ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 640d

So the old man chopped in his old 640d:

542654_10152299353395593_1059646309_n.jpg

For a brand new one...

lci5.jpg

tv81.jpg

ta7v.jpg

Apologies for the rather dire pics, weather wasn't great and I only had an iPhone.

Spec wise it has:

20" wheels
Sunroof
Web browser
Soft close doors
Heated seats
Lumbar support
Ceramic finish controls (an absolute must)
Lane change warning system
Driving assistant plus (radar cruise control)
Variable damper control
Comfort access
LCD instrument panel
Drug dealer rear tints
Rear camera
8 speed auto
Plus all the other standard bits (bluetooth, navi etc)

I got to drive it for a couple of hours or so over the weekend and it is, as you'd expect for the price, a very special car. It's actually a quite a small looking car from the outside but feels huge when driving the thing, especially on country lanes where it feels extremely wide. There are a few different modes you can have it in when driving and obviously the first one I tried was sport. It gives it a more responsive throttle, allows much more use of the revs and also changes the dampers. If I'm honest you can't really just put it into sport mode and go, you kind of have to be really in the mood to nail it because if not it's just too much and I'd expect to spend 95% of its life in comfort mode which is more than adequate. When you flick between the different modes the LCD panel changes the dials to give better information for that selected mode. The gearbox is sublime and it's punishingly quick when it needs to be although this is where you get to the main issue with the car...

It's very boring, everything is just too effortless. You nail the throttle and you just feel that the car says "Want more speed Sir? Certainly" and it just does it. No fuss, no bother. You just end up the naughty side of the speed limit very quickly without the car seeming to even care. They have definitely changed the audio (maybe even piped some sound through the speakers?) compared to the previous one in terms of engine noise (it sounds like a petrol V6) which helps a bit but it is still a very dull car unless you're seriously on a mission in it. I suppose it isn't a bad thing as its a lardy grand tourer with an Aga under the bonnet.

Anyway it is still a supreme car that is perfect for what he needs and at that price range (80k) is best in the class imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I thought that was going to be a speedo vid before i watched it haha.

Looks lovely inside, not the biggest fan of the front end if in honest.

Surely that is the wrong photo. They are all of the same car.

£80k.... WTF. How much is a M6??

I sat in a M6 in the BMW showroom when I was doing the deal on my M135i.

Price on the board was about £100k

I thought the same about the photos!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Nice car but I can't get over the £80k price!
Cars seem to be getting so much more expensive nowadays in relation to wage rises/house prices etc.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Nice car but I can't get over the £80k price!
Cars seem to be getting so much more expensive nowadays in relation to wage rises/house prices etc.
Exactly what I'm thinking. An £80k car should only be available to a small minority of people going against wages etc.
Im sure it's an epic car but I honestly don't understand how they are at that price.

Can't believe I missed the roof. Lol

Leon Cupra 300
Nice cars.. 20k discounts on new orders are fairly common according to the lads on PH, along with interest free finance etc it makes them affordable per month.

Snotter's
You cant get an m5 as a customer for £500 per month without a huge deposit, they are doing an alphabet staff deal where we can get an m5 on a 2 year deal, 10k pa with £0 dep.

Now thats a deal.

The scheme also extends to family, i have ordered an m135i 5 door, auto with pro media for my brother. £375 p/m.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There is an M6 at a local BMW place, in that Imperial Blue style colour. What an amazing looking thing.

Looks proper smart. What power do they push out?

310bhp, 460lb ft. No drama like an M car, just kind of gives you more speed in an odd way. Gearbox is comedy smooth.

Interior looks pretty awesome (except the walnut...)

The interior was the biggest ball ache for him. The old one had the aluminium inside which in reality made it feel a bit cheap, looks good in a 1 or 3 but doesn't really suit the inside of the 6. The other options on the table were the hexagon silver look which should be banned and piano black which was what he wanted but couldn't cope with the inevitable finger prints and dust. Ended up (for the first time) selecting the darkest wood interior he could.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
What mpg in the real world do these get? I suppose the diesel option is based around that issue 9 times out of 10. Me and the missus are looking for a good VW Pheaton with the 5.0 V10 diesel at the moment and they get just over 30mpg to high 20's. They have 750nm of torque which helps move 2 ton around though.
These 6 Seires' really do look 1 million times better than the previous incarnation. It's just a crying shame that as good as the engines are, none have the character of the v10 m6. For that reason I'd have the oil burner over the M all day long.

DB.

BMW 440i
It'll be financed. Unless of course, he is mad lol.

Surely e.g. 2 years down the line financing a £60k car wouldn't be worlds apart from buying it at £60k and selling it in terms of cost?

E.g. with the finance you have the interest charges and with the purchase of it you have the depreciation?

What mpg in the real world do these get? I suppose the diesel option is based around that issue 9 times out of 10. Me and the missus are looking for a good VW Pheaton with the 5.0 V10 diesel at the moment and they get just over 30mpg to high 20's. They have 750nm of torque which helps move 2 ton around though.
These 6 Seires' really do look 1 million times better than the previous incarnation. It's just a crying shame that as good as the engines are, none have the character of the v10 m6. For that reason I'd have the oil burner over the M all day long.

35 he averages, slightly better than he got from his F10 530d which was a bonus.

Surely e.g. 2 years down the line financing a £60k car wouldn't be worlds apart from buying it at £60k and selling it in terms of cost?

E.g. with the finance you have the interest charges and with the purchase of it you have the depreciation?

BMW had this on 0% which was one of the main reasons he went for it. Its actually slightly cheaper than his previous one because of this, not to mention the old one was due 4 tyres and a service.

DB.

BMW 440i
So in that case, the amount he pays to rent/lease it for 2 years wouldn't be worlds apart from the depreciation?

Still trying to get my head around the benefits/disadvantages to the different ways, as I've always just paid in full the amount for a car. (Obviously never bought that expensive a car though)