ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW e46 325 head gasket

Iceberg 172
Hi all I think I need to replace the head gasket on my BMW e46 325, does anyone know roughly how much it would cost and can anyone do it on here?

Iceberg 172
Well im not 100% convinced it is yet There's some oil in the top of my coolant tank but there is no other signs that the head gasket is blown, I ran the car with the radiator cap off and I saw the coolant being drained into the over flow tank blue ( the colour of the anti freeze) what could this be?

Mk2 Ph2 172
Well im not 100% convinced it is yet There's some oil in the top of my coolant tank but there is no other signs that the head gasket is blown, I ran the car with the radiator cap off and I saw the coolant being drained into the over flow tank blue ( the colour of the anti freeze) what could this be?

Are you talking about just in side the Coolent bottle (that is apart if the rad) there is a little hole and Coolent is coming out of it ??? That is ment to happen

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd strongly advise getting someone who knows what they're doing to have a look at it.

Talk about jumping the gun!

Iceberg 172
Are you talking about just in side the Coolent bottle (that is apart if the rad) there is a little hole and Coolent is coming out of it ??? That is ment to happen

Yeh I know this is ment to happen but what I'm saying is the coolant is coming though that hole clear which is fine but what I don't understand is that the coolant on top of the bottle has oil mixed in, so does that apply that it isn't the head gasket? Surly if it was the whole system would be contaminated with oil?

Mk2 Ph2 172
Might just be a very weak mix of anti freeze...

Has it over heated at all, are you losing water, do you get hot air in the cab, any water mixing with the oil

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeh I know this is ment to happen but what I'm saying is the coolant is coming though that hole clear which is fine but what I don't understand is that the coolant on top of the bottle has oil mixed in, so does that apply that it isn't the head gasket? Surly if it was the whole system would be contaminated with oil?

Even if your coolant system has the tiniest amount of oil in it (from a previous repair?) and there's nothing wrong with the engine, oil will always rise to the top as its less dense than water. Basic physics.

If the car is running fine, not loosing oil or water, then you are worrying about nothing.

Iceberg 172
Yeh car runs fine, sounds fine, when I take oil cap off there is no white murky stuff on there, I done a test with the dip stick but get a lighter and heating the end I the dip stick up, if it sizzles there's water if it smokes its burning the oil and when I done that test it was smoking, I don't no if its losing water as iv only had the car 2 weeks but I keep checking and it seems fine, just odd that the is oil in there and as its feeding around the system it's coming out clear? Is there any other tests I can do to test this?

Iceberg 172
Might just be a very weak mix of anti freeze...

Has it over heated at all, are you losing water, do you get hot air in the cab, any water mixing with the oil

No it's not over heating and that heating is all working in the cab, don't think I'm lacking power either

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeh car runs fine, sounds fine, when I take oil cap off there is no white murky stuff on there, I done a test with the dip stick but get a lighter and heating the end I the dip stick up, if it sizzles there's water if it smokes its burning the oil and when I done that test it was smoking, I don't no if its losing water as iv only had the car 2 weeks but I keep checking and it seems fine, just odd that the is oil in there and as its feeding around the system it's coming out clear? Is there any other tests I can do to test this?

Why?

There's clearly nothing wrong with it.

If you read (and take in!) my post, the tiniest bit of oil/grease etc will make its way to the top of the expansion bottle.

Mk2 Ph2 172
Then don't worry about it and enjoy mate..... Might be worth getting the antifreeze replaced at the next service for good measure ;)

Why don't you take it to some one who knows what they're doing, unless you like wasting money? No offence but this thread is pretty damn retarded.

If you want my blanket advice as I haven't diagnosed the problem either, I'd say it's the dephaser pulley.

Iceberg 172
Why?

There's clearly nothing wrong with it.

If you read (and take in!) my post, the tiniest bit of oil/grease etc will make its way to the top of the expansion bottle.

Iv just spent 7k on a BMW I want to be sure, I understand that mate but what I'm saying is how would oil get in there the first place as its quite a bit (I think)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Iv just spent 7k on a BMW I want to be sure, I understand that mate but what I'm saying is how would oil get in there the first place as its quite a bit (I think)

At the risk of repeating myself.... I've said this three times now.

It may have had a previous repair. 5 years ago.

If its got the TINIEST bit of oil in the system, like half a thimble, in all of the 5+ litres of coolant, it will rise to the top.

If the car is not overheating, losing oil or losing water, not misfiring and running properly, there is nothing to be worried about.

Iceberg 172
At the risk of repeating myself.... I've said this three times now.

It may have had a previous repair. 5 years ago.

If its got the TINIEST bit of oil in the system, like half a thimble, in all of the 5+ litres of coolant, it will rise to the top.

If the car is not overheating, losing oil or losing water, not misfiring and running properly, there is nothing to be worried about.

Ok boss I hear you loud and clear I just worry that's all thanks for your help

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
But you're worrying about nothing.

For your peace of mind get the coolant/antifreeze flushed and changed. Its for the best anyway with the harsh winter coming up and costs peanuts.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Should t off the oil filter housing or bolt next to it, check if it has coolant lines running through it, had them break down inside and mix that way on mercs and audis, also if it's auto see if it has a seperate oil cooler or runs through the radiator as the core can fail inside, I wouldn't jump straight for head gasket.

Iceberg 172
Should t off the oil filter housing or bolt next to it, check if it has coolant lines running through it, had them break down inside and mix that way on mercs and audis, also if it's auto see if it has a seperate oil cooler or runs through the radiator as the core can fail inside, I wouldn't jump straight for head gasket.

Ok thanks for your input ill have a look tomorrow, do BMWs usually have oil coolers?