ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black not black enough!

Cleaned my daughters 1.2 16v pearl black in the following way. Wash, clay bar, wash, Autoglym paint renovator, Autoglym Super Resin Polish, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. It's lovely and shiny, but somehow not as black as we hoped. We saw plenty of Clios at FCS that looked SO much more black. What are we doing wrong? How can we lose the grey?
Thanks for any replies

Not a 320d
My previous car was Pearl Black 1.2. I also thought it was never quite "black enough" ha.

I started with SRP and EGP on the day I got it (dealer had machine polished it - wasnt too bad, little hazing), and then months later I decided to machine polish it myself. Tried Dodo Purple haze, sealants like Fk1000p, Colly 476s, Jetseal 109......

Best result I ever got was a machine polish with Menz. Final Finish and Zymol Carbon wax. Was very wet looking after that and as black as it ever got.

But it was never quite good enough. Ill probably never buy black again, simply because no matter what I do to a black car, itll never be black enough, always looks dirty and it shows up the most minor of imperfections.

Not a 320d
Think a good machine polish to remove dead clear coat topped with a high carnuba content wax will do the trick tbh!

Zymol Carbon, Vics red......

I don't have a machine polisher, which doesn't help! I've heard the blackhole is good, can you buy it in Halfrauds etc?
Cliotoby, I haven't had a black car for years myself (1275GT in 1980 & two XR3is between 1986 & 1996) but just bought one so will have that to do as well Ha!

Not a 320d
No, cleanyourcar.co.uk

Poorboys Blackhole. Its a glaze - bit like SRP but non abrasive, will also give a wetter look. Dont expect miracles though. Top it with a wax. AutoGlym HD wax maybe as you can get that at halfrauds.

e92 330i
I believe there was a test for pb blackhole and prima amigo on a black car, and the amigo was ever do slightly better at looking darker. Maybe worth a try?

As mentioned seal it with a good wax like AD HD, im currently using chemical guys petes 53 on my PB and i prefer it to the hd wax (slightly cheaper too)

ITB BG 182
I own a BG car and I have used many products leading from the Autoglym range to fk100p, zymol carbon and many many others but never been truly satisifed with how black it looks.

Till recently when I machined my own car and then added Carpro Cquartz to it, now it looks alot more darker, then to top it off ReLoad was added which made it darker still.

Im being told Cquartz last between 12 and 24 months while the reload is good for 2 months at a time, all I can say is I am finally happy to say it now looks like the black b**ch ive wanted!!

Honda & VW
I love working with Black cars, so so rewarding.
Infact i had a little run of doing black cars at one point, it went:
Mk4 Golf R32
Audi A3 S-Line
EP3 Civic Type-R
Audi A4 Saloon
Half a new shape Audi S3 (owner had a scratch down the one side and attempted to sort it with T-C*nt and what i can only imagine was a scouring pad).

If i'm honest i don't fully recall what products i opted for as each was slightly different however as mentioned above something like Blackhole does work a charm especially when used in conjunction with a machine polisher. Perhaps the best bet would be to possibly get someone to Correct the paint for you then you can continue to keep it mint. Otherwise invest in a DA machine and have a go yourself, however if you're not planning on making a habit of using a machine then your money is certainly best spent on paying someone who knows what they're doing.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Have a look at some Auto Finesse Tripple reviews on here and the net. Simple product that might help you out follow with something like AF Tough Coat or many other wax/Sealants.

Black Sheep
My car was also greyish. Now its black after I machine polished. Got rid of all the years of sponge washing.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Have a look at some Auto Finesse Tripple reviews on here and the net. Simple product that might help you out follow with something like AF Tough Coat or many other wax/Sealants.

Exactly what I used on my old mans car:

8eny7ahy.jpg

Excuse the naff photo but you get the idea.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hence my recommendation actually. Used it on most colours except Black!

From reading the replies, it seems most people reckon that a machine polish is what is needed. Now bear in mind that until recently I used a yellow sponge, washing up liquid & a chamois, I just wondered if I could use my DeWalt drill/driver with a polishing pad? I have seen Gally recommend a proper polisher (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?657283-The-EP801-is-finally-here) but I (well my wife really I could easily!) can't justify buying this at the moment as I have two daughters at uni now & it doesn't come cheap. What do you think?
By the way thanks for all the advice from everybody so far

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
where are you located? Sure someone on here would lend a hand. I would if you were near by

I take it that using the drill/driver isn't a good idea!
Thanks so much for the offer John182rs, I really do appreciate it, but most likely not viable. I am in Bexhill on Sea (between Hastings & Eastbourne on the Sussex coast) and my daughter with the black 1.2 16v is at uni in Norwich at the moment. Also I would like to improve my car as well (but it's not a Clio!)
Maybe my best bet is to work on persuading my wife that a machine polisher would be a great idea! Shame I've already got her Mk 1 capsicum really shiny!

Renault Sport 172
Cleaned my daughters 1.2 16v pearl black in the following way. Wash, clay bar, wash, Autoglym paint renovator, Autoglym Super Resin Polish, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. It's lovely and shiny, but somehow not as black as we hoped. We saw plenty of Clios at FCS that looked SO much more black. What are we doing wrong? How can we lose the grey?
Thanks for any replies

My mates RR Sport
I know it aint no clio but its black at least. Was suposed to be until the white line man didnt put out the wet paint signs........ clayed(3m),Then used a DA polisher to polish(poorboys pro polish), glazed(poorboys black hole) and then sealed/waxed it(poorboys EX sealer with canubra)......(sound like a sales man for Poorboys dont I. Imo they are very good products for the price and work wonders on black cars)Also used poorboys QD to finish her off.
IMAG0078.jpgIMAG0093.jpgIMAG0085.jpg

Having read through this again and a load of other detailing threads, I have got some AF Tripple to do my daughters Clio when she's back from uni at Christmas. I have a question though. I understand that the Tripple has a wax/sealant in it, but should I use a sealant over the top? I have AG Extra Gloss Protection, is that compatable?
Thanks for the advice so far.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
it wont last all that long on its own, and probably a little less due to the small amount of wax within it. use a normal wax ie not a solvent based wax hybrid. or a non fussy sealant like toughcoat, werkstatt

tripple leaves an awesome finish

Thanks for the quick reply, Yellow Dave, Toughcoat is also Auto Finesse, is that right? If so it makes sense. What is Werkstatt? I thought it was something to do with the bauhaus!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
tripple and tough coat both by auto finesse, and an awesome combo, looks great, so easy to use you cant go wrong. even if you over apply its still easy to remove and leave a slick finish.

werkstat jett is another spray sealant thats not fussy, very easy to use and looks good, similar durability. they have a decent range of cleansers, spray sealant and spray top up. have a look on polisbed bliss

I tried the Tripple today on my car, just as you see on tests in detailing world, I taped off the wing in two parts & I was amazed how you could see the difference between the polished side & the unpolished (photo came out crap though!) Anyway, I can't wait for my daughter to come home so we can try it on her Clio.
Thanks again to everyone who recomended it.