ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 172 Cup

172 Cup
Does anyone have experience of these?
I'm particularly interested in ride quality.
Don't want anything that's silly hard or bounces too much.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Spot on for fast road imo. Just fitted a set I bought off here and I'm very happy with them.

Alternatively if your shocks are good the Cooksport springs have had some very good feedback when paired with Cup dampers

172 Cup
Spot on for fast road imo. Just fitted a set I bought off here and I'm very happy with them.

Alternatively if your shocks are good the Cooksport springs have had some very good feedback when paired with Cup dampers

Cheers.
Unsure what to do at the moment. I've heard good reports about the Cooksports but also read a few people say they are slightly bouncy.
By the time I've bought all new shocks and springs I wonder if its worth paying that bit more for the Bilsteins.
How much did you pay for your B14 and where from?

B14's are good for fast road - quite soft and comfortable.

BUT to be honest my car handled just as well on standard cup shocks with eibach springs, so you're paying £900 just to be able to adjust the height up and down :(

B14's are good for fast road - quite soft and comfortable.

BUT to be honest my car handled just as well on standard cup shocks with eibach springs, so you're paying £900 just to be able to adjust the height up and down :(

Sorry I will disagree there. The B14's are much much better then standard shocks and sportlines.

You'll agree with me also when I say that corner weighting makes a MASSIVE diifference ;)

Was that sarcastic? I genuinely don't understand how it can make a difference? Unless you are including taking weight from one corner/axle and spreading it more evenly to the others? Battery is one example I was given by a friend.

Corner weighting means the diagonal spread is a perfect 50/50 balance. Made such a difference on my LCR. As Emma has confirmed when I convinced her to go and get hers done too, she agreed when on track it makes all the difference.

Cup In bits
Was that sarcastic? I genuinely don't understand how it can make a difference? Unless you are including taking weight from one corner/axle and spreading it more evenly to the others? Battery is one example I was given by a friend.

In layman's terms it is done so that all four corners have a fair share of all weight, the result of one corner working harder than the other is bad handling...simples

Corner weighting means the diagonal spread is a perfect 50/50 balance. Made such a difference on my LCR. As Emma has confirmed when I convinced her to go and get hers done too, she agreed when on track it makes all the difference.

Almost pointless though when you alternate between single driver and having a passenger

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I had mine corner weighted and although I never noticed a big difference the car felt very well balanced.

I get what it is. But I can't come to terms with it. Lets say for example on my car. Obviously it's going to be a lot more weighted on the front corners than the rear. But then how do you change that? I can understand moving small things like the battery to the rear. But what else is there to do? Can you actually get a perfect 50/50 spread as you say Dan?

Errrr coilovers? lol

You raise the front and lower the back which shifts the weight distribution to the rear wheels

But no you can't get 50/50 front/rear on a clio - but you can try to get 50/50 left to right and 60/40 front to rear
Again it's kinda pointless though when you throw a 100kg passenger in the car and it all shifts to the left

What about if you put a 50kg passenger in the boot lol!

In all seriousness, is it not possible then without having adjustable coilovers?

nope its not , and some people set up cars to be across the diagonals for balance , and some will go for across the axles , it depends on the cars initial front rear distribution and whats important .

on very light cars success and laptime can be gained by having the front axle balanced to aid braking and stop front wheel lock up (non abs) ..... but on the track its all about consistency and laptimes to know what improves things .

Ok cool, thanks for clearing things up.:cool:

actually i will muddy the waters , you can corner weight a car without coilovers , but it would involve physically moving weight around the car ,and placing lead (or another ballast weight to even things up ) but the manufacturuer will have done this in the design process as a best compromise

hence why we use height adjustable suspension .

Errrr coilovers? lol

You raise the front and lower the back which shifts the weight distribution to the rear wheels

But no you can't get 50/50 front/rear on a clio - but you can try to get 50/50 left to right and 60/40 front to rear
Again it's kinda pointless though when you throw a 100kg passenger in the car and it all shifts to the left

You can get 50/50. Emma.'s is 49.9/50.1 iirc.

That sounds so wrong!!

I have no idea how she's got 50/50 without a cage in the back - I can nearly bench press the back of my car when the alloys are off lol

Dan - think you've been drinking a bit heavy ;)

Emmas results ->

7188770514_e6294e1637_b.jpg

702kg front, 379kg rear - so a 65/35 split

Pretty much what I expected from a Clio

Ohhhhhh sorry somewhere in the conversation it had switched to front:back

Yes it's a good diagonal split
I suspect mine would be fairly close with battery in rear passenger side and cage over rear wheels etc..

lucky u messaged me when you did as they were all set to go on my cup, made me want to keep them even more when cleaning them and seeing how well they came up