ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 130i

Not usually a fan of these but yours looks really good. Silver and 3 doors, you can't go wrong. Although a guy on ph had one with xenons. When one of the bulbs went it cost £1000 to set right, so you may have dodged a bullet there.

Thanks. They really are a car that no of doors & wheel choice make such a huge difference.

I'd happily take the risk on the lights tbh :)

Beautiful car!

Thanks mate!

I decided to opt for Zimmerman drilled & grooved discs as, although they are 1kg heavier, the price for two was ~£215 as oppose to £308 for BMW non-drilled/grooved. When they turned up though one had a crack in, which actually turned out to be a bonus as shortly after ordering I regretted going for the cheaper option. I have since found and ordered BMW drilled and grooved discs. Whilst I'm aware drilled discs are likely noisier, and more liable to cracking under heavy workload, they do look a lot sexier!

So, the next decision is what colour to refurb the calipers. Leading the way is BMW Performance yellow, though I am tempted to go for a slightly lighter blue. Opinions greatly received!

20160701_193548_zpsldqfid1i.jpg

20160628_171053_zpspdd3jstp.jpg

Just washed it, that's all.

I've not done anything to it since I uprated the brakes. Actually, that's a lie, I bought some Burger Tuning 10mm spacers from the US, then proceeded to snap the collar when I tightened them - the lip was roughly 1mm too narrow. So I plan to get a bit of camber when i change the suspension and then refit the 12mm I have (they were causing a bit of scrubbing).

Still enjoying it though!

20161009_174823_zpsqd8da0mb.jpg

20161009_174934_zpsryhreklk.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Did you paint that yourself? (well done if so).

The Brembo sticker looks really out of place though. It's not central and the letters look too big.

Did you paint that yourself? (well done if so).

The Brembo sticker looks really out of place though. It's not central and the letters look too big.

No, local place did it for me. Agree with the Brembo sticker. With hindsight I maybe should have stuck with a BMW logo of sorts (not ///M). It's looks ok though on car and behind the alloys.

Lovely car. What on earth made you go for gold on the calipers?
For two reasons really. They're Phoenix Yellow, so the same colour as BMW Performance brakes. And whilst the M135i rear brakes aren't a direct fit for the 130i, the BMWP ones are. So if a rear set of BMWP came up for sale I wouldn't have to change the colour of either front or rear. Plus a saw a few examples on silver cars and I really liked them!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
For two reasons really. They're Phoenix Yellow, so the same colour as BMW Performance brakes. And whilst the M135i rear brakes aren't a direct fit for the 130i, the BMWP ones are. So if a rear set of BMWP came up for sale I wouldn't have to change the colour of either front or rear. Plus a saw a few examples on silver cars and I really liked them!
I can't argue with that. Not my prefrence but then it's not my car! Lol

Bought some corner splitters from EBay.de. Fully carbon, and appear to be a really quality product. Pics aren't great as it was going dark. I'm really happy with them, they're quite discreet but definitely add a bit more menace to the cars looks.

Fitting was piece of cake, and the fitment is really good... there's a slight gap (~1mm) at the where they meet the wheel arch but it's really not noticeable unless you get low and up close.

20161229_161232_zpsdj8wweeo.jpg

Before
20170102_162935_zpsjfiso8qy.jpg

After
20170102_171209_zpssqt5yrf1.jpg

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Lovely looking motor.

I bought a 120d m-sport a few months back and have loved it the whole time. The only thing i was gutted about with mine is that it doesnt have the xenons.

There is a guy on babybmw that makes the halo ones but ive always fancied the OE ones.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
I've never driven this model 1 series but I've always liked the tough look they have.

Didn't realise until recently how much power these cars have in the range,130,135 etc I was shocked.

I now take more notice when you see a 1er come popping and banging up behind you.

We took delivery of our M140i in September,I didn't honestly think it would be as quick as it is.I like the subtlety,they could be a 118d,which I'd gladly have too.

Keep the updates coming on your car,it's a cracker

Jon

I've never driven this model 1 series but I've always liked the tough look they have.

Didn't realise until recently how much power these cars have in the range,130,135 etc I was shocked.

I now take more notice when you see a 1er come popping and banging up behind you.

We took delivery of our M140i in September,I didn't honestly think it would be as quick as it is.I like the subtlety,they could be a 118d,which I'd gladly have too.

Keep the updates coming on your car,it's a cracker

Jon

Cheers Jon! Yeah, both models pretty pokey as standard, though the 135i is a different beast when tinkered with.

I pick up some Bilstein B12 dampers/Eibach Pro springs next week, which will soon be fitted alongside powerflex rear subframe inserts. That may be it then for modifications. Maybe.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Genuinely didn't even know they made these, looks a cool little car with decent NA power, wouldn't mind one of them, the bits you've done make it look a lot nicer too mate [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the splitter lasted three weeks.
20170122_160055_zpsnqhsvs9c.jpg

Went up a completely innocuous bump, sickening crunch, and they took some of the bumper with them. You can’t see it though, so not too bothered. Keeping my eye out now for a second hand BMWP bumper.
In other news, parts are gathering.
20170416_195424_zps0mkboypz.jpg

Powerflex subframe inserts and Bilstein B12’s ready to fit. They will be going on in 2-3 weeks. Then the rear tyres will be replaced next, as currently at ~3mm. Will likely go for 245 and put the 10mm spacers back on, though still undecided on the brand/model.
20170410_204500_zpsjfixvycn.jpg

@deutsche_blonde
If you're still undecided on tyre choice, I'd thoroughly recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4. They don't come in 245/35/18 (yet) but I'm using 235/40/18 on the rear and 225/40/18 front - best size combo I've used on the 130i, and best tyre I've ever used.
Hi mate, yes, I did look into them, but went for the GY Asymm 3s in the end, based on reviews from others on Baby BMW. So far, so good!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Awesome motor.
The only thing I'm not sold on is the calliper colour and sticker placement. Being the picky b*stard that I am, that sticker would drive me insane.
They'd look much better in silver, grey or black with simple 'BMW' stickers like the 135's have.

eurp_0909_11+project_bmw_135i_coupe+bmw_brakes.jpg

Just to update this. Only took 10 months to get the Bilsteins and rear subframe inserts fitted!

Initial impressions, it needs an alignment, slightly less crashy (not surprised, original shocks looked knackered), noticeably less body roll. The weather has been pants though, so not had chance to have a decent hoon. The springs have slightly lowered the front, but the rear is definitely sitting a little higher. It's only been two days though, so hopefully they'll settle a bit more.

The car desperately needs a decent clean come Spring. Cleaned it for the first time in two months the other day, unheard of for me, and it's covered in tar and other cr*p.

Saw on another thread someone mentioned the 130 feels mega dated. It depends what you're coming from I guess. It's certainly not full of mod cons, and there's a interior creak which is causing me to go a little bit mental, but for the £6k you can pick them up for now, I think they're a bit of a relatively unknown bargain.

Dirty ass

Listerine & Poledo
If by "outdated" they mean "it doesn't have a HUD or an iPad in the dash", then that's surely a good thing?

If they mean "what, it doesn't have a turbo?" then no, no it doesn't. It creates PROPER horsepower! ;)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
That was me :tongueclosed:

My friend has a silver five-door 130i M-Sport and, generally speaking, I really I like it. I think it's a nice looking car, seems to go well, sounds pretty decent and is a bit different from the usual hot hatches. However, any car with orange dashboard lighting feels like it's from the 1980s in my mind. A minor criticism overall though.

Trophy, 130i, Exige
Nice update DB.

The relative simplicity of the cabin and lack of pointless “tech” bullshit really appeals to me. Orange dials are retro cool! :cool:

Done almost 100k miles in mine and I still absolutely love it - my perfect daily driver.

Listerine & Poledo
Nice update DB.

The relative simplicity of the cabin and lack of pointless “tech” bullshit really appeals to me. Orange dials are retro cool! :cool:

Done almost 100k miles in mine and I still absolutely love it - my perfect daily driver.
If you dont mind..... if this is a daily, what's your standard MPG's out of this?

That was me :tongueclosed:

My friend has a silver five-door 130i M-Sport and, generally speaking, I really I like it. I think it's a nice looking car, seems to go well, sounds pretty decent and is a bit different from the usual hot hatches. However, any car with orange dashboard lighting feels like it's from the 1980s in my mind. A minor criticism overall though.

I, like Swanny, love the simplicity of the dash. I really wasn't bothered about the lack of Nav/pop-up display on this one either as that does age the car. Genuinely though, do they not do orange lighting anymore? :smile: Is everything just white?

Nice update DB.

Radio and a few dials (and heated seats), what else do you need!? I've only done 16k in the two years I've had this one, it's now 10 shy of 60,000.

If you dont mind..... if this is a daily, what's your standard MPG's out of this?

Mine is also used as daily, with barely any of that done on the motorway. When I'm not stuck in traffic I don't hang around, and current average MPG is 26.4.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My M135i is orange when it's dark but white during the day. Orange is definitely more gentle on the eyes.

That and the nav wouldn't bother me, but the general finish is shown up by newer models and if you had a go in a newer N54 or N55 BMW you wouldn't be missing the NA engine trust me.

Trophy, 130i, Exige

31.8mpg (using a fuel app) in my ownership, mostly fast A roads and M'way. It was almost 33 but I use it a bit more around town the last couple of years.