ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet opening b@ll!cks!

My new battery came today and ive just come to fit it however the bonnet wont open.

Normally when it wont open i get the missus to pull the lever and i jiggle the bonnet until it opens,however ive tried that for half an hour now and it isnt happening.I took the interior trim that covers the lever off and tried to pull the wire with my hand but in the dark ive just managed to snap the cable casing from the lever(not the cable itself but the plastic casing.I took pictures and ill try and upload.

So what are my options now?Could i strip off some of the plastic casing and use pliers to pull the cable itself?Or am i going to have to get the front bumper off and use a long screwdriver?

Main problem is im at uni in manchester and so have no tools,the batteries dead too so i cant even drive home for tools.

How tricky is removing the bumper?Is there a guide somewhere?

If anyone in the south manchester (fallowfield to be precise!) area has a tool kit i can borrow or even wants to lend a hand then i have a couple of beers that will come your way!

Completes a couple of dodgy weeks,what with the head going bang,having a wheel centre cap nicked,huuugely kerbing an alloy getting out of the way of an ambulance,then the battery dying!

RB FF 182
Hiya,

Me and my friend did a HID Conversion on my 1.2 campus years ago, and i'm 99% sure that you would need the bonnet up to be able to remove the bumper.

When you fix this, it may be worth checking with renault if your car was looked at under the safety recall 1-2 years ago? I just bought a 2002 172 and have problems with the bonnet catch. Talked to Renault and it needs lookin at under recall, absolutely free!

If you haven't had it done it may be worth getting it looked at when you get the car working again.

^Or ask them to look now? If its a fault they've recalled for they should get it open and fix it.

Track 172cup
you can get the bumper off without the bonnet open but you have to leave the grille on and detach that from the bumper, i readon here someone then managed to get a screwdriver into the gap just under the bonnet and managed to get the bonnet latch open (i tried this when i got locked out but didn't work)

have a search and you'll find the thread with pics on where to put the screwdriver

ITB BG 182
jump start it, roll it down a hill or get some one to tow you and it will kick in then just run it for a while with nothing turned on, no lights, stereo or aircon.

Track 172cup
could be wrong but i think he has a 172 aswell ???

bit weird asking for a bumper removal guide for a mx5 on a clio forum if not anyway :lolup:

jump start it, roll it down a hill or get some one to tow you and it will kick in then just run it for a while with nothing turned on, no lights, stereo or aircon.

Batteries completely knackered mate,had the RAC out who tested it and its completely dead.

I have a 172 aswell mate.

Ill have a search for that calum,could save me alot of work.

Mondeo TDCI 130
^ lol, my way takes 2 mins, but you need to get wour wallet out afterwards!! Or drive grill free ghetto stylie!

ITB BG 182
Batteries completely knackered mate,had the RAC out who tested it and its completely dead.

I have a 172 aswell mate.

Ill have a search for that calum,could save me alot of work.
I had the problem with my car, would not start an could not get the bonnet open, i live on a huge hill tho. Pushed my car around the corner an jumped in as it started to go down. Yea the car did start an went to a local dealership an said my bonnet wont open and they came a did it for free.

Bumder With A Buffer
I thought I took mine off with the bonnet open but I realised you do for the two clips underneath..

05062009776.jpg

Just push the bottom of the grill towards radiator
Best case - It unclips allowing you to take the bumper off
Worst case - You snap it and need a new grill

Cheers folks,jump start and drive to renault might be the only option however id then need to change my battery at the renault garage which they might not fancy!