ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio project (8500rpm + boost)

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Chip-mk1 - how are you getting on with this project?

Where are you getting your custom driveshafts made up? I assume Honda box one end, Renault the other?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cracking stuff. The K is an amazing engine, considered one for this project but decided for the power I want (only around 300) the B makes more sense.

Mk8 GTi CS & Ph1
ill always remember the guy at FCS 08/09, had a K20 in a saxo, and when asked why, he said cause its the best 4 cyl NA engine out there!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
And he is right!

I was going to transplant the 400bhp (to be) f7r in the back but the honda engine has so much more potential!
plus it's a fair bit lighter which comes in handy too being in the back of a renault 5 :p

98434523-9EF4-43C8-8B74-57EEB2ABF7A0_zpszyekbwtf.gif

DD05F750-B18A-4F87-AE33-C8E78F6E5B48_zpshbmj13ku.gif

172 cup, Impreza P1
And he is right!

I was going to transplant the 400bhp (to be) f7r in the back but the honda engine has so much more potential!
plus it's a fair bit lighter which comes in handy too being in the back of a renault 5 :p

98434523-9EF4-43C8-8B74-57EEB2ABF7A0_zpszyekbwtf.gif

DD05F750-B18A-4F87-AE33-C8E78F6E5B48_zpshbmj13ku.gif

Fair play mate, look forward to this project!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Awesome, but do you mind if I ask why RWD??

Chip - be interesting to see what you take to track days once this is built, or will the ph1 be sold?
Can't see me selling the ph1. Will just swap about a bit between them like I've always done when I've had a few track cars at once.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not near my engine (it's in Somerset at my workshop stil but I now live in notts)
so no progress on the honda side of the project.

But the rest of the car is coming along now.

Fitted an mtec v4 to it as a temporary measure as the autronic I will be using on the honda conversion doesn't like the Williams crank sensor setup.

Got it on the road today, and done enough to the map to get a feel for how it handles with the other bits I've done to it which are a roll centre correction kit and a set of nitron coilovers with AST top mounts.

The turn in is incredible and I've not even geo'd it yet as had other things in he garage and the drive isn't flat enough to do it properly so for now just done it by looking at it and making it point about right.
Struggling to think of the last car I drove that was as responsive on the steering as last few years I've just been trackda ting road cars really rather than anything track biased, probably porkies mark fish prepared 172 I guess.

Proper loving it. Hopefully have it ready for Bedford at the beginning of May for an evening session.

Forgot to get pics other than this one:

20C710CD-BA56-4E4A-8E5E-D551976D41BC-154-0000000BC56268CB_zps6c9a444c.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The rears aren't upto much but at the price they were they made sense to buy just for the fronts for the mk1.
Really pleased with them although I think I will get
them lengthened a tiny bit when they go for a rebuild just so I can have slightly more droop.
will see how I get on though, might find with the stronger springs I don't need as much droop anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What makes your mk1 handle so well mate??

See the pic above mate? With the little cones that push down the joint locating positions, thats what.

It corrects damage to the geometry done by lowering the car.

So normally when you lower a car you gain benefits from centre of gravity going lower, but you pay for it with the roll centre angles effecting how the weight acts as the cornering forces make the car lean further, but done how mine is now you get best of both worlds, ie you get the correct geo and the lower C of G.

Have a look at this page for a reasonable explanation:
http://www.meganracing.com/tech/faqs.asp?id=106&subject=Suspension

Also the nitron shocks help too of course! (they are 90NM springs which is quite firm)

But essentially, its because the net effect of these two changes is that it leans less now that it turns in so aggressively.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Very nice Chip. :)

Thanks mate, Ive sort of realised now what a good spec the car actually is, Ive just been plugging away for ages with a bit here and a bit there, and its now really quite a well rounded little car.

Will type up a quick spec sheet later as per its current state of play just to give people an idea.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thanks mate, Ive sort of realised now what a good spec the car actually is, Ive just been plugging away for ages with a bit here and a bit there, and its now really quite a well rounded little car.

Will type up a quick spec sheet later as per its current state of play just to give people an idea.

When will it be out on track mate?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well, this is where its at now, weird it finally being a car after so long from starting as little more than a bare shell when I bought it from @Andyrg , Ive just been kind of tinkering away here and there for the last couple of years and now at last its ready to use :) So I am properly looking forward to getting it out on track soon to drive it properly.
Not too shabby TBH for a temporary spec till the honda engine goes in, really starting to feel like the car is getting ready for it now :)

Shell
Clio mk1 16v shell in Liquid Yellow
Carbon bonnet
Bmw E36 power cable and distribution block
Lightweight heater
Base model manual windows
Williams steering rack

Interior
Corbeau Bucket seats and 4 point harnesses
6 point Rollcage with harness bar
172 dash conversion
Race technology Dash 2 dashboard and DL1 datalogger
Floor mount Pedal box (with no servo)
Lightweight race battery moved to rear
Lowered and extended williams steering column
Pop off suede trimmed 280mm steering wheel
Extended gear linkage to relocate shifter further back

Brakes
Braided lines
Main front to rear lines routed through the car
Adjustable brake bias built into pedal box
Wilwood radial mount calipers and 295mm disks
Mintex F4R race compound pads
Altered handbrake location

Engine
F7R williams engine, rebuilt with ARP conrod fasteners
Kent 285 camshafts
172 flywheel and clutch
Custom inlet made from chadil manifold, pulsar plenum, and cosworth throttle body
Aftermarket (V4) engine management
Polyflex dogbone mount
Wallbro 255 fuel pump
Supersprint 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
2 18" Simons straight through 2.5 centre boxes
Magnex back box

Suspension
AST gold top mounts
Custom Nitron R1 front coilovers
Roll centre correction kit with rose jointed bottom joints and track rod ends
Gaz adjustable rate rear shocks with rear torsion bar
Polyflexed 172 bottom arms
172 Hubs

Transmission
172 drive shafts
172 Cup gearbox
Quiaffe torque biasing diff
172 extra gearbox mount
B&M short shift

Wheels and Tyres
4 sets for different circumstances

Dry Track/Road
Clio mk1 ph1 turbines
Toyo 195/50/15 tyres

Inter Track/road
172 Oz F1
Federal RSR 595 typre 195/50/15

Dry Track
172 Oz F1
Michelin Pilot sport Cup 205/50/15

Wet Track
172 Oz F1
Michelin competition wets

Last edited:
  Trophy Turbo :)
Simon, I loved this car is was awsome, at least it was sold to some one who loves cars as much as me !!!

Ensure we get some photos.

# should not have sold

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep, you should have kept it but I am SO glad you didnt!

I really do LOVE this car!

Will bang a bit of a summary thread up now its on the road as Im sure most people have lost interest in visiting this going on forever thread, lol

Will get some more pics soon too, hopefully some track ones!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cool pics andy, hopefully it will be back out on track very shortly for a few more :)

Looking forward to seeing you at croft, although might be in the RB182 not this one I am afraid mate as I think Les would prefer to do a track for the first time in a car she is more used to than one she is currently only had a drive of during a bit of mapping.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks mate.

TBH its not very fast compared to stuff I'm used to, but that doesnt mean it can still be great fun and it really is :)
I have more fun in my cup with approximately 50% less hp than my Astra! Lol! Driving experience is just so much better and that's where it's at for me now. Roll on May the 1st so I can get it taxed and back on the road again. You can only be a hooligan so much in a works transit connect van!!