ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet wont stay closed

Just went out to fill the washers up. Now when i opened the bonnet the catch at the passenger side felt a bit dodgy but it still released the bonnet.

Now when i went to close it. Its as if it wouldn't catch. It closes fully but your able to just lift it back up again. Tried dropping it and still wont stay close.

I have had a search on here but cant find a way of fixing it.

Any ideas in what i can do to fix it. Iv sprayed the latch and spring in wd40 but still nothing.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sounds like your bonnet catch has rusted . There has been 2 official Renault recalls to replace the bonnet catches . First of all I'd keep soaking it in WD40 , try pulling the cable gently as it's being soaked , it might free it up a little bit . Come Monday I'd phone Renault UK and see if yours has been recalled and replaced in the past . If it hasn't they might still replace it free of charge . Failing that you could buy a new one and replace it yourself .
DSC_0132.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Ill go out just now and soak the catch and try the cable but both top and bottom mechanisms are badly rusted.

Failing that ill phone Renault UK on Monday and see what they say.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Have you tried pushing the release back into position? Other way is push it forward and get someone to put the bonnet down for you

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Thanks for the reply. Ill go out just now and soak the catch and try the cable but both top and bottom mechanisms are badly rusted.

Failing that ill phone Renault UK on Monday and see what they say.
If the mechanism is that badly rusted it'll probably need replacing . Just soak it for now and see how you get on . I hope it doesn't stick with the bonnet closed . I've seen alot of people who've had that problem too .

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The catch needs cleaned and oiled from the back to release it properly. Take it off, there's a spring that should pull it back into the locked position and usually it all rusts up and the spring can't pull it against the rust so it sticks open. Clean it up, lube with lithium/silicone grease and it'll be fine.

2002 Renault Clio
Just fixed this on my Clio. The catch was stuck in the open position which stopped the bonnet from locking down and made the bonnet lever in the car feel flimsy.

Unscrew the two star screws on top of the mechanism which releases the catch. From there you can manually move the catch to closed and test with passenger side bonnet lever. Clean and lube it all up with some UB40 making sure the catch now automatically closes, screw it back into place and all should be right with the world.

PH2 172
Just fixed this on my Clio. The catch was stuck in the open position which stopped the bonnet from locking down and made the bonnet lever in the car feel flimsy.

Unscrew the two star screws on top of the mechanism which releases the catch. From there you can manually move the catch to closed and test with passenger side bonnet lever. Clean and lube it all up with some UB40 making sure the catch now automatically closes, screw it back into place and all should be right with the world.

UB40?