ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big Steve's RB Clio 182 Cup Restoration

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I've been into my small fast Renault's for ages now but still can't really explain why...? ?

My first (and what started the love) was my first Renault 5 GT Turbo Raider 1990's:
2.jpg

That was my Mum's brand new Valver back in the day...! The Raider 5GTT Turbo model was the closest it could come to owning the Valver... well the same colour at least!!
1.jpg

I sold that car and went back to Vauxhall's for a while until 2003 when I bought another Renault 5 GT Turbo Raider which I still own now and I restored in 2006. This car has become a little infamous over the years being one of the first that was fully restored whilst others continued to be modified and abused (more on that later) I still own this car:
DSCF0387.jpg

1105.RH.JL.3747.jpg

Couple of years later I bought Flan's Clio VAG and thrashed that round for a while (Great Fun that car!!). I sold that car some time ago back to Flan incidentally!!
IMG_6525.jpg

I then bought a Renault 11 Turbo for a Restoration Project. I still own this car, and am also working on restoring this at the moment:
227.jpg

I then bought myself a R5GTT Coupe Cup Car I used for track days. Great fun but It was just too damn un-reliable for a trackday, and I was getting passed by standard looking Ciio's all the time. So I sold this car:
facebook-20131207-151909.jpg

As I enjoy the odd trackday, I replaced the 5GTT Coupe with a Megane R26. (Still own this car at time of writing):
IMG_20170625_1405151~2.jpg

So I don't need any more Renault's do I...?

Last edited:

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
So this summer during a bit of usual car parts eBay browsing, I stumbled across a Clio 182 that someone had spent a LOAD of money on getting resprayed... but just needed "a few bits" (my arse) to finish. The pictures of the car looked great and of course, being Blue, really caught my eye..

IMG_5157.jpg
IMG_5159.jpg
IMG_E5161.jpg
IMG_E5162.jpg
IMG_E5164.jpg
IMG_E5166.jpg
IMG_E5168.jpg

So I kept a watch over the auction and thought that the price of the car (considering the respray had already taken place) was fairly reasonable. At this point I didn't quite know how I was going to explain this to my little sausage @Millie_Bee as another car would be the last thing she would support.. so I just kept following the auction.

So on the final day of the auction (26th July 2018) I was sitting at Peterborough Rail Station waiting to pick Sarah up and thought I had nothing to lose by having a cheeky bid... I was sure it would be beaten..

s**t I WON IT!!
?

Some very nice cars you've owned, especially like the restored R5.

RB is the best colour and that one looks mint. Interested to read more...

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
The car was near Southend On Sea, so that Weekend I came clean with my wife and we had a ride down to have a closer look at the car. Fortunately the reality was just like the pictures, so a deal was done and funds were exchanged:
IMG_5187.jpg

I bought the car without the Engine fitted (I've got the Engine and Gearbox) so wasn't going to be driven back to my house under it's own steam, so after a little bit of Internet Wizardry, a driver was soon dispatched and the car soon appeared...
IMG_5191.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
So whats my plan?? Well I restored my R5GTT when parts were plentiful and cheap... so I'm now going to do the same with this Clio 182?? I'm not expecting the car will become as rare and exclusive as my 5GTT Raider (Perhaps I should have bought a Trophy... but I can't stand RED) but I think it will polish up well...?

Now the car was with me, I started to make a list of the bits I would need, and very soon, went to see a nice chap in Kidderminster who was breaking a Clio 182, and I have a load of bits off him:

IMG_5216.jpg
IMG_5245.jpg
IMG_5261.jpg
IMG_5264.jpg

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Don't know if it's me going mad but on the pics the oil breather on the rocker cover goes from a 172 breather to a 182 setup [emoji23]

Your right. I think you can put a 172 breather plate onto a 182 engine but not the other way round. I could be wrong though.

Maybe OP can enlighten us to this continuity error [emoji23]

EDIT - 182 engine pic is from the car he got parts off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Your right. I think you can put a 172 breather plate onto a 182 engine but not the other way round. I could be wrong though.

Maybe OP can enlighten us to this continuity error [emoji23]

EDIT - 182 engine pic is from the car he got parts off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It did confuse me for a minute.

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the interest guys, I really appreciate it!! Oh and it will be a real help for you all to help point out to me where all the stupid little brackets and clips go that I've either got in a box stuffed in the boot, or have already gone missing!! ?

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've also got a Renault 11 Turbo I'm currently restoring (Warning, slight thread detour) that's been at the bodyshop now for 18 bloody months (Don't get me started about bodyshop's) and I've been expecting it back for about 12 of those 18 months so have not been getting too involved in anything else as I was waiting for the 11 to return. Just before Christmas 2018, there was a flurry of activity at the Bodyshop, and I was sent these pictures of the progress in the last days of 2018..
Primered:
DFD23803-5652-48EF-A82C-4E2836B7E112.jpg

Final coats of colour and laquer:
7C856806-69A4-4C46-B260-F39650F25CC9.jpg

Rough re-fit, ready to shoot the OE satin black accents present on a R11 turbo:
7D659C33-D600-4C9A-ABB5-C1C9A11B880A.jpg

Funnily enough, this week (WK2 2019) the Satin Black is due to be sprayed onto the car, so hopefully I will have a new picture of the final painted body sometime soon to share with you...?

ANYWAY... Black to the Clio, this is Cliosport after all!!
?

Before I knew about this extra effort on the R11 Turbo, the Clio was parked outside under a nice fitted cover I had made for it, waiting for it's chance to get into the garage. I figured that I would not be seeing the R11 anytime soon, given it's nearly set root at the bodyshop, so decided to wheel it into the garage, so I could start to have a tentative prod around underneath and make a start on the work.

I wheeled it in and made a start on stripping down the subframe and brackets in the engine bay. Crazy how a car that was build in 2003 looked like it had been at the bottom of the bloody SEA with all the rust.. ?⚓

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6280.jpg

Makes me laugh how the arches are all nicely stonechipped and black, and the bloody suspension parts are rusty as sh1t!!
IMG_6281.jpg

Needless to say, there was enough to sweep up afterwards:
IMG_6282.jpg

I pulled the Subframe out (after a bit of a fight with a few rusty bolts):
IMG_6284.jpg

And again, the anti-roll-bar was looking past it's best somewhat...
IMG_6286.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I did think the engine looked like it had been attached to a boat for a while?. I guess with the body freshly painted the mechanicals will all be powder coated to keep up then?

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I also removed the ABS Pump bracket, and found that it was not removed as part of the re-spray, so there was again some tin-worm lurking behind it, that I wanted to sort out:
IMG_6300.jpg

IMG_6303.jpg

Following a LOT of work like this on my R11 turbo project, I'm well used to the procedure now... rub it all down to remove the flaky stuff. Then cover the rust with your preference of Rust Killer/Inhibitor. This is the stuff I use, but you take your choice:
IMG_6305.jpg

The FE-123 Rust Converter attacks the rust, and turns it black to show you the bits it's working on:
IMG_6325.jpg

As we're in the depths of winter at the moment, i was spraying the car in the cold weather, so thanks to a trusty Screwfix Heater, and a little cover to stop the heat escaping, things were soon hotting up!!
IMG_6323.jpg

When everything was dry and warm, I then painted it with primer:
IMG_6326.jpg

Basecoat:

Then laquer:
IMG_6337.jpg

Leaving the finished result looking as good as new!!
IMG_6354.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Now the area was nice and clean, I couldn't go fitting the ABS pump assembly back in in the same sorry state that was in...
IMG_6300.jpg

So the bracket was sent off for powder coating with the rest of the black engine bay parts & brackets:
IMG_6250.jpg

And again a few hours work with the elbow grease soon brought the ABS pump back to looking respectable:
IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6347.jpg

IMG_6341.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

IMG_6342.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

Leaving the final assembly looking all spangly again:
IMG_6359.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
CS can be a harsh judge sometimes. And worse executioner ?

? Bring it on I say, I know the R5GTT inside out which was why it made my restoration of that easier that it will be on this Clio. I've not got the first clue of what goes where.. so I'll be asking you and the rest of the people here what I'm missing and where bits go!! That RB thread you linked up will be a gold mine for reference now!! ?

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
In addition to the ABS Pump and the Master Cylinder and Servo, I thought it also wise to give the engine bay brake lines a little bit of loving to get rid of the start of some rust that had developed on them in places. Just a quick brush over this time:

IMG_6379.jpg
IMG_6380.jpg
IMG_6390.jpg

Knowing what the elements will do to the standard Renault anti corrosion protection, I thought it wise to beef up the coatings on a new pair of wishbones I came across:
IMG_6391.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

IMG_6393.jpg

IMG_6394.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the quality of the respray on the body like?

Actually quite good. I’ll polish it like a diamond in a goats @ss (copyright Gas Monkey) when the car is back together.

Looks great when it’s all together, but as we both know, a picture can not quite represent the full truth..

DE695F7A-3A10-4026-9F27-8F54EDC5334E.jpeg

Awful, it's not odyssey

Actually I’m learning to love it now, and like the fact I’m growin my Renault Blue collection... ?

The question will be if I fit the stripes on... ??‍♂️

Shaping up to be a great project.

I love the Raider........... what a great car. I would love to own one.

Thanks. The Raider is like a child to me now, will never part with it.

Last edited:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
In all honesty @Big_Steve_T RB is a fantastic colour and really looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Car looks a great base despite the little Gremlins you keep finding along the way. At least you know its been done and done right now building it back up from scratch :)

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Next step was to re-fit the subframe, but before I did that, I re-fitted the Anti Roll Bar (Anyone who has ever done that job would recommend it's fitted off the car!!! #arseache). As the main ARB to subframe fixings were seriously corroded, I managed to get hold of a new pair from Renault. You can see the difference! ?:
IMG_6417.jpg

Again I want to try & protect the new ones from going the same way, so gave them a coat of primer and paint:
IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

Then fitted the ARB to the freshly powdercoated subframe:
IMG_6425.jpg

I gave the rubber bushes a few minutes in front of the garage heater to soften them up a little before I fitted them:
IMG_6427.jpg

IMG_6432.jpg

Then I re-fitted the wishbones and the rough looking hub and suspension (Don't worry, all that will be refurbished fully when I get the car back into the garage, i've got new shocks already):
IMG_6433.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

It's starting to come together in the bay now:
IMG_6437.jpg

IMG_6445.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't possibly re-fit the power steering rack back into the car looking this bad:
IMG_6438.jpg

I looked at if I could get it refurbished somewhere as it has done circa 70K miles, but came up with nothing (Would welcome feedback if these racks are prone to failing??) so I just decided to give it a quick lick of paint and re-fit to the car so I can make the car mobile again and move it out of the garage, ready for the return of my R11 Turbo:
IMG_6446.jpg

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6449.jpg

Looking a lot better for itself now:
IMG_6455.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
As that large food shop says... every little helps. So decided to give the Bulkhead Heat Shield some attention:
IMG_6412.jpg

I carefully picked off the aluminium heatshield foil that was torn in a couple of places:
IMG_6415.jpg

Then I thoroughly vacummed the the board, and trimmed off the loose pieces of fuzz that were present from previous wear. Next step was onto the masking paper and a thorough shake of a can of:
IMG_6459.jpg

Then a couple of coats were applied:
IMG_6456.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg
IMG_6457.jpg

Ordered a sheet of adhesive backed 30 micron aluminium:
IMG_6460.jpg

Then it was just a cast of cutting a sheet to the approximate size, and carefully applying it to the heatshield:
IMG_6464.jpg

Chuffed with the result, and think it looks better than it did before:
IMG_6412.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Easy day today, just a case of fitting the freshly painted bulkhead matting back into the car:
IMG_6464.jpg

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang on a minute... what's this under the chassis rail in the engine bay...?? ?
IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

OH BAAAAAALLLLS..... ? Had better treat that now before it (no doubt) gets worse in years to come.... you know the score by now. Thankfully my best man came round to give me a hand today.. so I soon had him roped in.. ?
IMG_6470.jpg

IMG_6473.jpg

IMG_6475.jpg

IMG_6479.jpg

IMG_6483.jpg

IMG_6484.jpg

IMG_6496.jpg

Big_Steve_T

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst all that furious painting was going on, I took the chance to change the pollen filter, which I think was well overdue a change...
IMG_6471.jpg

IMG_6472.jpg

And gave the track rods a quick coat of paint for protection:
IMG_6482.jpg

Thankfully my best man is a LOT slimmer than me... so I managed to fold him up into the footwell and get the clutch cable changed as well:
IMG_6480.jpg