ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bob's track car build/project santa pod.

ph1 172
Here go's.
Me and a group of lads have been attending 1 car show a year for about 8 years now, none of us has ever had a "performance car" so for next year we all decided to build/modify a car ready for usc at santa pod 2012. Catch is its on a budget £2500 max including car WTF!!!! All have to be under 2l and N/A . No engie swap ie nova with a 2L and all has to be done at home apart from 2 items. Has to make it to the pod under its own steam and back again.
Object is to pull the fastest 1/4 mile.
Prize . Pride and £500 ( think a lap dance was dicussed as well)
And I've brought a ph1 172 :p Cost me £700 88thou miles :rasp:
180920111032.jpg

Was a non runner got it running after a bit of investigation, found the main power suply fuse blown, also the lamda sensor was faulty , ht lead squshed under the inlet manifold and the throttle body was sticking.
After replacing the following;
HT leads £25
lamda sensor £70
coil pack £free (mate was breaking one)
New plugs £35
Cleaned and polished throttle body Free.
It was running ok.
Next thing was to get the plastics off to be sprayed as they looked like some one had brush painted them silver. I also took the door handles, rear lock and wing mirror base's off.
£60 painted from a local body shop (photo's to follow)
Then the wheels where put up for sale got £200

Cost so far £690

Then i went on ebay...:dapprove:

Omp front and rear anti roll bars £160
Clear indicators £7
15 inch oz f1's with tyres £210 (multi fit ones)
And sold the rear speakers for £15

all this has taken the cost to £1052

Oil change and filter done for free buy a local garage just got to put a sticker on the car.

Sunday morning i stripped all the rear out just leaving the front seats and door cards for the moment but they are up for sale to fund buckets and harness.

Will get some pictures up soon.

Not got a clue to do with the engine, got to get a system and a good intake as there is just a powerflow back box and powertec cone filter on it.
Was thinking an ashley system for £189 mild steel i know but its cheap , also on the look out for a standard air box.
Handling wise ? its got some lowering springs on it at the mo and as we will only be going in a straight line i dont think it will matter to much.
But might ask santa (the wife) for some coilovers for christmas. (have discussed this with the lads and as its a gift will not count towards the final price:D)

Found the site very informative so far and any help would be gratefull.

Again i will post some photos up soon.
just to let you know i do know how much the boys have spent on there cars and what they are ;
1.Golf gti mk3 £900
2.Mr2 mk2 £1100
3.Focus st 170 £1650
4.Ford puma £1100
And finally the one im worried abought the most.
5.1996 honda civic b16a2 £2100 ( most off his budget but it has most things all ready done).

Whats every one think?

Last edited:
  clio 182
sounds interesting, good laugh for you and your friends anyway!

You have nothing to worry about, you have the best car :p

Clio
Or if you don't mind a bit more work you could get a set of itb's without an ecu second hand for a few hundred, then use the rest for cams and a good map, and your mates won't stand a chance

Last edited:
My mate has a civic with the b16 engine in it , we were pretty evenly matched, now mines stripped it does pull on him alot!

Saying that his car has full exhaust system and decat, different clutch, integra gearbox, and alooad of other stuff.

ph1 172
Been a bit ill the last couple of weeks will get some more pic's with a little write up on monday. Split rims, and striparge to follow......

big boost cup
go for an all out nitrous assult. 888s and stripped to fudge. raise the back etc whish i could get a few mates to do something like this

Titanium phase 1
Sounds brilliant,why havnt top gear thought of this,or have they,power to weight,the clio should win but if it's for Santa pod then personally I'd be only lowering the front but but stiffen up all round ,this way it'll be harder to loose traction,solid top mounts would also help imo,good luck mate and keep us posted