ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 1-series M Coupe First Drive by Chris Harris

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Seams to tick all the right boxes then.

Anyone else think harris just hits the spot sometimes when talking cars.

He's excellent. He speaks the language of a petrol head and has lots of charisma. Interesting and entertaining. Always enjoy his vids. Makes Top Gear look like Rainbow.

The car sounds excellent too!

f**k knows what they did to it to make it a decent drive. The 1 series I've driven in the past all felt like they had a cheap rear beam suspension set up held on with sticky tape. Abysmal drive.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL. Exactly.

I hate how people who just watch Top Gear now consider themselves petrolheads.

Torques? F*ck off!

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Top Gear badly need a presenter who actually knows how to drive to give proper reviews of performance cars. Having Clarkson attempting to burn an entire set of tires in a car review really isn't what most potential buyers want to see. I wonder if this guy has been approached by TG, I think he would be ideal for it, but as mentioned, probably not fit in with the current set up.

Oh and this car is going to be effing awesome. :)

Top Gear fans, please Ctrl+C this (Cmd+C if you're a high roller, which you won't be)

Yeah but TG is all about the comedy and entertainment. If I wanted car reviews I'd watch 5th Gear, but that's just boring. I love TG. Hammond's hair is dreamy, and I love those cool necklaces he wears. Also pmsl at Captain Slow, and how they get him to drive fast cars. Hehehehe so clever. JC is M.E.N.T.A.L. lol f**k cars, TG forever. POWARRRRRRRRR lol.

Last edited:
  White clique
Looks very nice!

The whole run flat / non run flat tyre thing is an over hyped issue TBH, the feel is noticable but on non run flats it feels like you are in a rowing boat, anyone who cannot cope with run flats is a wimp, they are actually more predictable than the non run flats in my opinion (based upon having just taken off my run flats 200 miles ago and wishing i hadnt bothered).

Its the dephaser pully of the BMW world - people just dropping it in conversation to sound knowledgable.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Looks very nice!

The whole run flat / non run flat tyre thing is an over hyped issue TBH, the feel is noticable but on non run flats it feels like you are in a rowing boat, anyone who cannot cope with run flats is a wimp, they are actually more predictable than the non run flats in my opinion (based upon having just taken off my run flats 200 miles ago and wishing i hadnt bothered).

Its the dephaser pully of the BMW world - people just dropping it in conversation to sound knowledgable.

So the ridiculously stiff sidewalls run-flats need aren't an issue, you say?

The Internet > M Division.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Because he doesn't keep shouting "EPIC" and "POWAAAAAAAR" so that 'car fans' with single digit IQs can laugh at how MENTAL he is?

Because he can't deliver an interesting sentence at all. He made the car sound dull. He shows no emotion. He's a writer, not a presenter.

Evo should have culled him yonks ago.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
i think chris harris is f**king brilliant i dont need to be entertained like top gear i want a honest review of the car hes in, i can watch a review of a car i have no interest in when hes doing it purely for a honest knowledgeable opinioni feel like im learning watching him whereas other presenters i feel like dieing.

White clique
How come BMW don't use them on the M cars then?

No idea, maybe for the same reason they used even heavier cast iron engine blocks weighing 80kg more in M cars and the rest had lightweight aluminium.

So the ridiculously stiff sidewalls run-flats need aren't an issue, you say?

The Internet > M Division.

They are not an issue in themselves no. They are actually very useful. The problem is how people like the car to feel when driving it, for example F1 drivers as you'll know, like to have different set ups according to their driving style and perference to get the most out of their car and to drive it in a way they feel confident with. I dont see how the run flats give any less confidence, they just require a different style of driving.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
chris harris is all about when he was writing for autocar. was awesome every week.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Good vid. I like his vids. Just the right side of geek. He is a tiny fella, he came into my uncles practice in Banbury.

By christ Alan you really do talk some s**t. A guy that confesses to taking things easy, and enjoying the easy life that a auto gives? Now dishing out info on run flats? So we'll just discard ride quality as a factor in handling? We'll forget that they aren't just stiff, they are way beyond any normal road tyre in that respect? Or that they behave in a completely different way to normal tyres when subjected to a poor road surface? Not forgetting the added unsprung weight (rotational weight, at the most extreme rotational point)?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just watched it again, sounds like they've nailed it from his 1st impressions. Completely agree with him re. Steering wheels, the 200's is too thick/chunky for me.

White clique
Good vid. I like his vids. Just the right side of geek. He is a tiny fella, he came into my uncles practice in Banbury.

By christ Alan you really do talk some s**t. A guy that confesses to taking things easy, and enjoying the easy life that a auto gives? Now dishing out info on run flats? So we'll just discard ride quality as a factor in handling? We'll forget that they aren't just stiff, they are way beyond any normal road tyre in that respect? Or that they behave in a completely different way to normal tyres when subjected to a poor road surface? Not forgetting the added unsprung weight (rotational weight, at the most extreme rotational point)?

Yes Rolf, 3 bags full Rolf.

Why is taking things easy a confession? I had my chav days of driving like a knob in my Uno turbo in 1995. And whats wrong with auto - i think you'll find Ferarri ship their cars with paddles as standard now and its the manual that is optional ;)

The stiff crashy handling that you allude to on the run flats is exactly the same that some "journalists" said about the Trophy handling, and the 197.. and the 200. I say "some", as its a matter of how you like your car to ride. I actually like a firm ride, i've manned up and dont get scared that the bumps might hurt me. If you had driven my car both before and after the run flats were swapped, you'd feel that there is only a marginal difference.
But then again, if M sport think the car performs better on non run flats, then thats wonderful!

And aside from all that, you've missed a massive point which i'll leave you to realise, as you are the expert (i base this on the fact that you once said you drive your car on the "LIMIT" at least 65% of the time on the road - dont make me dig that quote out!)

I see what you're saying Alan, but TBF it is pretty much accepted fact that run-flat tyres compromise the suspension. You may not feel it, and I'm not saying I would, but other people clearly do, or it would never have become a talking point in the motoring world.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
When our old 120 was in for a service, we had a courtesy 118 with optional wheels and run flats. Same diameter, just different tyres.

They made the ride as crashy as my 182. No exaggeration. And that's on Driveway Queen coilovers.

Hard Parker!

When I worked at BMW I was in and out of different models of both BMW and mini. I couldn't stand the drive on cars fitted with the run flats. That and any cab specced with 18s and m suspension packs were my two pet hates, I'd sooner drive a VW transporter than the latter.