ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Booked my car in for its 60mm lowering sesh!

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
I've booked it in at last:) , its getting the Spax PSV kit, the 60mm lowering with adjustable shocks. Has anyone got it/ or used them before??

http://www.spax-suspension.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1473_3203_7704_7705_7720&products_id=1322159

They are costing £400 for the springs and £100 for fitting, realigning etc from the helpful guys at Mike Stokes Motorsport. I was hoping to get it done for cheaper but never mind!

I can't wait to get it done and it certainly needs the 60mm drop!!
P8050435.jpg
(Pic before the 172 bumper went on)

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
£400 for shocks and springs! thats knocking on the door of coilover money

Exactly!! I had hoped to get springs and shocks fitted for nearer the £400 mark as £500 was my absolute limit, hence why I'm not getting coilovers.

The problem I had was finding shocks and springs that lowered up to 60mm as most were 35-40.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Cheers Fred, but they don't do them for my model. Mine has the 58mm spacings. Its a 2001 MK2 Ph1 1.4 16v Alize. My preference would have been Eibach, but again they don't do 60mm kits.

172 cup'd extreme
Dont buy the spax i had them and the rear shocks kept bursting i had 4 pairs and finally gave up on them.
The same thing happened to edde, in spax's defence they could have sorted the issue out by now as this was some 2 years ago.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Dont buy the spax i had them and the rear shocks kept bursting i had 4 pairs and finally gave up on them.
The same thing happened to edde, in spax's defence they could have sorted the issue out by now as this was some 2 years ago.

Damn!! Did you have the shocks with the krypton gas in them??

I know the guys at Mikestokes quite well and they have always been honest with me in the past. I do remember asking a while back about which spring/shock kit to get and was always told buggar them and get coil overs but I really can't afford them. My main aim is to lower the car and stiffen the crappy ride I'm getting at the moment and try and reduce the excessive body roll. I'm really not sure what to do now!

H22A7 Accord Type R
apex do 40mm and 60mm kits! They are excellent, the 40mm set is the best for driving on - the springs and shocks work perfectly together........slightly more bouncy on the 60mm springs.

For the money - all £250 ish of it - the apex are superb! Cheers Fred

CS Dungeon

Damn!! Did you have the shocks with the krypton gas in them??

I know the guys at Mikestokes quite well and they have always been honest with me in the past. I do remember asking a while back about which spring/shock kit to get and was always told buggar them and get coil overs but I really can't afford them. My main aim is to lower the car and stiffen the crappy ride I'm getting at the moment and try and reduce the excessive body roll. I'm really not sure what to do now!

Get a set of KTR/Gaz coilovers and with the change get them set up correctly.

I have had 2 sets of Gaz coilovers and there really not that hard..............well not un-manageable anyway.

Ph 1 172
okies straight down the line now stop being a gay fit everything yourself and then go to a garage to check it over be much cheaper. 60mm looks good.....how much are shocks on there own as i only slapped springs on

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
okies straight down the line now stop being a gay fit everything yourself and then go to a garage to check it over be much cheaper. 60mm looks good.....how much are shocks on there own as i only slapped springs on

^ ok, straight up reply ........ NO!

If I was a mechanic I'd fit them, i'm not so I'll leave them to the people that do it for a living. You must have a decent level of practical skills to attempt anything yourself and I don't, not through lack of trying though.

Ph 1 172
no to be honest mate i had no idea.... i never done no work on a car in my life its seems hard but its only a couple of bolts there is a really good guide on here with pictures and everything if i was you id try and do the rears and see how yo uget on they are one single bolt and you pull the old ones off and new ones go on. it aint to hard just need some time

CS Dungeon
Glyn, if you can get upto Cambridge I will fit them for £50 for you.........show you how easy it really is.

You will be very suprised :)

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Glyn, if you can get upto Cambridge I will fit them for £50 for you.........show you how easy it really is.

You will be very suprised :)

Cheers Mate,

Very tempted, more for seeing how they'd be fitted rather than the actual cost of fitting as I know the petrol costs would be over £50 lol!

I'll let you know mate, thanks.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
Right just read through loads of pages regarding lowering and there are really mixed opinions.

Above the Apex were recommended, but I've since been told there are too harsh a ride in terms of being too hard.

The Spax kit I was after seems expensive for what it is, but it is adjustable.

Has anyone tried both and are able to give a good comparison. I have pmd' Gas performance and john2modified to see what they recommend and what prices they can do, i may be interested in coilovers if i can find them at the right price ;-)

I have seen on different sites that coilovers can't be adjusted much on cars with a rear torsion bar??

FK Highsport Coilovers - The FK Highsport Version II coilover kits are the most popular, best-selling and most.known FK coilover kit. Manufactured with high quality shock absorbers, a perfect setup of your car is possible ! In cooperation with the shock manufacturer and the TÜV , our engineers develop the suspension kits at famous race tracks like the Nürburgring Nordschleife, to make our suspension kits to one of the finest available.
On most applications the front as well the rear is height adjustable by a thread, of course step-less. A few cars don’t allow a height adjustment by a thread at the rear (e.g French cars with torsion bars at the rear),

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
You don'y have a rear torsion bar, so will get rear height adjustment on coilovers. Many also say FK's are very firm....I agree as I had them on my 172.

FTO GPX 2.0 V6
^ Cool I thought I did.

If Fk's are really firm it seems my best option is to go with the adjustable Spax kit then?

there will always be people saying this setup is too firm, and this setup is bouncy. Basically without trying them you wont know what you think of them. What you can get from reviews is how often the parts fail and from the above, spax fails lots so should be avoided. Never heard anything about apex failing so should be good! Personally I would go eeibach sportlines which is a 40-50mm drop on a Non-Reanultsport clio with either the Eibach shocks or Koni Yellows

H22A7 Accord Type R
if you are worried about harshness, get the apex 40mm kit and stick to a sensible tyre size? At the end of the day, you are never going to get it on its arse and it be comfy

Right just read through loads of pages regarding lowering and there are really mixed opinions.

Above the Apex were recommended, but I've since been told there are too harsh a ride in terms of being too hard.

The Spax kit I was after seems expensive for what it is, but it is adjustable.

If Fk's are really firm it seems my best option is to go with the adjustable Spax kit then?
IF you'd search the forum you'd know post ive made on this subject time and time again and would keep away from spax at all costs. Either spend the money on good suspension or not at all.

The spax adjustbalility is usless you never use as its no use and there kit is poorly made and overpriced.