ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to take off Castle nut?

172 CUP
Ok how have people managed to get their castle nut off that hold the driveshaft into the hub? i tried it tactically and then with brute force and ended up breaking my wrench lol.

How has anyone managed to get theirs off?

Cheers

p.s i have sprayed it with wd40

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Get the right socket and get those bars that have the right size so the socket clips on, cant remember what they are called, but it works a treat,

Handbuilt 172 Cup/ 1.2 8v
yep, 30mm socket & breaker bar, best doing it when car is on the floor before lifting it up.

RenaultSport 172
I had this problem the other week, only I had no suspension on the car so couldn't use the weight of the car. Biggest breaker bar/scaffolding pipe you can get will crack those badboys off. :)

Clio Mk2 Ph1
i soaked mine overnight in wd40 then in the morning used a 6ft scaffold pole over my wrench and it came off easily

172 CUP
before i attempt this again with the suggested ideas does anyone know if to take the nut off do you have to turn it clockwise or anti clockwise? as i know with some cars you have to do it clockwise cos they have a left handed thread

cheers :)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thirded! And a breaker bar is ideal or a length of pipe that fits over teh wrench. Some ratchet mechanisms wont cope with the torque hence why a breaker bar is better.

172 CUP
cheers lads will most likely give it a go tonight, i have a T bar and a Breaker bar to use so will hopefully be able to get it off