ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio project (8500rpm + boost)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I have more fun in my cup with approximately 50% less hp than my Astra! Lol! Driving experience is just so much better and that's where it's at for me now. Roll on May the 1st so I can get it taxed and back on the road again. You can only be a hooligan so much in a works transit connect van!!

Ha ha,
yeah is very easy to focus too much on power and not on the other things that really matter for enjoying the drive.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Good to see the mk1 going again chip! And indeed, not too shabby spec for a temporarely beast!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Guess I'd better give this thread the painful update.

Did a few trackdays in it at Bedford / Snet / Cadwell.

DSC_6028_zpsa23e31ac.jpg

DSC_5716_zps515adfc5.jpg

DSC_5758_zps5791cdd2.jpg

DSC_5998_zps06afe6d8.jpg

DSC_6219_zps3efe36ff.jpg

DSC_8155_zps610317c0.jpg

DSC_7729_zpsd2316863.jpg

DSC_8099_zps7db03c13.jpg

DSC_7685_zpsbda877ed.jpg

Unfortunately the cadwell evening ended like this.

5AAC970A-440B-4C87-B2BE-1F7EE30A43D8-3936-00000606265F35DF_zps785e8121.jpg

Have now got the engine out ready to crack on with the B18 swap anyway though as the legendary Nick Gwinnett is confident he can sort the shell out.

C6ACDCA9-3EC0-4E7D-BD37-F05C5021443D-4545-000008B388D0A07D_zps5e227e23.jpg

New rear quarter Nick is going to put in:

E2726BBC-0192-48A8-A9DD-017FFECC0372-4270-000008217B2081FB_zps233b3804.jpg

Will be a few months before I get back to this one now though as I need the workshop space for other cars I need to do more urgently, so going to roll this into my dads garage and forget about it till the new year now.

Not lost interest in it at all though despite how that might sounds, it was EPIC fun to drive, and it really did handle astonishingly well, so am still totally committed to it long term, but need to focus on other cars that I am going to be using sooner.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It looked great in those photos, up until it met the tyre wall :(
Mate it was fecking superb, I was so happy with how it drove and handled, felt like 3 years building it was all worthwhile!

Just a pain I had a little more ambition than talent in the worst possible conditions at cadwell (had rained for two days then stopped for two hours, so track was dry enough to carry BIG speed in the bends but if you touched the kerb or grass it was all soaked and you were heading for the wall and FAST)

Should have gone for the "discretion is the better part of valor" and knocked it back a notch but it was just so awesome addictive how it handled that I just kept pushing harder and harder, I had a sideways moment in the middle the chicane which is normally a killer but managed to catch it and that just inflated my confidence even further so I was just charging as hard as I could and using every inch of track, then a few spits of rain started happening and it meant that the speed I made it round the lap before was now enough to just run very slightly wide, and at that point it was game over, I cant believe how little speed it lost on the soaking wet grass, in fact cause of the gradient downhill I think it was actually speeding up slightly as I hit the barrier.P
Properly hurt and still suffering quite badly with whiplash now.

But, I am very happy it will make its return. :)

Fingers crossed. Sadly until it gets down to Nick and onto the jig we arent going to know for certain, but from the pics and the discussion we had on the phone he seems to think its a viable repair.

I checked the geo and amazingly other than a tiny change in front toe ( like not even 2mm) its exactly as it was before the crash, so despite the shell itself folding in all sorts of directions higher up it looks like the actual suspension mounting points have all got away with it.

clio 182 trophy
At least your ok though fella could have been a lot worse!

Is there much run off space there as i have heard there isn't a great deal at certain parts? Never been but it looks a tidy track.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh cool, so you are rebuilding it now? I thought the plan was to move on? If you are rebuilding it then fantastic, looks awesome in the pics!

Yeah I wasnt going to rebuild as replacing the quarter is WELL beyond my welding and painting skills, but Nick Gwinnett has volenteered to help out and reckons it should be doable (although wont know for certain till he has the car) so I have decided to carry on now.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
At least your ok though fella could have been a lot worse!

Is there much run off space there as i have heard there isn't a great deal at certain parts? Never been but it looks a tidy track.

Yeah, no real harm done to me, and luckily no one else in the car at the time.

Got bad whiplash which still hurts, but gentle swimming and very gentle weight training seems to be helping it.

Cadwell shows no mercy.

Ive hit the grass at a lot of tracks in the last 20 years of doing trackdays, the only 2 where I have got to the barrier though are cadwell and the ring! So little run off at both!

Nippy white cup
Gutted m8. This happened to me at Oulton....guy in front dabbed his brake where I don't, I reacted and once the back tyre touched the dewy grass it was all over. Got full lock on pretty quickly but was more luck than driver skill that let me get away with it lol

[video=youtube_share;ozCiYJBINDE]http://youtu.be/ozCiYJBINDE[/video]

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah its worse when its someone else fault I think as you would end up feeling really hard done by that it wasnt your fault, luckily I only had myself to blame, just tried slightly harder than I had the available grip for, no one else involved.

I try and give others room for that reason but its not always possible.

You were lucky the grass was pretty dry by the looks of it, on wet grass you'd have been in, its really quite amazing the difference in grip between wet and dry grass, when I came off my first thought was I would stop in time, as Ive only spun on dry grass before (I dont normally push too hard in the wet but like I said this handled so well it was addictive!) and so I initally thought I would get away with it, but it just didnt slow down at all so I went in really really hard!

Lesson learned TBH! Silly pushing that hard next to wet grass when I had no trophy to win or anything, different if its a race but it wasnt!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I too have been caught out by a dry track and damp kerb. Lodge corner at Oulton, I did a 180 but it was back onto the track so kept it on the tarmac. I've never been at maximum attack since!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I too have been caught out by a dry track and damp kerb. Lodge corner at Oulton, I did a 180 but it was back onto the track so kept it on the tarmac. I've never been at maximum attack since!

I guess we all have to learn that lesson, some of us just need it ramming home harder than others before we grasp it, lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As long as it doesn't end too badly its all good fun! Do you need any more lessons or is that going to be the last lol

I dunno, I have had quite a few lessons before where I have just got away with it and not learned so not sure if this will see me graduate from the "class of more ambition than talent" or not!

Realistically though, with an extra 100bhp the next time I drive it, I will be less obsessed with carry every single mph out of the bends, so ironically I think making it more powerful will make it safer in some ways!

Clio Williams & 182
I've had a similar incident in my Williams and it was repaired fine. I got the whole rear section new from Renault and replaced the door. All sorted!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sadly that section isnt available new anymore :(

Ive been looking for a NOS one but not had any luck.

Still keeping eye out now, but at least I have this excellent secondhand one if not.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Realistically though, with an extra 100bhp the next time I drive it, I will be less obsessed with carry every single mph out of the bends, so ironically I think making it more powerful will make it safer in some ways!

I can see that working, for a short while at lease!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Sorry to read of your mishap but very honest of you to take full blame for it. Most would have blamed someone or something for it so fair play.

Looks like it was good fun and will live again though so not all bad. Hope you get it back on the road at some point.

Did this car have a quaife diff fitted to it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry to read of your mishap but very honest of you to take full blame for it. Most would have blamed someone or something for it so fair play.

Hey if I had someone else to blame I would, we all love pointing the finger elsehwere for our own mistakes, me included, but I built it and I was driving it, so sadly I have no one to pass the buck to, lol
I could try blaming the weather, but I had eyes so was able to see I should be going slower in case I touched a wet kerb, I just wrongly thought I had enough talent to avoid the kerbs even at the pace I was going.

Looks like it was good fun and will live again though so not all bad. Hope you get it back on the road at some point.

Thanks mate :)

Did this car have a quaife diff fitted to it?

Yes mate, both my clios do, I think they are great bits of kit.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Yes mate, both my clios do, I think they are great bits of kit.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one over a gripper or 02M setup but am undecided. whats your thoughts on them compared to a gripper with the whole traction v maintenance debate. (Bear in mind once mind is built I dont want to be taking the box out all the time unless its broke lol)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm seriously thinking of getting one over a gripper or 02M setup but am undecided. whats your thoughts on them compared to a gripper with the whole traction v maintenance debate. (Bear in mind once mind is built I dont want to be taking the box out all the time unless its broke lol)

Ive driven quite a few cars with both types, and the plate type is undoubtedly slightly faster round a track, but if you do a lot of road miles its less pleasant and more maintenance, so its very application dependant.
I see the quaiffe as being 90% of the performance increase for 0% of the maintenance and 0% of the bad manners when parellel parking etc, so for me just using the car for a bit of fun on track that makes sense, if I was racing though I would deffo go plate.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Ive driven quite a few cars with both types, and the plate type is undoubtedly slightly faster round a track, but if you do a lot of road miles its less pleasant and more maintenance, so its very application dependant.
I see the quaiffe as being 90% of the performance increase for 0% of the maintenance and 0% of the bad manners when parellel parking etc, so for me just using the car for a bit of fun on track that makes sense, if I was racing though I would deffo go plate.

Cheers for that mate. I will be racing hopefully but what costs do you think the plate diff would need in maintenance and how often(ish) would it need anything done to it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers for that mate. I will be racing hopefully but what costs do you think the plate diff would need in maintenance and how often(ish) would it need anything done to it?

Road miles are the big killer for plate diffs, going round roundabouts etc is working the diff the whole time, if its racing use only you will probably find the diff lasts as long as the gearbox will anyway before it needs a rebuild.

Road miles are the big killer for plate diffs, going round roundabouts etc is working the diff the whole time, if its racing use only you will probably find the diff lasts as long as the gearbox will anyway before it needs a rebuild.

How do you know when it needs rebuilding? Is it the fact that one day it'll work and the next day it wont? Or will you be able to notice/feel it wearing out over a time period?

So could it leave you in a potentially s**tty situation if it just decides to break one day?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How do you know when it needs rebuilding? Is it the fact that one day it'll work and the next day it wont? Or will you be able to notice/feel it wearing out over a time period?

So could it leave you in a potentially s**tty situation if it just decides to break one day?

When they wear you just find that they have less of an effect, they dont normally stop working, they just tail off.

But I dont think on a fragile box like a 172 one, that you will notice it happening much between box rebuilds anyway so I dont think the gripper will be the reason you need to take it apart.

When they wear you just find that they have less of an effect, they dont normally stop working, they just tail off.

But I dont think on a fragile box like a 172 one, that you will notice it happening much between box rebuilds anyway so I dont think the gripper will be the reason you need to take it apart.

Are we talking less of an effect that anyone can notice or just someone who races their car. So could it be a while before someone has even noticed it's started to wear off?

I've never driven a Clio with a diff so I literally have no idea what it'll feel like.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are we talking less of an effect that anyone can notice or just someone who races their car. So could it be a while before someone has even noticed it's started to wear off?

I've never driven a Clio with a diff so I literally have no idea what it'll feel like.

Its quite a gradual thing, so quite easy to miss.

Quaiffe is the same 20,000 miles later

But its less good than the gripper to start with, I guess if you used both for long enough, there would be a crossover point in your laptimes eventually but I suspect the gearboxes would both be in bits first in this case!

Its quite a gradual thing, so quite easy to miss.

Quaiffe is the same 20,000 miles later

But its less good than the gripper to start with, I guess if you used both for long enough, there would be a crossover point in your laptimes eventually but I suspect the gearboxes would both be in bits first in this case!

Interesting thanks man

172 cup, Impreza P1

The car will do very very little road miles, possibly just driving to and from the tracks, so possibly a gripper might suit my needs better.

Sorry for all the questions but what is involved in fitting either and who would be recommended to do it?

Cheers again mate.