ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black gold 182 diary.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
next up I attended the Myerscough college open day with a friend of mine in his MX5, this has had a turbo conversion and is now running 303bhp and 314lbs ft of torque, I'm going to do a proper shoot with it soon but there's some better pictures further down this post.

33304211966_486931ee2a_c.jpg
IMG_4222
by Paul Morgan, on Flickr

Another drive with my friends over summer, yes that is the normal position you can find Elise owners in.

32962201940_d82b411999_c.jpg
IMG_0343

I then used my practical car to dispose of all my old MX5 parts, I ended up giving them to a friend to help on his build.

33360814765_70c424d13f_c.jpg
IMG_5967

This is my Renault sport face, I'm sure we have all made it at some point :smile:

32517832894_4c73e24b15_c.jpg
IMG_6530

This was the first of the hit and runs, I'll get pictures of the second when I next wash the car, it involves the wing and door as well though which really sucks! This was done when I popped to get my hair cut, this makes it the second time popping to get my hair cut has caused a damaged car, the first time my wheel fell off, whoops!

33205461572_067135fdca_c.jpg
IMG_6088

Then my friend took a cool shot with the Eiffel towers smaller cousin:

33320258696_07185fb7aa_c.jpg

Me and a bunch of local friends have also started to get together for meals and runs out so here's a few from the last one:

32979669870_02fe4c5ab3_c.jpg
IMG_8932

33321711366_b3c79d8a56_c.jpg
IMG_8936

33234536711_838e697e43_c.jpg
IMG_8928

33362199735_da30c899e3_c.jpg
IMG_8914

Then this happened, got your number!

33363019505_85e7576762_c.jpg
IMG_6383

Then this:

33207717992_da52457b2c_c.jpg
IMG_7282

I made the fatal error of going over 120k down a road that had nowhere safe to pull in, I managed a whole mile before finding somewhere, it's the thought that counts though!

And that brings me up to date, we can all breathe a sigh of relief and I can give my poor fingers a rest.

The car is currently sat on 122k and shows no sign of breaking any time soon.

I have 2 fresh wings in the garage to go on, I'm currently on the lookout for a front bumper and the door I'll decide what to do about soon.

I'm currently in talks with Bloke to get my aux belt done as that is due, I have a set of powerflex steering bushes to go on as well.

The current spec is:

Scorpion RS192 with unsilenced centre section
Eibach sport lines
Eibach camber bolts
Brembo HC disks, Mintext M1144 pads, standards in the rear.
I'll be doing a Fatty induction kit when I service it shortly.

So still nothing silly but boy is it fun! The last 3 and a half years it hasn't let me down, long may it continue!

Thanks to anyone who has made it this far!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent write up of your clio life so far Paul. Hit n run damage aside the car is lovely.
Just one bad point from your story. It appears you went to Blyton on the wrong clio day!

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Excellent write up of your clio life so far Paul. Hit n run damage aside the car is lovely.
Just one bad point from your story. It appears you went to Blyton on the wrong clio day!

Thanks a lot, I quite enjoyed writing it, although I have since noticed silly little errors, whoops!

Rookie mistake! Should have been 2015, must have hit 88mph on the way there.

As above, great updates once again! Really interesting to read the Nurburgring adventures etc, can see why you bought that photo of the Clio at the show, I don't always buy them either but that's a great shot with the car at a slight angle. Cheesy grins allowed!

Oh and the red MX5 looked super cool by the time you'd finished with it too! :cool:

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
As above, great updates once again! Really interesting to read the Nurburgring adventures etc, can see why you bought that photo of the Clio at the show, I don't always buy them either but that's a great shot with the car at a slight angle. Cheesy grins allowed!

Oh and the red MX5 looked super cool by the time you'd finished with it too! :cool:

Thank you for the kind words! I love that photo, it's almost time for this years show so I'll see if we can better it this time :)

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Nice sunny day today so I did what 99 percent of the forum probably did and washed the car.

I then washed another car, my friends S13 to be exact and we went for some pics:

33665388385_93c3fbc35e_c.jpg
IMG_8979

33624485016_aa3481a8e2_c.jpg
IMG_8978

33624486016_18d3e1293a_c.jpg
IMG_8977

33535783181_beeec9638a_c.jpg
IMG_8982

33281366160_aa274aa25d_c.jpg
IMG_8984

32822310574_e384130265_c.jpg
IMG_8955

Another friend then joined us in his nice clean car for some pics too:

33508582032_6cbc4b9db1_c.jpg
IMG_8974

There's always one.

The full album is available HERE

Oh I also went for a run out in the MX5 in the post at the top of the page, now it is running right it is 303bhp and 313lbs ft of torque.

It is in a word, brutal and sounds incredible!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah all good thanks. Think about swapping it every other week but yet to come across something that would make me sell up.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Update time again, sadly not a good one (apart from the end).

My run of luck has continued with the car, my dad moved my car onto the road to get his out, literally 2 minutes later my neighbour reversed out and straight into the side of it, yup another panel with a dent in it:

33303575463_a5a68f11bd_c.jpg
Untitled

34074203926_06317e64bb_c.jpg
Untitled

I managed to pop most of it out, I'm now left with a dent about a quarter of the size, the window runners or something inside has bent so the window won't come down more than half way, anyway I found a pair of Black Gold doors on ebay, the big cars were all away for the weekend so I rented a van and we headed down to macclesfied for them, a nice easy fix...so I thought.

34257508965_634ef8e5ce_c.jpg
Untitled

The T5 was the comfiest thing I have driven for years, I can really see the appeal towards them now, I would love one to deck out with a bed and tv etc, in fact I actually looked ebay as soon as we got back haha.

The girlfriend and pooch enjoying being van passengers for the day:

34100448892_e053408b6c_c.jpg
Untitled

33447594153_8d046b57c0_c.jpg
Untitled

Anyway I was heading to a company called cheshire performance breakers, when I spoke on the phone to the guy he said he would be around for 10am, we got there around half 10 and no sign of him, tried phoning, followed by another bunch of calls, no answer whats so ever, it was on a farm so we hung around until half 12 playing fetch with the pooch and looking at the shetland ponies before giving up and heading home as I only had the van until 4.

We got about 45 minutes up the road when he phoned back with the excuse that he had just had a nightmare of a morning, I wasn't a happy bunny but I decided to turn round and go back and get the doors, when we got their the doors were in worse condition than mine, dents all up the A pillar on one of them (I'm not even sure how you do that, I'm pretty sure king kong doesn't drive a clio). I was now even more peeved off and we now had a mad rush home, got back, filled up the van again and dropped it off at literally 8 minutes to 4!

The doors have since ended on ebay but this is the page:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/cheshireperformancesalvagecps?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I really wasn't happy with the service from them, it was a day and £70 in van hire and fuel charges wasted but at least I know for future experience.

I now have a blue door instead to get sprayed, this one is in really good condition and the guy was great to deal with, at least there are some decent people on ebay :).

33503070184_13686838c8_c.jpg
Untitled

It goes in to be sprayed this week, then I'll get it swapped over along with the wings.

I then treated the car to a service, oil and filter, plugs and the air filter were done and it now feels nice and smooth again.

Of course the dog had to be part of it:

33416140204_33916efd54_c.jpg
Untitled

It wouldn't be an update without a plug shot, plugs not drugs guys!

33447592583_f666438539_c.jpg
Untitled

34217330276_0481cccc5b_c.jpg
Untitled

33447593603_f055e9eb7c_c.jpg
Untitled

And finally the happy story that I alluded to at the start, my friend has left his Elise up with me to get it resprayed, he then had to shoot back down to London before it was actually booked in so unfortunately for me I had to babysit it, what a horrible task.

33447590473_75d7a7ff89_c.jpg
Untitled

34257509345_ae6afb425d_c.jpg
Untitled

I have been out as a passenger in it many times, however what an experience they are from the drivers seat, the brakes took a lot of getting used to, in fact I almost rolled out into a junction the first time I went to use them haha! Also at night you better be religious because you can't rely on the headlight for anything further than 10 foot away but it was incredible.

The next update will probably be after Japfest tomorrow, we have an awesome array on cars in our group, my car will be in the car park and if anyone is heading there come and say hello on the flat out stand in T12, I'll be the tall guy standing around with a camera.

Also the next update will have less selfies I promise.

Chow for now!

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
b*****d about the door issue, both on the happening of it and trying to get it fixed and the journey.

Glad to see it's getting done though mate :smile:

Yeah slight pain! this is the unluckiest car I've had bodywork wise! She's happy paying whatever it takes to fix it luckily, shame I couldn't fix it the easy way though, I was hoping to avoid paint but like you say at least it will be sorted :)

I can't believe that with that seller!! ......... well, I can these days......... but you know what I mean! I'd be fuming. But nice one with the replacement door. Arctic isn't it? *cough* best colour *cough* :grinning:

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I feel like I know your face but I can't be certain. You didn't happen to have a Fiat a long time ago did you?

Crimewatch? haha.

I do quite a lot with the Fiat circles yes, I'm good friends with the bunch that run torque italia that branched off from Fiat forum, Jason, Jai, Jon etc, I haven't owned one personally though despite all the peer pressure :)

I can't believe that with that seller!! ......... well, I can these days......... but you know what I mean! I'd be fuming. But nice one with the replacement door. Arctic isn't it? *cough* best colour *cough* :grinning:

Sadly it wasn't a shock to me either! It does look to be arctic blue yes, although it has a non sport door card on it so it must have been swapped at some point, hopefully it doesn't slow down the car with it not being black gold originally which is obviously the fastest colour :D

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Crimewatch? haha.

I do quite a lot with the Fiat circles yes, I'm good friends with the bunch that run torque italia that branched off from Fiat forum, Jason, Jai, Jon etc, I haven't owned one personally though despite all the peer pressure :smile:

Sadly it wasn't a shock to me either! It does look to be arctic blue yes, although it has a non sport door card on it so it must have been swapped at some point, hopefully it doesn't slow down the car with it not being black gold originally which is obviously the fastest colour :smiley:
That'll be it then yeah. I was quite well known on the Fiat forum back in 2009.for the wrong reasons though haha

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
That'll be it then yeah. I was quite well known on the Fiat forum back in 2009.for the wrong reasons though haha

Rebel! haha, yeah they all branched off because of certain parts of the site/members, not sure on the ins and outs but we have a good bunch out of it so no complaints, they are the lot that I do the ring trips with :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Rebel! haha, yeah they all branched off because of certain parts of the site/members, not sure on the ins and outs but we have a good bunch out of it so no complaints, they are the lot that I do the ring trips with :smile:
Is Adam still a part of it? I can't remember his last name but had a gf who came along to the meets too.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Is Adam still a part of it? I can't remember his last name but had a gf who came along to the meets too.

Cottenham? with Jenna? if so he's part of our whatsapp chat and he went on the last ring trip I missed, I haven't met him in person yet but speak to him most days.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I would post another quick update.

First off I took the weight saving a step too far:

36269282441_e242f0875c_c.jpg
Untitled

Yes a fresh door is finally on, I could do with swapping the check strap over as this one is a little stiff but other than that happy that's over with.

I then went out for tea and came out of the restaurant to find this, I have seen the car about previously and was gutted I couldn't get a pic of it, fate hey!

36238013802_9a54b94828_c.jpg
Untitled

Next up I started to swap the wings over for two freshly sprayed ones I acquired almost 18 months ago (I think):

36009498190_78ecd6dbe3_c.jpg
Untitled

36361294306_bd6418cf1b_c.jpg
Untitled

35570781304_d3fe38bcff_c.jpg
Untitled

A rounded torx bit on the front of the drivers side skirt stopped me doing the drivers side one so I still have that to sort out at some point.

I then tried out the Auto Allure rapid coat and took 2 videos to show it in action (yes the second video does feature some creepy voice over, not sure what's gone on there!):

36695029805_76e2e40690_c.jpg
Untitled

36299905900_3d74d24bf5_c.jpg
Untitled

Then another meal with my bunch of car friends, some interesting stuff out to play as usual:

37428166385_4652c38ceb_c.jpg
Untitled

I have also been redecorating my friends house with him, he has quite a collection of minis at his at present, all owned by various friends of mine, there's another 2 as well usually:

36238017412_789e1ec6e9_c.jpg
Untitled

36361293006_a73b5d522d_c.jpg
Untitled

The car over the last few months has been soaking up my new commute, it's only 20 miles each way through country lanes but the farmers aren't the tidiest shall we say so unfortunatley it spends most of the time looking like this:

37256518142_1554d8e4bd_c.jpg
Untitled

36575976074_97c15bd115_c.jpg
Untitled

36361292066_44f8217b26_c.jpg
Untitled

However what a great laugh I have heading there and back, especially if I leave at 6sish when the roads are empty, it still averages circa 37mpg (on the computer) too!

Next up was MOT time, I was pretty confident considering the car hasn't had a single advisory since I have owned it:

37458637635_a49cb95624_c.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 20.47.42

Right up until the point the handbrake cable for the passenger rear snapped on the brake tester, typical! The drivers rear brake pipe was also badly corroded:

37315921801_57735c04fc_c.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 20.47.51

New handbrake cables and rear brake pipe ordered up through my friends staff account (a well spent pint!) along with 2 new V12's as my front pair were getting a bit past it on the inner edges:

37286184741_2685c8068a_c.jpg
Untitled

And good to go, need to check the rear pads, I'm sure it wasn't long ago I did the full rear setup but will pop some in, not bad for just under 127k :smile:

37458637855_6684e711da_c.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 20.47.57 by Paul Morgan, on Flickr

And that brings me up to date again, just simple things next, exhaust mount and then steering rack bushes.

Thanks as usual :smile:

Hate to resurrect such an old post but this feels fitting as i bought this car in April this year for £1000 and it hasn't missed a beat, with around 145k on the clock!

Since i have had it it has had a full service, new Grams springs, new silicon hoses, new Ramair filter (soon to get ducting because heat soak) new Brembo discs and pads and some mostly new 15" OZ Racing rims with AD08 tires.

Plans for the future are braided brake lines, race steering wheel (unfortunately the old one is falling apart) with Volantech buttons for horn and cruise control.

Been looking at an engine rebuild if i can find somewhere to work and if i can POSSIBLY do a turbo conversion (goodbye money!), with that being said im trying my best not to molest it too much, i hope im right in saying that it looks "tasteful" currently! 😁

Before the work was carried out:
IMG_20200718_205941.jpg

After:
IMG_20200801_175333.jpg

IMG_20200801_191622_868.jpg

I will try and update this thread when i get to doing more stuff to it 💙👍🏻

Little update, this year has been slow!

Really chuffed with the MOT recently as it only came back with one failure which was the bottom suspension ball joint, had both replaced as I hate not doing stuff in pairs!

In preparation for a track day in Feb I also had the brake fluid changed out for some 5.1, full silicon hose kit fitted and a poly bush kit for the from anti-roll bar (this car is now on rails going around corners)

Unfortunally had to send it back in due to getting some lights come up on the dash (ABS,TC,SERV), at first they said it was a faulty relay but still came up after the fix, on closer inspection it turns out the ABS sensor was knackered so that is being changed out this week.

<->Things planned for the future<->

Removal of rear seats because god knows what happened to them, I assume the heat has gotten to them as they have gone flat and rock hard.

Find myself a donor passenger light so I can change it out for track days once I modify it to be an induction inlet.

Full poly bush kit (doing this in bits just so my partner doesn't hate me :LOL:)

New clutch as i'm 90% sure its pretty close to failing, may just let it fail on the track day, i want my money's worth haha

Long, LONG term I would love to Turbo/Supercharge it if I decide to keep it, I want to try and keep it complete as possible so stripping it for weight is out of the question, going for a "Fast Road/Road Tripping/odd track day car" i.e just looking after it :p

Will update when I can, probably after the track day!

photo_2020-11-25_20-09-55.jpg