ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big job list

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Hi,
i've slowly collected a bunch of parts for the car and time has come to put it all on!
Being a hobby mechanic i'm getting help from a real one to save me from myself......?
the job is as follows:
- put rollcentre correction kit on (I must be the last to do so)
- change gearbox and clutch
- change steering rack

i'v put together a joblist because i'm anal and wonder if the experienced mechanics (@bloke , @NorthloopCup come to mind ) on here could have a look and see if i'm right or if there are area's that need special attention.

Friday

• Loosen shock top nut
  • Wheels off
  • Drain gearbox
  • Calipers off and hung out of the way
  • Discs off
  • Remove driveshaft nut
  • Remove wishbones
  • Pull hub off driveshaft
  • Remove driveshaft
  • Remove shocks
  • Remove bumper
  • Remove liner
  • Support engine and gearbox
  • Loosen steering shaft on rack (note position of knuckles relative to eachother)
  • Empty PAS system
  • Remove steering rack PAS lines
  • Remove subframe
  • Curse a few times
  • Remove subframe
  • Remove rack from subframe
  • Clean subframe
  • Mount new rack
  • Mount new track rods on rack
  • Center the whole rack and make sure the shaft is in the same position as the old one
  • Remove ARB
  • Replace ARB bushes inner and outer
  • Remount ARB
  • Mount rollcentre corr wishbones (old version powerflex bushes) do not torque up completely yet!

Saturday:

• Remove all wiring from gearbox
  • Remove dogbone from gearbox
  • Release gearlinkage at gearbox end
  • Remove clutchcable
  • Release gearbox to engine bolts
  • Remove gearbox
  • Remove clutch
  • Remove flywheel
  • Clean and inspect crankshaft flywheel flange
  • Replace oilseal
  • Clean new flywheel mounting face (alignment?)
  • Mount flywheel with new bolts and loctite
  • Mount new clutch
  • Grease tube on new gearbox
  • Mount release bearing
  • Check all moves smoothly
  • Put gearbox back on
  • Reattach all wiring
  • Put driveshafts back on
  • Fill gearbox
  • Put clutchcable on lever and pedal
  • Put gearlinkage back on
  • Do NOT find any gears
  • Mess about with adjustments and find gears
  • Be happy

Monday:
  • Clean coilovers and check nothing is seized
  • Replace bearing in topmount
  • Remount coilover at the top
  • Put subframe back on (take care with steeringrack/shaft)
  • Mount rollcentre hub on driveshaft with new nut and support
  • Mount hub to shock bottom
  • Mount ARB end to wishbone
  • Mount wishbone to hub
  • Put studs in hub
  • Put disc back on
  • Put caliper back on
  • Put wheel back on
  • Do a full alignment
  • Do a testdrive
  • Try to stand up straight
  • Be proud

if you've read this far, thank you for your patience and help!

dan's cast offs.
Will probably think of more but...

Top nuts and hub nuts cracked off before wheels off the ground.

Bumper, slam panel and headlight off first, gives you so much more room to work with.

Shifter linkage off, split it at the pivot on the front arm that way shouldn't need adjusting when it goes back on.

Get some long bolts for the subframe, one rear and one front one. Drop it down at the rear and take heatshield off, gives you loads more room to get to the bolts that way. The long bolts let it drop lower and makes it all easier.

Hubs and then dampers off, again gives you more space and one less thing to hit your head on!!!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome, thanks for taking the timeto read and reply!

Will probably think of more but...

Top nuts and hub nuts cracked off before wheels off the ground.

Thanks for reminding me the hub nuts can be removed with the wheels still on...!

Bumper, slam panel and headlight off first, gives you so much more room to work with.

Bumper etc i though off but wasn't sure...I'll put it on the list, this is what you need experience for.

Shifter linkage off, split it at the pivot on the front arm that way shouldn't need adjusting when it goes back on.

the gearbox will be changed for a diffed one. i may still have to do some adjusting though, as I need to lift the reverse lock a little bit sometimes to find first....?

Get some long bolts for the subframe, one rear and one front one. Drop it down at the rear and take heatshield off, gives you loads more room to get to the bolts that way. The long bolts let it drop lower and makes it all easier.

Good idea, i was thinking complete removal, what size/thread are they? (might get some threaded rod and nuts)

Hubs and then dampers off, again gives you more space and one less thing to hit your head on!!!

if you think of anything else....keep it coming!

dan's cast offs.
There is probably loads more but I tend to go on autopilot when I'm doing them but if I think of anything else will let you know.

2003 Clio 172
A dab of grease on the ball for the clutch pivot fork.

Interesting point Steve as I may be faced with the same stripping job as bozo soon.

Any specific type of grease? I thought the manual stated some fancy stuff

Also, anyone know if that wee plastic/rubber nubbin is replaceable or should it be replaced?

J

PH2 172
Interesting point Steve as I may be faced with the same stripping job as bozo soon.

Any specific type of grease? I thought the manual stated some fancy stuff

Also, anyone know if that wee plastic/rubber nubbin is replaceable or should it be replaced?

J

I just used some High melting point grease I`ve had for years, it might be Morris, but doubt it matters that much.

The ball was Ok, but if you need one, it`s 7700875163.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DACIA-RE...ONTROL-7700875163-700667-TOPRAN-/192709310735

A smear on the inside of the thust bearing would not go amiss either.

Last edited: