ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best value tyres for 172

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I have a phase 2 172 which is currently on Apex -40's. My 2 front tyres are shot and the rears aren't far off either.

Which tyres are the best VFM. I drive enthusiastically so need a decent level of grip without any traumas in the wet.

I have been looking at Yoko' A539's, 195/45/16 with V rating at £45 per tyre on Mytyres. Are these worth a pop or are there any other suggestions at around the same price mark?

Ben

Black Clio GT
pilots exaclo 2's are the best ive had!!
p zero neros are good, along with f1's and proxes!!

most of them are reasonably priced on my tyres.co.uk

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Cheers Jooliana. Didn't spot that, 'tard.

It's looking like Proxes, £46.50 vs £68.60 for the PE2's. That's more than a £40 difference just for 2.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
yokos are amazing in the dry, cannot fault thm.

in the wet?? scary as fook!!!

M2 Competition
My t1-r's grip like a gorilla in the dry! far better than the pe2's i took off in the dry imo.

Think theyre slightly better for grip than the tyre which they replaced, the t1-s.

Not sure about wet, but not worth caning it in the wet anyhow!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I don't shoe it in the dry so should be safe there. I just don't want anything dangerous as I've heard Yokos can catch you out.

So you'd go for T1-R's over PE2's then Rex?

Megane225FF
Kumho Ecsta last a long time, decent grip in the dry, but poor in the wet.
Uniroyal Rainsport offer good VFM £50 a corner

M2 Competition
I would, but its up to you mate. If all four need changing eventually then its an 80 quid difference!

I think the toyos have slightly softer sidewalls than the pe2's, but with 40mm apex this wont hurt, and might even prove a slightly more compliant ride.

Subway runs proxes also, he's been fine on em, and his cars a beast on track...

D

dick

i wont be buying proxes again.

i prefered the federals to the proxes t1-s

t1s are nearly gone tho. pe2s i think next,

D

dick

it had federals on before, and they were better than the toyos

FEDERALS!

D

dick

screetch too much, everyone just thinks im a wanker for driving too fast, altho the car aint sliding at all, can feel it under me, but screetch like fk

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
So it's purely a noise issue? Everyone things I drive like a tool anyway so that may not be a problem.

D

dick

lol!

yea, nice n grippy in the dry i must admit, some of the rounabouts ive got round at pace im suprised im still here!

i dont thrash about in the wet, but all accounts there not very grippy in wet.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Excellent, cheers Dick.

As said, it's not worth the risk in the wet but it's good to hear they are good in the dry when I like to 'open her up a little'.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Do you value your car??????????

If so pe2 or contisports, personally im not bothered about grip on dry days ( anything will do on a day like today) but when it rains ( more than it's dry in this country) you need the best rubber to keep your car on the black stuff.
If your going to waste time & money on 45 quid tyres good luck, but you may as well sell it & buy a ford KA.

The reason i like my car & am looking for a late 182 at present is the fact not many cars give the same confidence in the wet................

106 GTi
Had the toyo T1-s on my 205 GTi great in the dry but shocking in the wet even when not pushing on. If you dont want to go all the way up to PE2 money, Good Year F1's are the next best thing.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Best value tyres?

Yoko A539's...end of.

If I didn't have 15 tyres cluttering up my shed already I'd buy the set for sale on here in a second.

All this "gotta have good wet grip"...no.

Got to be alert and acknowledge the change in conditions and modify driving style accordingly...that's what stops accidents. There isn't any road tyre available that will keep you on the road in the wet if you drive like a pr!ck.

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue Mk2
F1's are very good VFM in my opinion. One mate has 539's and rates them well, another thinks they're shite. Shouldn't want/need a good wet tyre unless you're tracking...asking for trouble pushing it in the wet IMO.