ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bleeding Brakes

Mk1 Maxim Sport
How easy is it to bleed the brakes on a mk1??

Well for a start what exactly does bleeding the brakes involve?? And is it just normal brake fluid that you fill them back up with?

Cheers all

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
most cars take dot4, its not hard to do but im sure a bleed nipple will break somewhere along the line..

1st thing, jack the car up and remove the wheels, but make sure the rears got axle stands under the rear beem or the bias valve closes.

2nd get something to suck all the brake fluid you can out the fluid pot, then top up with fresh dot 4.. get a mate to ready himself in the car with the brake pedal.

3rd get a small clear hose thats fed into a bottle with a drop of fluid in the bottom, fit to brake nipple, crack off the nipple, get mate to pump pedal but NOT to the floor.. this can get the master cylinder stuck causing more problems. watch as the fluid come out, wait till it runs a clear gold and bubble free, and when you want to lock off the nipple get your mate to press the pedal down. dont lock the nipple on the upward movement, only the down. do each other nipple the same making sure to top up the fluid pot.. i go round each nipple twice..

check level and pedal feel, should be solid, maybe run the engine to get the servo to kick in.. job done:)

you can get an eazy-bleed for £20 that fits to the brake fluid pot, it tops it up and forces the fluid through the lines while you crack the nipples off.. its meant to make it a 1 man job but i still find it takes 2 people, just saves messing with pedal pumping..

if i were you i wouldnt try it, its not hard but im yet to crack off a rear caliper nipple on a clio that doesnt break.. also if you start going wrong your car is not road fit and you'll need to call someone out..

you dont f**k with brakes, you could kill someone..

get someone who knows what there doing to come teach you :)

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Cheers mate thats the answer i was after. Not gona attempt it then. got a few mates in the business so will ask one of them to sort it for me. How much am i looking at for the job to be done and how much does one of these silly sounding nipples cost??

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Bleed nipples cost a few pence . As to the comment on always braking bleed nipples from dangerous dave , if that's the case , then you've tightenend them up too much in the first place .

Chriscliomk1 , get yourself a haynes manual . It's easy , just make sure you keep topping up the brake fluid reservoir every couple of pumps of the pedal .

Lol its easy peasy just soak the nipples in a little lube before hand and use the oval side of the spanner youl be unlikely to snap them :)

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Iv got a haynes manual so ill av a look in ther an see how easy it looks, if the nipples arent that expensive then i may aswel just have a go myself.

Iv got a haynes manual so ill av a look in ther an see how easy it looks, if the nipples arent that expensive then i may aswel just have a go myself.

Umm this may be different on the older ones but I was sure on the 1*2s if you snap the bleed screw your gunna need a new caliper

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Why would the 1*2's be any different ? If they do snap ,use a drill bit and stud extractor to get it out . You only need to nip them up , not swing on them . Like i said before , if you overtighten them you risk snapping the top off .Just use your common sense when tightening .