ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E30 SR20DET

That was pretty much the idea as soon as I got it back - its easy enough to swap everything over the only two things that would need doing again are the bulkhead/servo modifications and seat bars.

Although, there is one issue - its not easy trying to find a non-runner. The good condition (bodywork wise) ones are usually always working and worth £1k+, more for a black one. Non-runners are generally rusty/rotten/battered and go for daft money £550-600, which is a joke considering they are a 20+ year old car. Im not too bothered about bits of surface rust but the rotten side of it is a big no no coming from this car which is solid.

I had asked a few people that were breaking them to see if they would sell the shell, but again people who break them tend to be because they are rotten, so its no good. Unless I can find a VERY cheap shell thats solid (I dont even care if its not got an engine/box/interior/running gear) not much will be happening, as I refuse to spend good money (again) on a shell. Unlikely to find one thats been stripped already though!

You spoken to Spadge etc on E30 Zone??

Replied in a couple of threads, not seen that name though. Is he a breaker?

Bad bad times, is there no other shell you could put the engine into without lots and lots of work?

Probably.. but I have Suspension, ARBs, Custom Exhaust, Propshaft, Bushes, LSD etc all for the E30 so its not really worthwhile changing the base car

I wont be able to find another LHD in as good condition for cheap money in this country correct, so yeah more than likely going to be RHD

CBR1K, F21 125D
Yeah he is, I would contact him - really top guy.

But obviously someone on the zone will have a shell ready, loads of them in barns round this way too.. can't remeber the lads name who owns them though!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Jord, would you consider a 4 door or does it have to be a coupe?

My mate collected one last week for scrap (blown engine) but the shells good. I won't see him until monday but I could ask for you?

I've PM'd a few people over on E30zone and put a thread up, will see if anything comes back from it. Yeah hes under rix313 or something on E30zone

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
Keep the shell - Cut off the full front end, fit a cage and extend the cage to space frame the front end!

Keep the shell - Cut off the full front end, fit a cage and extend the cage to space frame the front end!

If we were back in September/October I would have possibly considered it.... but coming upto spring/summer I just dont have the spare time to research/build/fabricate something like that lol

Lionel Richie
i'm still trying to figure out how it happened, was the car slammmed or something? looks a bit like the shocks bottomed out or failed and threw you off the circuit

Nah. More than likely sprung to highly or had the damping set too stiff (brand new shocks) - as mentioned a couple of posts back I hadn't adjusted the damping considering it was probably only the 5th lap, rears were set at approx 18-20clicks off soft, they go upto 50odd. I would say it wasn't even 25% throttle and the rears just spun up and threw it to one side

Turbo Beige
It should pull out on a jig that, know need for a reshell.

I know a guy in Kirkby that does it. He builds track cars, Landrover offroaders and does jig work.

He jigged 2 cars i know of that where far worse than that.

Worth taking the car up on the trailer if you could, not going to loose anything.

Send me a PM and i will put you in touch.

Yeah I know a couple of people that could do it it too, but thats the only downside having to trailer it somewhere to show someone. I'd have to pull the engine out anyway to get full access to it all - then im already 60% of the way there to a re-shell as the other stuff can be done in one hit with a couple of bolts (complete rolling rear beam chassis to chassis talking 30 minutes).

Its not that I dont want to fix that shell as I would if the price was right... but I dont think anywhere is going to come as close as £100-125 - the cost of a bare shell that someone has offered me thats rust/rot free...

I looked into it but downsides are the suspension is a different fit on the back and the propshaft will be the wrong length :(

Giving it thought at the moment as the only downside with it is its got a sunroof, but im just going to have to go with it I think. Also it would need blitzing inside and out with a paint gun along with the mtec kit so everything matches, only a weekends job I guess.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
gutted about the crash but it will come back better, knowing you.

Giving it thought at the moment as the only downside with it is its got a sunroof, but im just going to have to go with it I think. Also it would need blitzing inside and out with a paint gun along with the mtec kit so everything matches, only a weekends job I guess.

do it and spray it matt black for now will look mean as fook

Turbo Beige
Yeah I know a couple of people that could do it it too, but thats the only downside having to trailer it somewhere to show someone. I'd have to pull the engine out anyway to get full access to it all - then im already 60% of the way there to a re-shell as the other stuff can be done in one hit with a couple of bolts (complete rolling rear beam chassis to chassis talking 30 minutes).

Its not that I dont want to fix that shell as I would if the price was right... but I dont think anywhere is going to come as close as £100-125 - the cost of a bare shell that someone has offered me thats rust/rot free...

I can understand what your saying.

It depends how much you value your time compared to paying to get it jigged.

You know this shell is solid (not a given with E30's, most are pups now) and you have put the work in on the shell to get it this far. Seams a shame to give up and start again. All them little jobs that will need doing add up to lots of work, always remember that.

As an aside, did you make a note of the amount of rear travel on the dampers when at your ride height? I know of at least one person that has had issues with GAZ rear units on an E30. He only has around 30mm of shock travel. It seems to be a common GAZ issue, I have experianced with 2 cars I had with them fitted.
Its obviously something that won't have helped the rear traction issue that caused the spin.

I can understand what your saying.

It depends how much you value your time compared to paying to get it jigged.

You know this shell is solid (not a given with E30's, most are pups now) and you have put the work in on the shell to get it this far. Seams a shame to give up and start again. All them little jobs that will need doing add up to lots of work, always remember that.

As an aside, did you make a note of the amount of rear travel on the dampers when at your ride height? I know of at least one person that has had issues with GAZ rear units on an E30. He only has around 30mm of shock travel. It seems to be a common GAZ issue, I have experianced with 2 cars I had with them fitted.
Its obviously something that won't have helped the rear traction issue that caused the spin.

I'l have to have a check of the shocks, already sent them back once as the fronts were not right! Will have to see..

Picked up a bare shell this evening, right effort (5hr) getting it off its stands onto the trailer. Going to unload it on Sunday so il do a bit of an update after that!

As mentioned above I collected a bare shell on Friday evening, got round to unloading it today. Moved the black car over to one side and managed to get them sat next to each other in the garage so everything can be swapped in one go.

20100130022427.jpg

20100130022413.jpg

20100130022448.jpg

Getting it off the trailer and into the garage was interesting to say the least, engine crane and numerous jacks got us there in the end..

20100130024605.jpg

20100130024527.jpg

It came with doors too, just took them off to make it easier to strap down. Its rust free bar one small bubble on the O/S rear arch which I will sand out before painting it. Footwells, scuttle panel sides, inner rear arches and engine bay are solid. It was was originally a RHD shell, not that it matters as they all have the same holes in the chassis to have it either. I got a RHD pedalbox, column and other bits off the guy the shell was from too, so I'm going to keep it RHD. My LHD E36 M3 Rack is still in good condition so I will be able to sell that and get a RHD E46 Sport rack to run instead.

I'm going to be putting the MTec kit on this one too, but obviously its red and the kit is black. Once I've done the welding I need to do (Seat bars and bulkhead) I'm going to spend a weekend and basecoat the whole thing one color and keep it matte for the rest of the year until I decide to put a cage into it - probably getting it painted properly after that. The only work that needs to be done different to the other shell is I want to move the servo/brakes over to the drivers (RH) side and mount them behind the pedal box like on a Clio for example, unlike usually all E30s have them on the N/S with a link bar behind the dashboard.

Once its painted it will just be a matter of unbolting/bolting stuff back on and away I go.... first outing in just under 8 weeks!

Arctic Blue FF 182
Glad you found a solid shell and the project can get back on track! Look forward to the updates to come!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Sure it's nothing a good polish couldn't sort out, unless it's the same as Trophy paint.

Looks like a solid shell, did you go for LHD on purpose originally or was it just the car that cropped up at the time?

Bet this takes you all of like a week to swap everything over lol.

Good luck.