ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio project (8500rpm + boost)

clio 2ph1 1.2
hi guys
i´m thinking in make a engine swap in my clio mk2 ph1, i´m trying to get any information i can get to put a honda k20 motor from civic type-r ep3 into my clio.
i´m curious how you make the supports for the engine and gearbox mounts...do you have any pics that you can show me? i know that motor is not the same as the k20 but the mounts may be slighty equal of yours. i hope that you can help me with any information that you have ;)

chears

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My mounts would be NOTHING like for a k20 mate, my engine sits the opposite way around to the k20. Yours will be more similar to standard clio mounts.

clio 2ph1 1.2
yes i know the engine is in the same position of my clio engine, but the chassis suports for the mounts of the k20 is different, is slightly equal of your engine mounts but in the opposite side. you will make a new installation for the electronic or you will combine de installation of the honda motor with the clio? and about the transmissions?
i have a lot of questions for this swap, that is the reason i´m trying to get any information about that. and you are doing a similar swap.

chears mate

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm using Honda engine and box, I made some mocked up mounts just out of plate steel up to hold it in place, I will be using aftermarket management and an aftermarket dash with no renault wiring. Driveshafts will be custom made too.

clio 2ph1 1.2
can you put some pics of the mounts? or the place where the mounts are? what type of aftermarket you will use? you only have to modify de transmissions, not the hub right? this is very interesting for me :) nice project by the way

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah can do next time I'm near it mate, it's just a couple of steel brackets I've made though and welded to the subframe and then big cotton reel mounts on them and more brackets onto the engine and box, but like I say it really won't be relevant to what you are doing.

I will keep the standard outer cv joints and hubs and get shafts made to suit.

Look at andyrg's project on here with the Audi engine that's more similar in terms of layout to what you are doing.

I am using autronic sm4 engine management.

clio 2ph1 1.2
i've seen booth engines and the mounts are similar but in the opposite side. thats whi i wanna see how you made yours :) just to keep a ideia of how its made.

clio 2ph1 1.2
i know they arent the same. they are similar. is just to make an ideia in my head about of all i have to do.

do you will use de sm4 but because is more easy to make the change or is because you want to turbo it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm using autronic sm4 because its my favourite management to map, it works well turbo or n/a and it talks to my race technology dashboard.

If you can't picture a flat bit of plate with a hole drilled in it on the frame and a cotton reel mount sat on it, then a 90 degree bracket off the box and off the engine sat on those cotton reels I'm not entirely convinced you should be attempting to do the conversion to k20, if you are stumbling at the really basic first step of just getting it to sit in the bay what chance do you stand of completing the conversion?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i know they arent the same. they are similar. is just to make an ideia in my head about of all i have to do.

do you will use de sm4 but because is more easy to make the change or is because you want to turbo it?

they are less so similar than the k20 and the f4r!
b18 sits the other way around in the bay, so it's on the opposite side of the car, has the inlet where the exhaust is and exhaust where the inlet is. Only thing similar is the badge on them!

clio 2ph1 1.2
i dont understand what i'm saying. i know the engines are different. the mounts too. the engines work in opposite side i know. but the form of the mounts are similar than a f4r mounts.
i can say to you that the swap will be home made by me. i dont understand why you think i'm dumb just because i'm trying to get information. is more easyer for me if i see a mount done or imagine how i gonna do. i'm not telling you that they are equal.

i'm thinking to use a defi dash. what do you think?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've not used a defi dash personally but their products are normally decent quality.

The mounts I'm using are like this:
207089.jpg

clio 2ph1 1.2
what dash are you using? i have done some research and people say good things about defi.
nice you have made de mounts and put this to absorve the impact of the engine... nice :)

when you can, put some pic of the engine bay. :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
what dash are you using? i have done some research and people say good things about defi.
nice you have made de mounts and put this to absorve the impact of the engine... nice :)

when you can, put some pic of the engine bay. :)

Yeah the mounts need some rubber in them or it ends up too harsh on the driveline etc.

Im using a race technology dash 2, if you look back a few pages there are pics of it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Aren't those rover v8 mounts? Ideal as universal mounts!

Yeah, the ones I am using are actually square not round, but that was first picture google through up along the same lines.

Mine are actually land rover gearbox mounts.

This is the actual ones:
nrc2052%5Bekm%5D300x225%5Bekm%5D.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Nice option indeed, especially for custom mounts.

already have vibra-technics expensive buggers for the 5 but they are redundant. You won't ever rip them off as the rubber is on both sides of the bracket.

clio 2ph1 1.2
nice :) that is a good choice. i will follow your idea about these mounts and put some rover on it :)
if i dont mind and if you can, can you take a picture of the steel mounts that you have made?

thanks, chears mate

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
nice :) that is a good choice. i will follow your idea about these mounts and put some rover on it :)
if i dont mind and if you can, can you take a picture of the steel mounts that you have made?

thanks, chears mate

Will do mate, but they are only mockups at the moment, they arent anything like finished quality items, its just a couple of bits of 5mm steel welded together so that one bit bolts onto the gearbox and the other bit has a hole in it for the mount to poke through and accept a nut.

Its in a workshop I dont go to very often though, as this is very much a background project, so I dont know when I will next be there (am sat 150 miles away from it as I type this)

clio 2ph1 1.2
yes i understand mate :) when you can, i dont have any rush :)
i just have subscribed this project. is one to follow

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Danpl6 popped round mine today to use his Clip setup to turn off the airbag light now my mrs has got trandlines, and while he was here we decided to have a look for a wiring fault on the mk1.

Its looking a lot less finished now, FLOL

A954FFD3-649D-4614-9DF9-187FDAF2C6E0-2072-00000163D4A93A9A.jpg

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
chip it's prob somewhere else but whats the rest of the omg plate?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Working fast enough you can't see my hands ;)

Tbh mate I was geneuinely surprised how quickly you had that dash out, must have been under ten mins by a fair margin, maybe even under 5, I was thinking it would take me an hour or more. Lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Started mapping this yesterday, feels quite nice at the top end so far although nowhere near done yet, still getting beaten in a straightline by Dan's RS2+197cams 172 at the moment but hoping it will be roughly a fair fight once I finish the mapping, need to get a new Autronic programming lead as there is an annoying loose connection in mine currently which was interfering when mapping.

Will get some photos now its a whole car and working, although it still needs some panels making on the dash and buttons mounting in them etc before its done, and Ive still got some other jobs to do on it as well so its certainly not finished as such, but certainly getting there now.

Hoping to have it over to Dan's workshop for me and him to swap the box for the quaiffe diff'd one on the ramp on sunday.

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
Ahhh I see,

going back to the mounts, you made a strong metal piece to bolt to the car and then another one to bolt to the box and put the land rover rubber in the middle to join them???

Sounds simple enough!?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes mate, thats exactly what I did, I found a place the mount would sit where it could be connected to both the frame and the engine, and then cracked the welder out to make it so.