ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bitcoins (and other crypto currencies)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I'd like to invest in bitcoins, but a) I'd probably forget about it until the bottom fell out of it and I'd be left with nothing b) Nobody takes paypal c) People will laugh at me in 5 years for only getting 2 pizzas with 0.02BTC.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im all new to this bit coin stuff but a guy at my work is rather clued up on it and we are throwing around £1200 between 3 of us into the pot to get some coins.
We are going to pay a company to mine them at GH/s or TH/s (means nothing to me)

He has a few different coins at the moment and 0.7 of a Bit Coin so I'm just throwing the cash his way and hoping for the best, Out of the £400 i put in i would be more than happy to get anything from £750 back upwards.

Polo + Micra
Im all new to this bit coin stuff but a guy at my work is rather clued up on it and we are throwing around £1200 between 3 of us into the pot to get some coins.
We are going to pay a company to mine them at GH/s or TH/s (means nothing to me)

He has a few different coins at the moment and 0.7 of a Bit Coin so I'm just throwing the cash his way and hoping for the best, Out of the £400 i put in i would be more than happy to get anything from £750 back upwards.

i wouldn't bother with paying someone to mine for you unless you get it real cheap and above 100Gh/s

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I believe we are going TH/s (Terrahash?)

None the less he has sent me loads of links to read up on and the company they we are going to be using and it sounds like a decent deal to me.

Polo + Micra
but the problem is no guarantee you will earn back what you have shelled out

yeah Th/s is a minimum i'd be more inclined to buy the hardware to do it yourself

Cup In bits
This is crazy, a currency that has no substance to begin with but is being inflated and traded.

I have read 9 pages and still nobody has said who is the governing body as such handing out the coins initially and nobody has said how or who the algorithms worked out benefit anyone?

Its all very interesting though and I would be tempted to invest my self from the year on year increases that have been seen, even a small amount of coins is worthwhile risk in comparison to stocks and shares thinking.

The only thing that would bother me is can I unload the coins in a matter of minutes like I can shares and will there always be buyers for them in times of peak?

Last edited:

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Thanks Thomas, I had a look at that website earlier.

Reading through various websites they suggest buying BTC and then trading to LTC?

I'm a little confused though on what to do once you have them, with virtual wallets and the like?

Thanks Thomas, I had a look at that website earlier.

Reading through various websites they suggest buying BTC and then trading to LTC?

I'm a little confused though on what to do once you have them, with virtual wallets and the like?

No worries mate. The rate might be better to do it that way, but I'm not sure. I've been looking more into the mining side of things, than the trading side!

You can send/receive money with your virtual wallet :)

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Thanks! Any suggestions on virtual wallets? Am I right in saying that they only store details of the coins and not the actual rights?

I've been reading horror stories of people storing money and then losing it all!

Thanks! Any suggestions on virtual wallets? Am I right in saying that they only store details of the coins and not the actual rights?

I've been reading horror stories of people storing money and then losing it all!

Are you a mac or a windows users? There has been/is a bug currently on os x causing users to lose BTC and LTC. If you lose the virtual wallet you lose what's in it! Litecoin virtual wallet is here https://litecoin.org/

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is crazy, a currency that has no substance to begin with but is being inflated and traded.

For it to work it has to inflated a lot further yet, as there is such a limited number of coins available, IF (and feck me that is a really big IF) its going to be genuinely successfull as an online international currency it needs to be up at the hundreds of thousands per coin region at least.

I have read 9 pages and still nobody has said who is the governing body as such handing out the coins initially
There is no governing body, its a peer to peer network.

and nobody has said how or who the algorithms worked out benefit anyone?
The currency can be sent without fees in minutes to anyone around the world, which to seem people is believed to be a benefit so they want to buy them wish pushes the price up.

Its all very interesting though and I would be tempted to invest my self from the year on year increases that have been seen, even a small amount of coins is worthwhile risk in comparison to stocks and shares thinking.

The only thing that would bother me is can I unload the coins in a matter of minutes like I can shares and will there always be buyers for them in times of peak?

Now is obviously way to late to get properly rich from a small investment in it, they might go up 100 fold in the next decade, but they arent going to go up 100,000 fold in the next few years like they have in the last few years.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Are you a mac or a windows users? There has been/is a bug currently on os x causing users to lose BTC and LTC. If you lose the virtual wallet you lose what's in it! Litecoin virtual wallet is here https://litecoin.org/

I'm a Mac user - so am I right in saying that they are all stored virtually and you do not own an offline copy?

Sorry for all of the questions but getting information online is a little sketchy!

Just looked at the link you posted earlier for the exchange, all looks well but the deposit options look a little dodgy?!

I'm a Mac user - so am I right in saying that they are all stored virtually and you do not own an offline copy?

Sorry for all of the questions but getting information online is a little sketchy!

Just looked at the link you posted earlier for the exchange, all looks well but the deposit options look a little dodgy?!

Yes all virtual, if you lose your laptop, you lose your money. Unless you back it up that is! http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/27/hard-drive-bitcoin-landfill-site this is what can happen if you don't back up! As you're a mac users, I would be very careful due to the issues I mentioned earlier. http://www.zdnet.com/bitcoin-develo...ual-bounty-to-fix-mystery-mac-bug-7000023632/

What are the deposit options? I've not looked at them yet!

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Capture.JPG

When you go to those websites, you have to deposit through another source - all seems a little dodgy?!

Bitcoins piss me off now. I was buying in at the start of the year for £30 a coin. Bought and sold all the way up and managed to pull out before the bubble popped and made about £1k.

This rise is CRAZY! Especially LTC at $40 per coin now too...... Going to be one massive crash when it comes and it will - too many people are going to lose a lot of money in this thinking it's going to be a silence to print money.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Is it worth a punt buying some litecoins ?

I can't be arsed mining

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bitcoins piss me off now. I was buying in at the start of the year for £30 a coin. Bought and sold all the way up and managed to pull out before the bubble popped and made about £1k.

This rise is CRAZY! Especially LTC at $40 per coin now too...... Going to be one massive crash when it comes and it will - too many people are going to lose a lot of money in this thinking it's going to be a silence to print money.

BTC are definately going to crash in a big way, probably by about 70-80% or something huge like that IMHO, but what I have no idea about is if they are going to go and hit 10K a coin before they do it, or do it any day, or anything in between.

Personally my intention is to largely ignore (well look at but not act on) prices for the next few years, its the long run that interests me not all these shorterm rises and falls.

Cup In bits
BTC are definately going to crash in a big way, probably by about 70-80% or something huge like that IMHO, but what I have no idea about is if they are going to go and hit 10K a coin before they do it, or do it any day, or anything in between.

Personally my intention is to largely ignore (well look at but not act on) prices for the next few years, its the long run that interests me not all these shorterm rises and falls.

Thats my thoughts too, maybe whatever 500-1k gets you and just sit on it for a while. Its not going to break me if it fails but a healthy return could be had.

Have you bought LTC or just stuck to BTC?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats my thoughts too, maybe whatever 500-1k gets you and just sit on it for a while. Its not going to break me if it fails but a healthy return could be had.

Have you bought LTC or just stuck to BTC?

Ive only bought BTC personally, Im of the opinion its the one more likely to succeed, but I have nothing to base that on so dont take my word for it.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Just purchased my 1st Litecoin for £39 - just want to see what it's all about and watch the market for a bit.

Interesting stuff all this.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think the key thing now is going to be what software gets developed for allowing transactions to go smoothly, as at the moment the whole process of buying and selling them is a right pain so if I was going to buy something like a set of suspension tomorrow, I would still want to use paypal for ease.
Of course that exchange shouldnt matter if we are going to put our faith into bitcoins as an actual currency in the long term, but that isnt going to happen in the medium term, so for them to start to take off as a useful currency not a speculative vehicle we will need easier transfer to and from pounds.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Seems to be! Waiting for payment to clear, I'll use the wallet I've got on the Mac once it clears

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I've been playing around with the different currencies available on BTC-E, up a few dollars at the moment - the rates change so frequently!

FTC is a pretty pointless coin, it won't be going anywhere anytime soon though!

It's a good coin to mine as it's often more profitable than LTC, so once you convert to BTC/LTC then you're onto a winner.

I'll be getting back in once the next crash happens.China is already -15% today. Think this could be it..... But this is Bitcoin afterall.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'll be getting back in once the next crash happens.China is already -15% today. Think this could be it..... But this is Bitcoin afterall.

Certainly dropped a lot today, was over 1200 a couple of days ago and down to 950 at the moment (according to preev)

Market correction after the huge and unnatural rise (unnatural in crypto?! Hah, I know.).

We'll see it steady out, then no doubt rise again (I predict higher than we saw it previously).