just uprated bearings to extend life?

As you mentioned, I think Camber & Toe shims should be on my shopping list to play around with.

Cheers,

Andy

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, I admit it's maybe a bit of a misleading title. What I'm looking for the best setup for my 172 cup, given the mods I have, how I'm going to use it and the budget I have in mind.

Given the KW V2s up front, do you think a rear coilover kit will be overkill and outclass the front completely?

I was thinking Koni sport rear adjustable dampers and some stiffer rear springs, but if a rear coilover is similar budget then I'd like to find out more. On the other hand, I could just junk the existing kit and buy ASTs but my budget is not £1K+.

In terms of ARBs, do you have experience of the rear beam stiffening kit vs the whiteline ARB vs Ultra Racing ARB? I did a search and couldn't find anything. I don't know anything about the bearing conversion kit - is this a stiffer set-up or just uprated bearings to extend life?

As you mentioned, I think Camber & Toe shims should be on my shopping list to play around with.

Cheers,

Andy

The bearing conversion kit for the rear beam removes the play that you get from using the original rubber bushes. These are replaced with spherical bearings and locate the rear axle more securely. That in turn means that the geometry at the back end remains the same.

When I got my springs made and dampers revalved it cost around £360. I don't run with a rear arb so I can't pass comment on any of the ones you mention. Tbh, now I have the stiffer springs and dampers I don't feel there's a need for one either really.
That is purely personal preference though.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Do you know what rate springs you got for the rears and where did you get them made up?

Andy

The springs were made up by coilsprings in Sheffield. They were custom made to my spec. They can make anything you like, you just need to ring them up and ask their opinion mate.

For track work and fast road you are going to be compromised though. If you go to stiff it will be almost unbearable on the road and try to throw you off into the ditch at the next available opportunity. You MUST get the rear dampers revalved to suit as well. That's the most important part tbh.