ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black polystyrene under rear bumper!

ClioSport 182
I was taking a gander underneath my 182 at the rear, and noticed that inbetween the rear bumper and the exhaust are two lumps of black polystyrene about 40 cm long. Of all the things to find!

Anyways, my question is: these lumps of polystyrene are "secured" with metal clasps on plastics mounts, however, the polystyrene lumps are a little loose. Some of the plastic mounts are missing the clasps ... how do I go about putting the clasps on? and also tightening the existing ones?

I tried pushing the clasps further down the mount but they buggers woudn't budge!

Thanks for any help!

KnightAzul

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
Its just impact padding for if the rear bumper gets hit. Of course it won't be fastened properly cos its renault. I've haven't seen how they are mounted so can't offer any advice on that, I'd be inclined to just leave them as they are!

ClioSport 182
My intention is to secure it the way that it should be ...
It would seem, from your response, that if I breath near it, the whole car will fall apart!!

KnightAzul

Lionel Richie
if it ain't broke, don't fix it! or if it is broke, leave it alone, it'll only become worse

i've never seen one mounted so it doesn't move

ClioSport 182
I take your point.

However, I have been tracking down a rattling kind of sound for some time and I reckon it might be coming from the polystyrene. The rattling is more like a popcorn cracking sound and its very annoying! Sometimes its worse going round roundabouts.

It is definitely coming from that area. I.e. below the boot lock catch and "inside" the bumper. It's really a process of elimination at the moment ...

KnightAzul