ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW E30 SR20DET

Thats what I used when I took it apart, did the trick :) After putting everything back on its like a new car, pulls 100x better and boosts the best it ever has!

New tow car purchased...

380533_10150691378518047_792028046_12051056_1999989092_n.jpg

...quite a difference from the Passat! Which is now on eBay :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330672604...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1684wt_1186

Yup its a 320d Sport on 90k, full BMWSH, etc. Although, there isn't a tow bar on it so il be getting one sorted soon. I was looking at 330d's also but decided I didn't really need the extra power (or insurance, tax and MPG difference) so went for the 320 instead. Really happy with how it drives especially coming from the Passat

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I know you are probably more than aware already f0xy, but get the swirl flaps off it asap. Then change to the 'vortex' oil breather & clean the EGR valve. All the necessary info is in my old '320d project thread'.

Great cars. Almost as nice as the trackcar ;)

Yeah I did a lot of reading before looking at buying one - going to get them off at some point this week and do the lot! Need to call in at BMW for the breather at some point, unless its cheaper to buy elsewhere. Il have a look at the thread now

Back at Oulton in 10 days again for another test, hopefully a bit better this time. Just need to re-bleed the brakes and make a heat shield for the master cylinder and it should be good to go.

Hopefully the E46 will tow nicely too - time will tell. Surprised at how well it drove in the snow, especially with how everyone moans about how 'bad they are' being RWD bla bla bla. Literally drove like normal.

395368_10150756011383047_792028046_12252983_743907472_n.jpg

Proper update soon..........

CBR1K, F21 125D
Unlucky mate, least its a car relatively cheap to put right... let me know if you need any help finding parts!

CBR1K, F21 125D
"well, that's wrote it off" lol - only a scratch mano.

Did look a bit sketchy for a few corners previous though!

Focus RS Mk1
just read the whole 20 pages, great read, shame about the meet with the crash barrier, get it sorted and keep using it.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Track was pretty slippy, i got some oversteer in the second chicane on my first lap.

182 track, Mk7 ST
Just heard about your bump from a mate, can't imagine how you must feel but the amount of work gone into this (and your previous car for that matter) is amazing!

Absolutely gutted for you but hope you get it all fixed soon and hopefully see this at a track some time soon :) saw the Clio last year at Mallory with RTOC and that was good, this seems even better in my eyes!

"well, that's wrote it off" lol - only a scratch mano.

Did look a bit sketchy for a few corners previous though!

Had some time to strip it down for a few hours earlier today.... and I was hoping it would be a scratch! Unfortunately not..

About the only thing on the front end thats still solid (thankfully) is the intercooler. Suspension/wishbone/brakes are all OK too. Radiator has twisted/split and the bumpers/panels are scrap too obviously..

20120225142720.jpg

Luckily when I was putting the engine in I took measurements of the distance between the chassis legs from both front and back of the engine bay. The first thing i measured was the difference in the front which was obviously going to be quite a bit... measured the back hoping for there to be no difference but it was approx 20mm narrower.

The steering was very notchy when we moved it after the crash and kept sticking, I thought it may have been the rack but it wasnt..

20120225142554.jpg

Its the steering linkage touching the downpipe, which means the lower subframe (that the engine sits on/rack bolts to) has moved... I could fit my hand between the linkage/downpipe beforehand.

20120225142423.jpg

20120225142441.jpg

20120225142452.jpg

20120225142501.jpg

After looking at the other side where the alternator is near the chassis leg it seems the engine has moved slightly (well, the lower subframe). But the main problem is the difference in measurements between the two chassis legs, the side that hit seems to have moved all along and took the inner wing/strut/lower subframe with it. Now if it was just the front section of the chassis leg it would be a relatively simple fix I guess, but replacing the whole leg means going from the bulkhead.

20120225142543.jpg

20120225142604.jpg

20120225142651.jpg

The upper crossmember has only deformed on the side that hit, the middle and other side have retained their shape. The lower crossmember that the radiator sits on has moved all the way along and would need replacing from the other side across to the side that hit. Obviously its fixable, anything is, but I dont want to be cutting chassis leg/inner wing/strut/ off all the way up to the bulkhead, its just not cost effective at all.

20120225142732.jpg

Time to have a think :boring:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I know you've put a lot of work in but is getting a non runner and moving all your bits over not an option?

Things are often a lot quicker and easier the second time around. GL with it anyhow.

BG 182
Gutted for ya m8, just make sure you either rebuild or re-shell it. It's well documented so like said above should be easier 2nd time around